ADVERTISEMENT

Ever embarrassed in the past to be a UK football fan?

bluecoon1

Senior
Jul 18, 2017
We have weekend visitors, the wife’s friend and her husband, he sort of follows sports and loves baseball. Anyhow, told him I followed NCAA football religiously which prompted the question “Who’s your team?”. After saying Kentucky, I got the response “Sorry to hear that” which brought up memories and allowed me to educate him on the trajectory of the program.

Anyhow, I’m approaching 60 and have been following UK football since ‘76 and I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “sorry to hear that” over the years. I was never really embarrassed to be a fan but I can remember watching games with Navy buddies from Alabama and other SEC states who had good teams and feeling disappointed knowing we’d be lucky to win 4-5 games. Glad we’re past that point, makes the season a lot more fun.

At this point, anyone who makes that reply identifies as not really following college football much at all. Anyone can walk around repeating the litany of the traditional power programs, and these days they'd often get that wrong if aged 60.

Nebraska? Michigan? UCLA? Washington? Tennessee? Miami (FL)? Syracuse? Notre Dame?

"I'm sorry to hear that."

UK football is more compelling these days, at least in terms of the football being played and program trajectory.

Eventually, that "traditional power" trophy case is less impressive when it has not seen a major addition in 20 or 30 years.

Last edited:
Nope. I look at it as an opportunity to educate the ignorant and spread the gospel of the Cayts.

As I've always pointed out, those fans are rarely big basketball or baseball fans of their school too. Because they suck. But we support our football team through thick and thin. When you're a Kentucky fan they know you're legit and not some t-shirt bandwagon. Like most of Alabamas fan base.

Nope. Never have. Even in the Curry era. In the words of Andy Dufresne ": Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."
Great movie. Never ashamed of my team. When living in Alabama, I found that those knowledgeable fans respected our program greatly. They understood the game and appreciated how hard our guys played, but they new we'd give out in 3rd & 4th quarters because of depth. Had more than one say we played harder than anyone and it took a while to recover after playing UK.

I mean, to further my point above, look at our own fanbase. How many people on Rafters have you never seen post here.

On the one hand, the bandwagoners who only care about basketball and never went to UK, I guess OK hey, thanks for spending your money with us.

On the other hand, the folks who are UK alums or native Kentuckians and don't support the football team....I'm not sure those people aren't worse.

Perfect example of the cover up being worse than the crime. Except really dumb because it wasn't a crime. But he still tried to cover it up. So dumb.

Had more than one say we played harder than anyone and it took a while to recover after playing UK.
This and how physical the team was, have been said for years.

Great movie. Never ashamed of my team. When living in Alabama, I found that those knowledgeable fans respected our program greatly. They understood the game and appreciated how hard our guys played, but they new we'd give out in 3rd & 4th quarters because of depth. Had more than one say we played harder than anyone and it took a while to recover after playing UK.
A lot of my friends from Alabama (most Alabama fans but a couple Auburn guys) really respect Kentucky and Stoops. They are knowledgeable and aren’t insecure like some other fanbases.

We have weekend visitors, the wife’s friend and her husband, he sort of follows sports and loves baseball. Anyhow, told him I followed NCAA football religiously which prompted the question “Who’s your team?”. After saying Kentucky, I got the response “Sorry to hear that” which brought up memories and allowed me to educate him on the trajectory of the program.

Anyhow, I’m approaching 60 and have been following UK football since ‘76 and I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “sorry to hear that” over the years. I was never really embarrassed to be a fan but I can remember watching games with Navy buddies from Alabama and other SEC states who had good teams and feeling disappointed knowing we’d be lucky to win 4-5 games. Glad we’re past that point, makes the season a lot more fun.
I've been disappointed and heart broken but never ashamed of being a Cat fan.

Probably the only singular time I was embarrassed to be a UK FB was the 73-7 beatdown that Spurrier and Company put on the Cats back in 94.

It was on my birthday and my wife had set up a little birthday at the married dorms of one of friends at McNeese St in Lake Charles.

Back in those days there weren’t nearly as many televised options as there today. Watching that beatdown, as the only UK fan in the room, at a party in my honor, was really hard to take.

Yes, I’ve been a LSUKFBF…. but the program is in the best shape of my lifetime….

Reactions: jauk11 and The-Hack

Upset and angry sure but never ever embarrassed. Our history in the SEC is thin, but the Cats are my team and I love ‘em. Proud to be a Wildcat sports fan.

Playing golf a while back and tossing down a few later a Gator fan ask if we were going to have a football team this year,another Gator fan said have you been watching college football the last few years,this is not your grand father's Kentucky teams,these teams can kick your ass and take names.
I just sit back and smiled and didn't say a word.

I have been a UK Football fan since the 50s. Seen a few great teams and some less than great years. Once went 13 years and did not miss a home or away game. In all that time I never was embaressed to be a UK football fan. To me this is the glory years I thought I might never see.

Never embarrassed, but sometimes ya have to embrace the suck

…… went to the Gator game in the Swamp hoping to see a good matchup between Trevard Lindley and Percy Harvin during the Brooks years. I knew we couldn’t win. But twas fun; tailgated with some Gators I met on the Rivals Gator board, and they “upgraded” our tix. We were 12th row, but nary a UK fan around my buddy and myself.

lost 63-5, was pretty proud of the safety, but Lindley was owned by Harvin. After a while we just shouted to send in the band to play….. had to say something… maybe some would say we were embarrassed by saying such …. But I look at it as being a UK fan proudly embracing the suck….

PS: not that Lindley played that poorly, but Harvin was a mid air freaking acrobat

Last edited:
I have always loved the Cats no matter how bad of a season. Probably the most letdown was the time we played Arkansas and they kicked our butts. I think there was a storm delay and we just quit. Mitch said our boys were hungry!! I couldn’t believe it!

i am a UK fan
i would never be embarrassed because a UK sport lost games

i do think it is sad and pathetic that some "football only "fans abandoned ship when the FB team struggled
i felt the same way last year when some "basketball only" fans abandoned ship because the BB team struggled last year
but the fans i am ashamed of are the ones that want a UK sport to struggle because the sport they like is struggling or never really been on the national level
they are not true UK fans in my book

Reactions: TIE543 and Chum83
i am a UK fan
i would never be embarrassed because a UK sport lost games

i do think it is sad and pathetic that some "football only "fans abandoned ship when the FB team struggled
i felt the same way last year when some "basketball only" fans abandoned ship because the BB team struggled last year
but the fans i am ashamed of are the ones that want a UK sport to struggle because the sport they like is struggling or never really been on the national level
they are not true UK fans in my book
I hope we win a National championship in every sport every year-and I’ll watch the run like I did the volleyball team this past year (that was A LOT of fun and excitement BTW)…but football is the ONLY sport I’m going to watch every minute of every game of every season no matter if we go 0-12 or 15-0. I’ve been a Kentucky fan AND a Cubs fan all my life and I can tell you this: to stick with your team through bad times & watch them build & exceed your wildest expectations and win a championship (like the Cubs did and hopefully UK Football will one day)…it’s incredibly rewarding to me. Now I just have to keep myself from getting spoiled & expecting the Cubs to win a championship EVERY 108 years. 😉

Reactions: mebeblue2
I hope we win a National championship in every sport every year-and I’ll watch the run like I did the volleyball team this past year (that was A LOT of fun and excitement BTW)…but football is the ONLY sport I’m going to watch every minute of every game of every season no matter if we go 0-12 or 15-0. I’ve been a Kentucky fan AND a Cubs fan all my life and I can tell you this: to stick with your team through bad times & watch them build & exceed your wildest expectations and win a championship (like the Cubs did and hopefully UK Football will one day)…it’s incredibly rewarding to me. Now I just have to keep myself from getting spoiled & expecting the Cubs to win a championship EVERY 108 years. 😉
i agree
i want every UK sport to win
i am life long Bengals fan, i know sticking with your team through think and thin

i had a lifelong friend (RIP) he was a die hard baseball fan he did not really follow any other sport except golf
he went to every UK baseball game he got the chance to go to and about 30 Reds games a year
he was also a UK fan and wanted every UK sport to thrive even though he did not follow them

Reactions: Chum83
I have always loved the Cats no matter how bad of a season. Probably the most letdown was the time we played Arkansas and they kicked our butts. I think there was a storm delay and we just quit. Mitch said our boys were hungry!! I couldn’t believe it!
was just thinking the same thing, THAT was embarrassing

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Probably the only singular time I was embarrassed to be a UK FB was the 73-7 beatdown that Spurrier and Company put on the Cats back in 94.

It was on my birthday and my wife had set up a little birthday at the married dorms of one of friends at McNeese St in Lake Charles.

Back in those days there weren’t nearly as many televised options as there today. Watching that beatdown, as the only UK fan in the room, at a party in my honor, was really hard to take.

Yes, I’ve been a LSUKFBF…. but the program is in the best shape of my lifetime….
I went to that game. It was horrible. I left at halftime; forfeited the money on my motel room and headed home. I live in FL, so it was only about 4 hours away, but what a beatdown. I am usually fairly optimistic at games, but that one really got me down. More so than any game in my lifetime.

Embarrassed? Try living in a state where the state university beat your team 23 times in row and try to hold your head up in a conversation about football. Now it's the other way around, I can't find anyone that want's to talk about football 😁 Thank you Mark Stoops.
I live in KY on the KY-TN border and there are UK basketball-UT football fans and its disgusting.

I've been a fan of Kentucky football ever since I watched Woodson and Co. trounce EKU with my dad at Commonwealth Stadium back in 2007. By God, I'll die a UK football fan.

I might be blue when a weak-ass NP5 team's player says, "THEY 'SPOSED TO BE SEC!," but I'll be blue in more ways than one.

Reactions: The-Hack
Embarrassed? Try living in a state where the state university beat your team 23 times in row and try to hold your head up in a conversation about football. Now it's the other way around, I can't find anyone that want's to talk about football 😁 Thank you Mark Stoops.
and fat phil!

Never. I have never been embarrassed to be a UK football fan

You live in Tennessee?

I guess they want to talk roundball, now!!

Reactions: daveroh
Nope. I look at it as an opportunity to educate the ignorant and spread the gospel of the Cayts.

As I've always pointed out, those fans are rarely big basketball or baseball fans of their school too. Because they suck. But we support our football team through thick and thin. When you're a Kentucky fan they know you're legit and not some t-shirt bandwagon. Like most of Alabamas fan base.

It's funny you bring that up. Houses in the town I live in now have Bama stickers on their vehicles, Bama flags at their house. 25 years ago thoses same people, ok mostly the men, had FSU stickers, tags and flags.

Their defense is "I pull for a winner". At least it isn't that ugly arse orange of the vols.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT