ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN's Most Dominant Teams In Last 20 Years

SuporChin

Sophomore
Mar 2, 2011
I saw this article thinking for sure the 2012 title team would be on this list. Nope! But they do have the 2001 Duke and 2008 Kansas teams on there. There's some BS explanation about the statistical method this guy used to determine dominance but if you used the eye test, c'mon, our 2012 team was clearly better than those other two.

I'll hang up and listen.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22839747/the-20-most-dominant-champions-20-years-sports

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I really don't understand the 2008 Kansas love.

A notoriously easy break in the tournament and they needed a mid-major to miss free-throws just to steal the title.

Kentucky in 2012 would have smashed them, losing only two games.. one on a buzzer beat to Indiana and once to Vandy in the SECTF.. both teams were Tournament teams and Kentucky never lost by more than 7...

A notoriously easy break in the tournament and they needed a mid-major to miss free-throws just to steal the title.

Kentucky in 2012 would have smashed them, losing only two games.. one on a buzzer beat to Indiana and once to Vandy in the SECTF.. both teams were Tournament teams and Kentucky never lost by more than 7...
Revisionist history, plain and simple.

Lol

50omSPq.jpg

Who cares what the clowns at ESPN think? No amount of lists they make can change the fact that the 2012 team absolutely steamrolled college basketball that season.

Also noticed that they put 2008 Florida football ahead of 2001 Miami. Ya, this list holds no validity at all

Reactions: SuporChin
Who cares what the clowns at ESPN think? No amount of lists they make can change the fact that the 2012 team absolutely steamrolled college basketball that season.

Also noticed that they put 2008 Florida football ahead of 2001 Miami. Ya, this list holds no validity at all
You’re right. Those biased morons didn’t even attempt to make some sort of metric to base it on!! Hell, I think our 38-1 team was better than the NC team. But one game defined that whole season...

What are you laughing at? 08 Kansas is not even close to one of the best teams the last 20 years. Wouldn't be top 10 for sure.

It took an epic collapse from a mid major program for Kansas to win.

2012 would smash 08 Kansas by 20+

lol

You couldn't even "smash" a much worse 2012 Kansas team.

Pomeroy ranks KU 08 significantly higher than UK 12. Maybe you have a datapoint you can rebut that with. Let's see.

The only Pomeroy team the past 15 years with with a higher score than Kansas 08 was 2015 Kentucky.

lol

Pomeroy ranks KU 08 significantly higher than UK 12. Maybe you have a datapoint you can rebut that with. Let's see.

The only Pomeroy team the past 15 years with with a higher score than Kansas 08 was 2015 Kentucky.

Relying on data that utilized extremely small sample size to argue in itself is foolish. It just shows you how little you understand about these metrics. The fact that you are trying to argue across the years makes it even less reliable.

Finally, 2012 team is young, starting 3 freshman and 1 coming off the bench. They weren't crazy good early in the year, especially the fact that AD wasn't AD till later that year anyways.

You can use metric, but the fact is.... 2012 tourney team would easily win against 08 kansas, like it did in 12 kansas. We were basically on cruise mode since start of second half.

2008 KU got outplayed & should have lost to Davidson & had one of the easiest roads to the final 4 of all time. Memphis was a much better team & KU had an ineligible player in D Arthur & Chalmers was paid big $ to go to KU.

You made 5 statements, all of which were false. That's impressive shooting when you think about it. A true marksman.

lol

Was a 15-20 point game from the outset pretty much. Kansas made a late run to make the score respectable but the outcome was never in doubt. About as close to a smashing as you'll ever see in a national title game. Completely outclassed.

What are you laughing at? 08 Kansas is not even close to one of the best teams the last 20 years. Wouldn't be top 10 for sure.

I watched that Kansas team and I don't see what the hoopla was about them. I get the '01 Duke love and I'll admit that team was frustratingly good. If Chalmers hadn't hit a miracle three, Kansas wouldn't have even been on that list.

When it comes down to it, 2012 UK would have beaten 2008 KU simply because we have Anthony Davis and they don't. He was that much of a game changer.

Reactions: Rush2112 UK
lol

Uh, we whipped you twice that season. TWICE.

Kansas in 2008 faced Steph Curry in the Elite Eight, Hansbrough in the Final Four, and Rose in the championship. Those were three of the best college players I’ve ever seen — so I think it’s unfair to dismiss two of those as simply mid-major programs. We didn’t face any players of that caliber in 2012.

Still, I would give our 2012 team a slight edge over them. AD was perhaps the best college player I’ve ever seen in terms of everything but scoring. Plus we had MKG and Jones. I would take that group over Arthur, Jackson, Kaun and Aldrich.

Backcourt wise, Teague and Lamb, and I’ll include Miller and Wiltjer, were probably less experienced than Chalmers, Collins, Rush, and Robinson. That’s probably a wash or slight advantage to KU.

In the aggregate, I think we would have severely limited their low-post scoring, and forced them to become a perimeter team, so much so that I think we would win a close one.

Kansas in 2008 faced Steph Curry in the Elite Eight, Hansbrough in the Final Four, and Rose in the championship. Those were three of the best college players I’ve ever seen — so I think it’s unfair to dismiss two of those as simply mid-major programs. We didn’t face any players of that caliber in 2012.

Still, I would give our 2012 team a slight edge over them. AD was perhaps the best college player I’ve ever seen in terms of everything but scoring. Plus we had MKG and Jones. I would take that group over Arthur, Jackson, Kaun and Aldrich.

Backcourt wise, Teague and Lamb, and I’ll include Miller and Wiltjer, were probably less experienced than Chalmers, Collins, Rush, and Robinson. That’s probably a wash or slight advantage to KU.

In the aggregate, I think we would have severely limited their low-post scoring, and forced them to become a perimeter team, so much so that I think we would win a close one.

Backcourt a "wash"? I have to challenge that strongly. What evidence do you have?

Here's mine: NBA points

Chalmers: 6,400

Teague + Lamb: 500

Backcourt a "wash"? I have to challenge that strongly. What evidence do you have?

Here's mine: NBA points

Chalmers: 6,400

Teague + Lamb: 500

I think using NBA points scored is an unfair assessment. A lot of players are way better in college than NBA. Tyler Hansborough was one of the best college players I have watched and flamed out in the NBA. Lamb is one of the best 3 point shooters to ever play at UK. I might still give the advantage to KU but using NBA points is not a great assessment in a college team vs college team.

Reactions: Jkwo

You keep calling Memphis a mid-major program, which it was, but it was the most talented team in the country that year. Also, we had to beat two #1 seeds to win the title that year.

ADVERTISEMENT