ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN article ripping NCAA for being too soft on Louisville

A reporter for the CJ informed today that the $$ UL must return could be huge. I would not call these light. I would also not call them inappropriate.

So the NCAA went with the more lenient of the two penalty scenarios, and UL threw it back in their face? Someone at the NCAA must be contemplating the gall of these jackasses right now.

As I have said elsewhere, this is the kind of hubris you develop when the local media and politicians allow you to run unchecked for decades.

"Louisville has disputed that characterization for years. Nancy Theriot, professor and chairwoman of the women's and gender studies department at Louisville, said in an email message that she had not heard of an unfriendly culture to women in the athletics department. She added, "As a UofL faculty member who interacts with students and wants a campus environment free of sexism and exploitation, I believe the sanctions are justified given the seriousness of the infractions."

Poor Professor Theriot. She has only a few hours to flee town, my guess it's already too late. And she had such promise, too!! You don't get much more hip and hot than being the Chair of the "Women's and Gender Studies Department", even at a backwater place like the University of Louisville.....

Agree with about everything she wrote in spirit, but you've got a situation where at least Louisville is getting some legitimate punishment. This is happening in the shadow of the Baylor sexual assault scandal, which although it's worse in a lot of ways than Louisville won't result in any NCAA punishment (though they did fire Ken Starr, Art Briles, etc.) ... because they didn't break any NCAA rules.

You've got to have actual rules violations, and the punishment flows from those. Louisville did give undoubtedly them that (e.g. inducements to recruits/players), where Baylor (and arguably UNC basketball, although that's a very different issue ...) did not.

I don't think you want the NCAA being the sex police. That's on universities, law enforcement and prosecutors.

Reactions: blubo
Who can't string 2 sentences together? Has Pitino read his own incoherent letter?

If they remove a banner and vacate all the wins over the period in question then I think the punishment is fairly severe. I have more trouble understanding the lack of punishment for UNCheat.
Actually removing the banner wasn't a concentrated effort of the punishment, the first thing they do is remove all games that players they deem ineligible participated in, that's a given. The actual punishment is the 5 game suspension for Pitino, 4 year probation, 1 scholarship per year and $5000 fine. No post season bans, no TV coverage bans, I am on the lenient side also.

Actually removing the banner wasn't a concentrated effort of the punishment, the first thing they do is remove all games that players they deem ineligible participated in, that's a given. The actual punishment is the 5 game suspension for Pitino, 4 year probation, 1 scholarship per year and $5000 fine. No post season bans, no TV coverage bans, I am on the lenient side also.
Well explained...

Reactions: bloodguard13
They don't really know UL like we do. Rest assured, they will be looking for rogues on the second committee, if possible, and do anything they can to keep the banner. They have infinite money, just a matter of making the right connections. And a long time to do it.

If they remove a banner and vacate all the wins over the period in question then I think the punishment is fairly severe. I have more trouble understanding the lack of punishment for UNCheat.
Why do people keep saying this? The process isn't done yet so what punishment could there be? It's coming.

Reactions: ymmot31 and Ugoff
Agree with about everything she wrote in spirit, but you've got a situation where at least Louisville is getting some legitimate punishment. This is happening in the shadow of the Baylor sexual assault scandal, which although it's worse in a lot of ways than Louisville won't result in any NCAA punishment (though they did fire Ken Starr, Art Briles, etc.) ... because they didn't break any NCAA rules.

You've got to have actual rules violations, and the punishment flows from those. Louisville did give undoubtedly them that (e.g. inducements to recruits/players), where Baylor (and arguably UNC basketball, although that's a very different issue ...) did not.

I don't think you want the NCAA being the sex police. That's on universities, law enforcement and prosecutors.

Morally and criminally UofL and Baylor are far worse than UNC. UNC is just as bad based on the fact that they ran a system to recruit and maintain an environment of eligible players that never could hack even easy classes in college and used their superior reputation to push their agenda. Both deserve the vacation of titles and wins just for different reasons IMO.

Reactions: crestcat
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tic-programs-involves-incidents-sexual-nature

Interesting read. I didn't realize that since the actions on campus happened before and after NCAA's new stricter bylaws were enacted, the NCAA choose to use the lenient ones against Louisville. How cavalier of them

If already posted please merge

I am not sure they were too soft on UofL, taking down banners, and repaying money will be big, but I did think the suspension given to Pitino was weak. They gave Jim B. twice what Rick got and I feel like Rick should have received more.

I am not sure they were too soft on UofL, taking down banners, and repaying money will be big, but I did think the suspension given to Pitino was weak. They gave Jim B. twice what Rick got and I feel like Rick should have received more.

I think the keys to the article is that it was a woman writer and with what went on at Baylor recently thought the NCAA would come down harder because of these specific acts and what went on at Louisville. Also since acts happened before and after the new bylaws the NCAA choose to go with the more lenient ones. I think that's what she meant by "too soft on Louisville".

Pitino, "Justice will be served." Is there not just one parent of the players receiving illegal and immoral benefits that cares what Pitino allowed?

This is it. Vacating games and titles and returning monies received are not punishment. That is merely returning what was illegally obtained by using ineligible players. Yes the actual punishment is light.

Pitino, "Justice will be served." Is there not just one parent of the players receiving illegal and immoral benefits that cares what Pitino allowed?
That's been my question for awhile now. None of the parents of these recruits are suing U of L? I can't imagine if I had sent my son on a recruiting trip there and this stuff happened!

I think the keys to the article is that it was a woman writer and with what went on at Baylor recently thought the NCAA would come down harder because of these specific acts and what went on at Louisville. Also since acts happened before and after the new bylaws the NCAA choose to go with the more lenient ones. I think that's what she meant by "too soft on Louisville".

Not disputing that, but they have never taken a championship banner before and there have bee a few times they could have. But come on how can they not slam Rick for his part. He is the head coach and knows does not know it is his responsibility.

ADVERTISEMENT