ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN's John Gasaway Lists 8 Teams That Can Win It All

IU just might get past the Sweet 16 this year (for the second time since 1994), but they ain't winning the NC. Get'em on a neutral court, away from B'town, Crean on the sidelines...it's not happening.

I am not going in with crimson colored glasses but (knowing how little love IU gets here) in the last month they six w's with one loss at Michigan state. Four wins were against top 25 ranked teams (Maryland Purdue and Iowa twice all top 25 in ap rpi Kenpom and Sagarin). All aside from letting Purdue and Iowa (on road) come back to make it scary all were well handled.

And the last two without a key player in Robert Johnson and a key sub playing mostly injured in Morgan.

Yes IU schedule early and in first half of B1G was weak. But from the second half of notre dame game on they held serve every time against weaklings and competed well against others.

From mid December forward IU's resume has been as good as anyone's.

I am not predicting an IU championship but this year with parity it is not laughable. Even with crean calling the plays.
Syracuse and their simple 2-3 zone says hello.

I think IU's ceiling is the Final Four. I just don't think they have the guns to get it done on the biggest stage. I watched IU this weekend for the first time this year, and I hate to admit it, but they have a good team.

I like UK's chances. It feels like everything is coming together at the right time for a deep run. Team should be hungry and playing with an edge.

I wish it would:( I can't imagine he stays, but people really seem to think he will.
Those people are new to this. They'll learn. Some of our fans actually believed John Wall when he said he was coming back.
He gone.

Replace Nova with Virginia and knock off IU, Arizona and I agree.
ATTENTION to all IU fans, disregard jedwar's post knocking IU off the list...that was probably just a typo. Coach Tom Crean can get you to the promised land...don't let anyone cast any doubts in your minds. TRUST in CTC...he can get you there!

Reactions: kyjeff1
Sorry guys, I don't get Villanova at all. Nor do I get Arizona or IU. I think it's us, UNC, Michigan St., & KU. Hopefully we bring home # 9!
I liked your post because I agree with it but did you post this from your non-trolling account? "Villefan76" doesn't really matchup too well with UK but there's something about it that makes me think of that dumpster fire of a school down the road. I can't quite put my finger on why though. There's just something about your name… hmm, it'll come to me.

Reactions: villefan76
Agree with others. Indiana should not be on any list to win it. They've played well but had a weak big ten schedule. Plus...their coach. Ughhhhhh.

Strike Nova too until they prove they can do anything at all in the tourney. I like OU and KU but the big 12 continually falls flat in the tourney. UNC and MSU should be near the top of the list. UK of course with our guard play and fully healthy can make a legitimate run at it.

Don't sleep on Utah, Iowa and Miami.

Iowa's been awful the past month+ now.

I think it may come down to who has lost in their conference tournament or at least who doesn't have a long winning steak heading into the NCAA. Over the past twenty years, nine of the champions have lost in their conference tourney, another 8 lost one of their last three regular season games, and only 3 had winning streaks heading into the NCAA of 7 games or more-UofL had a ten game winning streak going into the NCAA. Combine that with the fact that no team outside of Kempom's top ten (final) has won the championship over the past 20 years, and you'll have a pretty short list of championship pretenders following the conference tournaments this weekend.

http://kenpom.com/

Currernt kenpom Top 10:

1. Virginia
2. Kansas
3. Michigan State
4. Villanova
5. North Carolina
6. West Virginia
7. Oklahoma
8. Kentucky
9. Indiana
10. Louisville (OUT)

That almost knocks it down to 8.

My first thought when I saw the list was that Arizona sounded fishy among that group.....sure enough.

http://kenpom.com/

Currernt kenpom Top 10:

1. Virginia
2. Kansas
3. Michigan State
4. Villanova
5. North Carolina
6. West Virginia
7. Oklahoma
8. Kentucky
9. Indiana
10. Louisville (OUT)

That almost knocks it down to 8.

My first thought when I saw the list was that Arizona sounded fishy among that group.....sure enough.
I have never understood the love for Arizona from so many. They always seem so underwhelming, they never look impressive in the least. They have talent but always look kinda….. meh….. to me.

What's funny is no one is mentioning Oregon or West Virginia. Oregon's supposed SOS: 5. West Virginia always figures out a way to get to the S16, minus last year.
Did you know Tubby's SOS is 2? That's crazy!

Since its ESPN, is his favorite UNC?

I liked your post because I agree with it but did you post this from your non-trolling account? "Villefan76" doesn't really matchup too well with UK but there's something about it that makes me think of that dumpster fire of a school down the road. I can't quite put my finger on why though. There's just something about your name… hmm, it'll come to me.
I'm true blue @kyjeff1 I just happen to live in a small town that ends in Ville & it's not Louisville. I hope they get everything they deserve and more! Then on to UNC!

If IU is knocking down 3's they can play with anyone in the country. Tv announcer said IU has 8 players shooting over 40 percent on 3...not sure if thats right or not.
Live by the 3, Die by the 3. IU will flame out on a cold shooting night when they are frustrated by a good defensive team. IU has feasted on the bottom barrel of the Big 10 to a Top 10 ranking. They ain't that good.

If IU is knocking down 3's they can play with anyone in the country. Tv announcer said IU has 8 players shooting over 40 percent on 3...not sure if thats right or not.

Is IU playing at Assembly Hall during the entire tournament? If not they can be beaten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT