ADVERTISEMENT

Even if these teams we're playing aren't very good...

TheySoSensitive

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2012
Doesn't change the fact that we have all the pieces to win a title. I realize it's extremely early but I'm basing this on the individual players and what they could become rather than their performance against some international teams.

We are going to be a matchup nightmare for teams. We have 4 good or better bigs all with different skill sets. We have 3 point guards all with different skill sets(2 of which shoot 3s proficiently). Between Herro and Johnson we have 2 elite scorers whose games fit together like puzzle pieces(both have shown to be proficient shooters). The guys are *constantly* working on their own, last team to do that was the 12 team. We finally have some veterans and I don't think any of us realize just how much easier it makes Cal's job by having his older guys teach the new guys the simple stuff so he doesn't have to waste precious practice time with something part of the team already knows.

I think Hagans will be Cals best defensive guard ever and it won't be close. I also think he will improve on a game by game basis and will be one of our better players in March/April offensively as well. Once he learns to use his speed and develops a little floater he's going to be tough to stop. We don't know of he can shoot or not, but Fox couldn't shoot and he went wherever he wanted on the court so I'm not too worried about that but it would be a nice bonus. Much like Herro and KJs games complimenting each other, Hagans and Quickley/Green are like that as well. Pick your poison...at every spot on the floor.

In reference to the teams that we're playing, one thing we can say for certain is that they are far superior teams to the ones that UK played for the 2014-15 Bahamas trip. With that in mind, that team lost 1 game down there (played 2 more games too though), and had an average margin of victory of 20.2 (averaged a margin of victory of 28 over their first 3 games, which were their best games, which this team has matched over the 3 games played so far).

Just looking at the skills being utilized though, because talent is a very visible thing, I don't see any real holes in this team. We have an incredibly elite perimeter defense that will force a ton of turnovers and should have the ability to lock down big time scoring players on the perimeter, we have some very efficient shooters, we haven't had a hint of turnover issues, we have absurd depth, we play a style that should run most teams out of the gym with the elite depth and athleticism, we have some very, very skilled big men, we have strong bigs, we rebound the ball very, very well by the looks of it, and seemingly everybody on the floor is a high motor player based on the play thus far. I'm thrilled with the pieces we have.

Reactions: flash123
Doesn't change the fact that we have all the pieces to win a title. I realize it's extremely early but I'm basing this on the individual players and what they could become rather than their performance against some international teams.

We are going to be a matchup nightmare for teams. We have 4 good or better bigs all with different skill sets. We have 3 point guards all with different skill sets(2 of which shoot 3s proficiently). Between Herro and Johnson we have 2 elite scorers whose games fit together like puzzle pieces(both have shown to be proficient shooters). The guys are *constantly* working on their own, last team to do that was the 12 team. We finally have some veterans and I don't think any of us realize just how much easier it makes Cal's job by having his older guys teach the new guys the simple stuff so he doesn't have to waste precious practice time with something part of the team already knows.

I think Hagans will be Cals best defensive guard ever and it won't be close. I also think he will improve on a game by game basis and will be one of our better players in March/April offensively as well. Once he learns to use his speed and develops a little floater he's going to be tough to stop. We don't know of he can shoot or not, but Fox couldn't shoot and he went wherever he wanted on the court so I'm not too worried about that but it would be a nice bonus. Much like Herro and KJs games complimenting each other, Hagans and Quickley/Green are like that as well. Pick your poison...at every spot on the floor.

GP, are you under the weather?:rolleyes:

In reference to the teams that we're playing, one thing we can say for certain is that they are far superior teams to the ones that UK played for the 2014-15 Bahamas trip. With that in mind, that team lost 1 game down there (played 2 more games too though), and had an average margin of victory of 20.2 (averaged a margin of victory of 28 over their first 3 games, which were their best games, which this team has matched over the 3 games played so far).

Just looking at the skills being utilized though, because talent is a very visible thing, I don't see any real holes in this team. We have an incredibly elite perimeter defense that will force a ton of turnovers and should have the ability to lock down big time scoring players on the perimeter, we have some very efficient shooters, we haven't had a hint of turnover issues, we have absurd depth, we play a style that should run most teams out of the gym with the elite depth and athleticism, we have some very, very skilled big men, we have strong bigs, we rebound the ball very, very well by the looks of it, and seemingly everybody on the floor is a high motor player based on the play thus far. I'm thrilled with the pieces we have.

Yadda, yadda, yadda... GP.

Agreed...we really don't have any weaknesses even this early. I'm amazed at how well we've been taking care of the ball and this may be the best passing team we've had in quite a while. Like you said there are no weaknesses. There's nothing anyone in the country can do that would cause us more difficulty than it would cause them. Also noticed PJ hit a 3 tonight...if he can just hit one a game that would make us that much more dangerous. His form looked more compact and quicker than it did last year so it's clear he's been working on that(now his ft stroke looks more like his shot last year). Man it's awesome to have a team who hits open jumpers.

I will be interested in how we perform against good guards and teams that control the tempo.

And refs that control tempo, and flow of the game.
That’s the key. These teams may not be great but the team we played last night had multiple future NBA players and is far better than an SEC bottom dweller.

We took Bemax out of their flow altogether. Can you imagine how bad we would have beat them if they’d had to worry about foul trouble?

what do you mean if? the teams are hot garbage.

According to the announcers, and a few different guys that specialize in overseas scouting, the last 2 were quality teams that should give Kentucky trouble. I think Fraschilla was one of them.

UNC fan here and I must say your team does look really impressive. Hero is a stud and you guys are pretty deep at every position. If you guys can consistently hit the three at a good percentage you will be a very tough out in March. Looking forward to our December game and hope you beat the shit out of dook in the opener.

I just wish we could have gotten to see Baker and EJ.

Baker is kind of the forgotten man, but he has an offensive repertoire much like Herro’s - great mid-range game and perhaps an even slightly better outside shooter. I’m afraid he’s going to be injured for two years, then transfer. As much as we all love shooters - hope he’s ready to play in November.

EJ showed flashes in the first game, but it was our worst played game so far. In games 2 and 3 we settled into a pretty smooth rotation with our three bigs, so my one concern would be how are we going to get every one of our bigs the time they deserve. With foul trouble, injuries, and the pace and energy we play with, we’re going to need them all for sure.

Unless Baker can shoot the ball at an almost insane level I don't see him getting off the bench.

Too many dudes ahead of him. Keldon Johnson isn't coming off the floor. Herro and Quade are going to play a ton. Baker is going to have to fight. This won't be his year if I had to guess. Hope he sticks it out though.

Great post OP
You make some excellent points
Can’t say I disagree except for the quality of the teams we’re playing. They aren’t quite the elite of the NCAA, but neither are they chumps. They were mostly grown men with experience.
I think we’re really that good that we made them look worse than they are.

Then again...it might just be my blue tinted glasses talking:sunglasses:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT