ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN buying all Fox Regional Sports Networks and Fox College Sports.

Interesting. FS1 owns the broadcast rights for the Big East as they outbid ESPN a couple years ago. Wonder if they will keep the separate channel since that's what the conference wanted. Maybe ESPN will spin this off into a Big East channel like the SEC and B1G networks.

Reactions: jameslee32
Interesting. FS1 owns the broadcast rights for the Big East as they outbid ESPN a couple years ago. Wonder if they will keep the separate channel since that's what the conference wanted. Maybe ESPN will spin this off into a Big East channel like the SEC and B1G networks.

FS1 will not be included in the sale.

Reactions: UKUGA
As part of the deal, 21st Century Fox retained the Fox television network and stations, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Channel, FS1, FS2 and the Big Ten Network. They will be part of a newly listed company after the close of the deal.

I think this is a BIG win for all sports and here is why.

ESPN has generally only cared about its BIG sports rights. NFL, College Football and Basketball, NBA Playoffs, etc.

Now that they have the RSN rights, they now have a big interest in making MLB and NHL more popular. ESPN drives the conversation in national sports whether we like it or not. Getting people to care more about the sports on those RSN now will directly affect their bottom line.

Reactions: DanHalen88
Yeah the DC Comics franchise. Batman vs. Spiderman.
DC is Time Warner. I confused them with X-Men as far as the owners but the bottom-line is Disney is buying more valuable assets. When the stock of the acquiring company also rises, you know investors are pretty happy about it.

I think this is a BIG win for all sports and here is why.

ESPN has generally only cared about its BIG sports rights. NFL, College Football and Basketball, NBA Playoffs, etc.

Now that they have the RSN rights, they now have a big interest in making MLB and NHL more popular. ESPN drives the conversation in national sports whether we like it or not. Getting people to care more about the sports on those RSN now will directly affect their bottom line.

Good point. One thing I've read is that they would have a regional style Sportscenter. So Fox Sports Ohio would focus on Reds, Bengals, UC, Xaivier etc. and would have its own anchors for the show. I also saw they only bought half of the Fox Regional networks so we will see. I'm off today so I may do some more digging on this topic. Lol.

In recent years, several of the regionals are no longer "Fox", I have noticed. For example, here in DC, it's NBCSN-Washington, or something to that effect. It televises Wizards/Capitals.

MASN (Mid-atlantic) is still here, and it televises the Nationals/Orioles. I believe this is the Fox channel.

Good point. One thing I've read is that they would have a regional style Sportscenter. So Fox Sports Ohio would focus on Reds, Bengals, UC, Xaivier etc. and would have its own anchors for the show. I also saw they only bought half of the Fox Regional networks so we will see. I'm off today so I may do some more digging on this topic. Lol.
I know in St. Louis they have that FS Midwest part in the Ballpark Village, could be a cool branding opportunity for them. Really will expand their local coverage. They may of had to layoff a lot of national guys, but they may be able to compensate with local coverage now.

ADVERTISEMENT