ADVERTISEMENT

****ESPN (ala @shaudy) article

In the blowout win over Team Toronto, Washington, who averaged 14.5 PPG and 7.5 RPG in the Bahamas, caught a pass 15 feet from the rim, turned to the basket, drove down the baseline and dunked over forward Tanner Graham. It was an exciting play. But that wasn't the most significant takeaway.

Team Toronto couldn't send help for Graham. Why? Travis was on the other block, so his man stayed. Herro was wide open for a 3-pointer, so the guards didn't move, either. This is the quandary every Kentucky opponent will face this season. How do you defend this team, and when do you help?

This is a good description of what will make this team very special.

Top 50 in 3pt % dorent mean jack squat. unc was 150 when they won, nova was 85 last year,105 the other year they won, Ucon was 114 their year. so you get it the scenario...

Reactions: WildMoon
Not a bad article, but maybe a bit of a stretch to suggest 2 point defense as our Achilles heel.

Our 2 point D was actually better last year than in 2017, and 2017 was a top 5 team. 2014 was another year with middling interior D that turned out OK.

So even though more often than not Cal’s teams have been known for rim protection, he has made it work other ways. I think this team will feature tremendous pressure on the perimeter, and just enough rim protection from Richards, PG, and EJ.

I don’t think it’s a matter of just being a great outside shooting team. It’s jusr that there will always be skilled offensive options on the floor. Say you have Quickley, Herro, Johnson, Montgomery & Travis on the floor. You’ve got 3 guys who should shoot 35% or higher from 3, all five can hit a midrange jumper, 2 polished low block scorers, guys that can slash, dunk on you, and from what I’ve seen of Quickley, he’s got passing precision to hit any of em with a perfect lob if they get separation from their defender. How the heck do you defend an offense that versatile?

Reactions: HICATFAN
ADVERTISEMENT