ADVERTISEMENT

Ever embarrassed in the past to be a UK football fan?

I have always loved the Cats no matter how bad of a season. Probably the most letdown was the time we played Arkansas and they kicked our butts. I think there was a storm delay and we just quit. Mitch said our boys were hungry!! I couldn’t believe it!
We got mercy ruled due to the lightning, which was a blessing. The bright side of that game for me was meeting Rich Brooks and talking fishing

Reactions: jauk11
Just remember Duke IU Kansas NC Villanova Conn football not better. Michigan State rate elite school that has had some success in both sports. UK starting to outrecruit Sparty as well. Tough to win in both. At this point Not considering Florida or Michigan as elite etc. As soon as Michigan got good in basketball. OSU started pounding them in football. UCLA football also nothing special. UK can balance it as well as anyone with Stoops.

I will say when I wear UK geared stopped wearing any UK gear. on trips, it’s only football-related. Our basketball fans aren’t exactly beloved nationally. I’d probably be more embarrassed to wear that gear
In last two years, I’ve pretty well stopped wearing any UK gear. Whole school too woke for me. No donations either.

I mean, to further my point above, look at our own fanbase. How many people on Rafters have you never seen post here.

On the one hand, the bandwagoners who only care about basketball and never went to UK, I guess OK hey, thanks for spending your money with us.

On the other hand, the folks who are UK alums or native Kentuckians and don't support the football team....I'm not sure those people aren't worse.

It's funny you bring that up. Houses in the town I live in now have Bama stickers on their vehicles, Bama flags at their house. 25 years ago thoses same people, ok mostly the men, had FSU stickers, tags and flags.

Their defense is "I pull for a winner". At least it isn't that ugly arse orange of the vols.
Bunch of bandwagoners. At least you know when you see UK and we're talking football, we're legit.

I mean, to further my point above, look at our own fanbase. How many people on Rafters have you never seen post
I mean, to further my point above, look at our own fanbase. How many people on Rafters have you never seen post here.

On the one hand, the bandwagoners who only care about basketball and never went to UK, I guess OK hey, thanks for spending your money with us.

On the other hand, the folks who are UK alums or native Kentuckians and don't support the football team....I'm not sure those people aren't worse.
They post here but normally on the game day thread, it’s so negative I quit following it. Another good example is the thread started by a Rafters regular shortly after Goodwin committed and said he’d still be taking visits. Anything negative and they flock here, most dramatic bunch of men I’ve ever witnessed.

Bunch of bandwagoners. At least you know when you see UK and we're talking football, we're legit.
I mean how freaking insecure can you be to state you only pull for a team because they win??? That sounds like someone who gets their sense of superiority from following a winning team.

Nothing more laughable than some of our absolutely stupid Raftards pounding their chests throughout the South—because we beat their team in basketball.

I mean how freaking insecure can you be to state you only pull for a team because they win??? That sounds like someone who gets their sense of superiority from following a winning team.

Nothing more laughable than some of our absolutely stupid Raftards pounding their chests throughout the South—because we beat their team in basketball.
Those are the moments I've been embarrassed to be a UK football fan. When the idiots start trying to trash talk rowdy visiting fans when they were up big by yelling "we'll beat you in basketball season anyway." No one else in the South cares. Get your head out of your ass people.

We have weekend visitors, the wife’s friend and her husband, he sort of follows sports and loves baseball. Anyhow, told him I followed NCAA football religiously which prompted the question “Who’s your team?”. After saying Kentucky, I got the response “Sorry to hear that” which brought up memories and allowed me to educate him on the trajectory of the program.

Anyhow, I’m approaching 60 and have been following UK football since ‘76 and I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “sorry to hear that” over the years. I was never really embarrassed to be a fan but I can remember watching games with Navy buddies from Alabama and other SEC states who had good teams and feeling disappointed knowing we’d be lucky to win 4-5 games. Glad we’re past that point, makes the season a lot more fun.
Never embarrassed, but I have spent most of my adult years away from the Bluegrass. I did not even really know what was going on when all my fraternity brothers watched football all day every Saturday in the Fall. None of them other than the very Carolina or Duke fans even cared for basketball. My first big city was Memphis, the same thing but on steroids as all my friends were SEC fans. I went to many a game in the Grove (still remember the UK loss there) and T-Town. Then I moved to Austin, the same year they won the Championship. I never faltered cheering for KY, although all my friends always wondered why.

I barely even watch basketball, but would listen to the Cats in my car in TX (still remember beating GA). Needless to say, our time now is what I have been waiting for my entire sports-watching life. I still remember vehemently defending Stoops on this board and facebook etc. I am grateful every day for what he has done for the program. Times have certainly changed.

Never embarrassed, but I have spent most of my adult years away from the Bluegrass. I did not even really know what was going on when all my fraternity brothers watched football all day every Saturday in the Fall. None of them other than the very Carolina or Duke fans even cared for basketball. My first big city was Memphis, the same thing but on steroids as all my friends were SEC fans. I went to many a game in the Grove (still remember the UK loss there) and T-Town. Then I moved to Austin, the same year they won the Championship. I never faltered cheering for KY, although all my friends always wondered why.

I barely even watch basketball, but would listen to the Cats in my car in TX (still remember beating GA). Needless to say, our time now is what I have been waiting for my entire sports-watching life. I still remember vehemently defending Stoops on this board and facebook etc. I am grateful every day for what he has done for the program. Times have certainly changed.
Listening in your car n Texas reminds me of when I was in the Army at Ft Bliss, used to drive my 49 chevy coupe ($150) up the side of Mt Franklin so I could listen to WHAS clear channel station through the static.

In last two years, I’ve pretty well stopped wearing any UK gear. Whole school too woke for me. No donations either.
You certainly have a point. And it looks like it is going to turn into who has the most money------if it hasn't already.

Actually, I have. Not by being outplayed AND outmanned, but by out of control play....and not just for one series.
Embarrassed to hear an opposing coach struggle to find something complimentary to say.
Embarrassed to be every other teams homecoming game.

Those days seem to be gone...I hope for good.

Reactions: jauk11
Pretty amazing how many fans the football site picks up during wins and how quick we read the lines:"...at least basketball season is soon..."
That line and the fans screaming and posting "wait till we see you in basketball" have to grind in the UK football players hearts.

We got mercy ruled due to the lightning, which was a blessing. The bright side of that game for me was meeting Rich Brooks and talking fishing
This game for me. Being there in person I was embarrassed not by taking a huge loss (seen a lot of those) but by the administration. We spent an hour underneath the stands during the weather delay. Administration sent the band and cheerleaders back to the hotel during that time and they stayed there. Came back out to watch the rest of that beating sans band/cheer. Not sure how the fans were supposed to take that with the admins giving up in the first quarter

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Back in the 70's 80's I went to 21 games before I saw the Cats win a game I believe it was North Texas State. I wrote in to the Catspause and Oscar Combs replied to my comment and said I deserved an award for staying on the band wagon. I have to admit those were dark days for UK FANS.

I will say when I wear UK gear on trips, it’s only football-related. Our basketball fans aren’t exactly beloved nationally. I’d probably be more embarrassed to wear that gear
Wear basketball gear in New Orleans,Chicago,Destin a lot of other places. I have never had a bad comment. Guess there could always be a first time. No problem yet.

Reactions: gojvc and mebeblue2
At this point, anyone who makes that reply identifies as not really following college football much at all. Anyone can walk around repeating the litany of the traditional power programs, and these days they'd often get that wrong if aged 60.

Nebraska? Michigan? UCLA? Washington? Tennessee? Miami (FL)? Syracuse? Notre Dame?

"I'm sorry to hear that."

UK football is more compelling these days, at least in terms of the football being played and program trajectory.

Eventually, that "traditional power" trophy case is less impressive when it has not seen a major addition in 20 or 30 years.
Forgot... TEXAS. Would love to play Texas in a bowl game ASAP... assuming they Q for a nice bowl... before the whole idea fades into history.

Yes. I've been a fan since Stoll Field.But when we lost to Western, that " They supposed to be SEC" stung me.A LOT.That day just sucked.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Being a Browns fan and a Wildcat fan, I am embarrassed by nothing. It is a good time to be a fan and the last 2-5 years have been a true helluva ride. It is great to see 30+ years of fandom finally pay off. :)

I don' t know about good manners - more likely to do with Happy Chandle's daughter.
In my junior year,1964, we were playing Xavier at Stoll field. They were winning and trying to run out the clock. They ran back to back quarterback runs and gained 5-10 yards per carry. I can't remember a Kentucky quitting like that!

We have weekend visitors, the wife’s friend and her husband, he sort of follows sports and loves baseball. Anyhow, told him I followed NCAA football religiously which prompted the question “Who’s your team?”. After saying Kentucky, I got the response “Sorry to hear that” which brought up memories and allowed me to educate him on the trajectory of the program.

