ADVERTISEMENT

Ever embarrassed in the past to be a UK football fan?

Been 70 years for us. Unless you count the year we got caught cheating, and some say football was thrown under the bus then to save basketball.
c'mon man
you know Bassett paid the coaches and people around Alert Means, Bama just outbid UK
that had nothing to do with basketball

the worst part about it was the kid had no idea that he was up for sale

Reactions: BigTyrone
c'mon man
you know Bassett paid the coaches and people around Alert Means, Bama just outbid UK

c'mon man

I have never been ashamed to be a UK football fan. EVER

Reactions: rudd1
I have never been ashamed to be a UK football fan. EVER
as i stated before
i have never been ashamed of any UK sport
even when Bassett got outbid and we got put on probation or when Sutton got the BB team on probation

i am a UK fan all the way through

Last edited:
Back in 2003, I told my cousin's husband, BIG UT fan, when Kentucky beats UT at Neyland, the sun will rise in the north. We stunk back then.

Fast forward to 2020, we blew those Vol asses out. At Neyland. In the Vol house. In front of manipulative Phat Phil.

While the sun rose in the east on October 17, 2020, I was drunker than GD Cooter Brown and savored every second of our victory in Vol land. I still have not shut up about it to this day.

Thank you Coach Stoops. Thank you Coach Marrow.

Back in 2003, I told my cousin's husband, BIG UT fan, when Kentucky beats UT at Neyland, the sun will rise in the north. We stunk back then.

Fast forward to 2020, we blew those Vol asses out. At Neyland. In the Vol house. In front of manipulative Phat Phil.

While the sun rose in the east on October 17, 2020, I was drunker than GD Cooter Brown and savored every second of our victory in Vol land. I still have not shut up about it to this day.

Thank you Coach Stoops. Thank you Coach Marrow.
tenor.gif

Yes. Any time we did the "Two Bits" cheer. Felt like we were a middle school team going up against college teams...

Sat in commonwealth and watched Indiana score like 55 on us in the rain. That was rock bottom for me.

c'mon man

I was pretty close to the program in those days, heard some whispers about recruiting, but never heard about Bassett or anyone else paying Coaches involved with Albert Means.

The internal investigation by Larry Ivy was initiated after a complaint by a booster whose money was used to pay “travel expenses” of a Coach/coaches and players from a school in Memphis, but not Albert Means’ school.

I was pretty close to the program in those days, heard some whispers about recruiting, but never heard about Bassett or anyone else paying Coaches involved with Albert Means.

The internal investigation by Larry Ivy was initiated after a complaint by a booster whose money was used to pay “travel expenses” of a Coach/coaches and players from a school in Memphis, but not Albert Means’ school.
Hack you remember how Albert Means had no clue he was being auctioned off
he wanted to go to Memphis out of H.S.
after it was all over and UK fired our coaches and got put on probation and Bama did whatever punishment they did, he transferred to Memphis

Yes I have. Two instances that immediately come to mind: the 42-point loss to Arkansas where joker basically forfeited after the 3rd quarter, and the home loss to Southern Miss after leading big.

I've never been embarrassed to be a UK football fan, because I realize that what team anyone cheers for means nothing in real life. We all know the people that are completely defined by a sports allegiance, be it UK, UL, Cowboys, or whoever. Those people need to get a life. I love UK football and at times have had to teach myself that I shouldn't be as upset as I am over defeats, but if you are ever truly embarrassed based upon your allegiance to a sports franchise, you have issues. I know tons of people that are Bellarmine and Transy fans because they went there. They both play either UK or UL in basketball just about every year. Their alums are proud as shit to play us and get their ass kicked. That is the way it should be.

after it was all over and UK fired our coaches and got put on probation and Bama did whatever punishment they did, he transferred to Memphis

Yeah, that’s the history of Means, and Bama’s resulting probation.

Again, UK’s involvement in Memphis was regarding Robertson, and his eventual commitment.

Didn't Bama impose severe punishments on itself by scheduling games at the end of their season AT Hawaii several years in a row?

Didn't Bama impose severe punishments on itself by scheduling games at the end of their season AT Hawaii several years in a row?

During their bowl ban and bowl drought, they took on Hawaii in late Nov. or early December IIRC.

During their bowl ban and bowl drought, they took on Hawaii in late Nov. or early December IIRC.
Yes, they did. Back in late Nov / early Dec 2002, my wife and I took a vacation out to Hawaii; splitting our time between Maui and Oahu. At Maui we got to see UK BB play Arizona St IIRC in the Maui classic.

Anyway, at Oahu we stayed at Waikiki, and the place was swarming with Tide fans there for the game against Hawaii. We went to one of these cheesy touristy Hawaiian luaus, and well over half the people there were bedecked in their Tide gear. We heard a lot of “Roll Tide”chants, and my wife hates Alabama with a passion…. It definitely put a damper on that part of our trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hack
Yes, they did. Back in late Nov / early Dec 2002, my wife took a vacation out to Hawaii; splitting our time between Maui and Oahu. At Maui we got to see UK BB play Arizona St IIRC in the Maui classic.

Anyway, at Oahu we stayed at Waikiki, and the place was swarming with Tide fans there for the game against Hawaii. We went to one of these cheesy touristy Hawaiian luaus, and well over half the people there were bedecked in their Tide gear. We heard a lot of “Roll Tide”chants, and my wife hates Alabama with a passion…. It definitely put a damper on that part of our trip.
Your wife is wise. That Tide crap would get annoying.

Reactions: ukalum1988
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT