ADVERTISEMENT

ERupption zone

Pickle_Rick

Senior
Oct 8, 2017
Was driving to E-town listening to you-know-who's radio show when a caller mentioned moving the ERupption zone to the other end of the court. You know who agreed, and said that when UK flipped locker rooms, Barney wouldn't allow the ERupption zone flip because he didn't want the students taunting the other team during the second half. This is all hearsay to me, but if true, it's another damning check mark for Barney being a terrible A.D.

Full disclosure, I think Barney has been a mediocre A.D. at best.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
Was driving to E-town listening to you-know-who's radio show when a caller mentioned moving the ERupption zone to the other end of the court. You know who agreed, and said that when UK flipped locker rooms, Barney wouldn't allow the ERupption zone flip because he didn't want the students taunting the other team during the second half. This is all hearsay to me, but if true, it's another damning check mark for Barney being a terrible A.D.

I'd say we have a pretty good home court advantage without having to resort to students yelling at opposing players a la Duke, UF, etc.

I'd say we have a pretty good home court advantage without having to resort to students yelling at opposing players a la Duke, UF, etc.
What a joke! It’s the students yelling at the opposing players that gets them off their game. You want them to disrupt the opposing team.

When I was in school, at the Memorial, the students had one whole side. They'd pack us in there edgewise. 7-8000 strong all crammed together. We'd blow the roof off the place. It was so exciting. It literally hurt your ears. It's never been the same at Rupp.

Last edited:
Rupp Arena has zero home court advantage.
Have you seen the home record "Nov 21, 2016 · In its 41st season as the Wildcats' home court, UK has won 89.5 percent of its games (546-64) in Rupp and the Wildcats current 40-game win streak is second-longest in the arena's history"

You have got to be kidding?

2018, couldn’t have wrote this sht in a book.

Nope, not kidding at all. Do you want us to start holding up fatheads and waving pool noodles during free throws too?

That crap is lame, and I have seen zero evidence that it actually helps anyone win a game. In fact, overly rowdy student sections can actually pump up opposing players, i.e. Knox in WV last year.

You guys are just trying to find another reason to bash our AD.

Nope, not kidding at all. Do you want us to start holding up fatheads and waving pool noodles during free throws too?

That crap is lame, and I have seen zero evidence that it actually helps anyone win a game. In fact, overly rowdy student sections can actually pump up opposing players, i.e. Knox in WV last year.

1. it gets the student section even more into the game.. making them rowdier .

2. it forces the opponents to be even more mentally focused..because if they are not... then it really will get into their heads.

3. how old are you? You are over 40 arent ya

I never mentioned the fart in this conversation but I sure won’t miss an opportunity to call him garbage. I appreciate it.

Your post was perfect for the times. You’re one of those trophies for everyone guys I bet.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL

This was started CM (RIP)...We would camp out as soon as allowed, freeze out ass off and get sits within a few rows of the floor, we used to sit directly behind opposing bench and give the visitors hell...Dale Brown would actually laugh and give thumbs up sometimes...
But, CM had enough of those shenanigans and switched it. Then we could only see the back of RP's balding head... Then CM changed the lotto system for tickets so it was "completely random"...early bird, die-hard fan meant nothing... The atmosphere changed significantly in those 3-7 years... Mitch is just doing more of the same...

It should be on both ends at the very least. It’s a shame that our student section/atmosphere in Rupp is so lame.

It's not the location of the students that is lame, it's the students themselves. I've been to many games at Rupp as well as football games and I've always been disgusted with our students. Many never even show up in the student sections and those that come never seem to really get into it like at other schools and even leave early. I've been to many football games where it is a very good game and a good number of students don't even come back for the 2nd half. At Rupp, I just don't see how they don't get louder and more into the games than they do. The fans in the upper levels are much louder than the students. Just my take.

It's not the location of the students that is lame, it's the students themselves. I've been to many games at Rupp as well as football games and I've always been disgusted with our students. Many never even show up in the student sections and those that come never seem to really get into it like at other schools and even leave early. I've been to many football games where it is a very good game and a good number of students don't even come back for the 2nd half. At Rupp, I just don't see how they don't get louder and more into the games than they do. The fans in the upper levels are much louder than the students. Just my take.
I agree. I’m not sure that there’s a reasonable solution however.

Who gives a $hi+ about the student section, where it’s located, and how bouncy they are? The team doesn’t need rehearsed cheers and flailing arms in order to have an advantage.

Put an athletic, well coached team on the court and play ball. When 24,000 people spontaneously react to good play on the court, that should be enough. The entertainment is on the court. Stop insisting it be in the stands as well.

lets face it.. the old grumps will have to die off and have my generation (I'm 36 so we're still about 20-30 years away) take over UK for things to change for the better and keep up with the times. older conservatives.... its funny they want the youth to be respectful but never fail to be rude in telling you what you're doing wrong and talking bad about others doing so. kind of ironic.

Rupp Arena has zero home court advantage.

I assume you were being sarcastic. The Cats record at Rupp is phenomenal. Every team plays their best against us at Rupp and our win percentage is still off the charts. I have to disagree with your post on this one.

Reactions: Cychologist
It should be on both ends at the very least. It’s a shame that our student section/atmosphere in Rupp is so lame.

Can't fill up the one most of the time ... why they've started having to open it to the general public. Somewhat understandable ... it's a pretty crappy place to watch a game. Unless you're really into holding up that big Nike banner during the starting lineups.

Mitch? Is that you?

ADVERTISEMENT