Anyhow, I’m approaching 60 and have been following UK football since ‘76 and I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “sorry to hear that” over the years. I was never really embarrassed to be a fan but I can remember watching games with Navy buddies from Alabama and other SEC states who had good teams and feeling disappointed knowing we’d be lucky to win 4-5 games. Glad we’re past that point, makes the season a lot more fun.
A portion of the Bill Curry years was difficult to stomach, But there were just some seriously head hanging times during the Joker Phillips years. Basically forfeiting after a lightening storm delay in Arkansas was a pretty low point. Getting boatraced by South Carolina where we basically looked like an NAIA team was another low point. there were a few in those 3 years.

In my junior year,1964, we were playing Xavier at Stoll field. They were winning and trying to run out the clock. They ran back to back quarterback runs and gained 5-10 yards per carry. I can't remember a Kentucky quitting like that!

At least one book claims the game was given away by U.K. players on the take.

And that game was the last UK loss to a school on the FCS level to my knowledge.

At least one book claims the game was given away by U.K. players on the take.
I read the book and don't believe it. The QB was a good friend of mine and don't believe he would be part of such a thing.

I was absolutely embarrassed as a football fan when WKU beat UK two years in a row. The second loss in a row that took place in Nashville to Bobby Petrino in his very first year sucked. Gotta admit, at the time, I was really questioning whether the Stoops hire was a total debacle. When Morgan Newton sacked himself I was ready to put the paper bag over my head.
My how times have changed because Stoops didn't take any shortcuts. The tortoise vs. the hare.
https://images.app.goo.gl/D3hQe1fovpxbqG2LA

Not really, sure have seen some terrible games and bad seasons for sure, but that is part of life.

But last year, I finally told a friend of mine to quit texting me ONLY when the Cats lose a tough one (like he did right after the Ole Miss OT missed XP debacle). I made it plain it sure was strange that he allegedly was a UK fan but I NEVER got a text from him when UK won a big one (like the Tennessee beatdown just a week or two later)

He got the message and we are still friends, I mean, we all are fellow long suffering Cat fans, and can laugh at ourselves, but I had just had my fill of snarky texts from a semi fan who never buys a ticket or goes to a game.

I wasn't old enough to remember the later Curry years and the Couch years. But I do remember the Lorenzen years as he was the reason I became enamored with Kentucky football. But I was at one point embarrassed to be a UK fan, and surprisingly, it wasn't the back to back losses to WKU that did it to me. It was the Florida debacle where we left an uncovered receiver, not once, but twice. That game ruined me, I wanted Stoops gone, and until he was gone I wasn't going to watch another single UK game again. It was inexcusable... And I was embarrassed.

My father brought me back later in the year thankfully. I was sick of the losing... And not having the talent pool to compete in the SEC every year. I'm still not satisfied, I want CHAMPIONSHIPS... And I hope we can get there.

Reactions: RunninRichie
At this point, anyone who makes that reply identifies as not really following college football much at all. Anyone can walk around repeating the litany of the traditional power programs, and these days they'd often get that wrong if aged 60.

Nebraska? Michigan? UCLA? Washington? Tennessee? Miami (FL)? Syracuse? Notre Dame?

"I'm sorry to hear that."

UK football is more compelling these days, at least in terms of the football being played and program trajectory.

Eventually, that "traditional power" trophy case is less impressive when it has not seen a major addition in 20 or 30 years.
Been 70 years for us. Unless you count the year we got caught cheating, and some say football was thrown under the bus then to save basketball.

I hope we win a National championship in every sport every year-and I’ll watch the run like I did the volleyball team this past year (that was A LOT of fun and excitement BTW)…but football is the ONLY sport I’m going to watch every minute of every game of every season no matter if we go 0-12 or 15-0. I’ve been a Kentucky fan AND a Cubs fan all my life and I can tell you this: to stick with your team through bad times & watch them build & exceed your wildest expectations and win a championship (like the Cubs did and hopefully UK Football will one day)…it’s incredibly rewarding to me. Now I just have to keep myself from getting spoiled & expecting the Cubs to win a championship EVERY 108 years. 😉
Well I hope you live to see the Cubs win it all again even if it is another 108 years!

Never embarrassed.

Even growing up in mid-Michigan with wolverine fans. Wore my UK gear proudly (through some terrible seasons in 80s and 90s) and never hesitated to tell people that I’m a UK fan….basketball AND football.

Many times. I was in Nashville for the beatdown WKU put on us in Stoops' first game, and I was at LSU in 2014 for that 41-3 beating when we were 5-1 going in to the game. I was fortunate enough to get into a suite at Tiger Stadium for that one, and riding down the elevator after the game with a bunch of LSU fans I said, "I feel like the Saints fans when they used to put a bag over their head." That drew a few laughs, but I was serious.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT