ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert on Paying players

Well depending on the artist and with the colors I would say at least $2000.00
Lol. I paid 75 bucks. It's about who you know. Most of these kids don't pay hardly anything for their ink because it's free advertisement. Plus lots of theirs are crappy and probably slapped on by a scratcher for $20.

Lol. I paid 75 bucks. It's about who you know. Most of these kids don't pay hardly anything for their ink because it's free advertisement. Plus lots of theirs are crappy and probably slapped on by a scratcher for $20.
Well you got a bargain and were pretty lucky you got a decent artist. Ask the same guy how much to remove it.

Well you got a bargain and were pretty lucky you got a decent artist. Ask the same guy how much to remove it.
Yeah, I got a deal. My cousin is my artist but anyone off the street would have paid around 350. Who cares about removal? I'm not getting it removed and prices of removal doesn't have anything to do with high school/college kids paying for tattoos.

I asked you to list players that couldn't make a good living in the NBA because the college game damaged them so badly. Your claim.

So far, zero, and nothing but inaccurate BS.

I know I’m in your head when you respond to the same post twice.

Know what, you’re right. Amateur athletes never get hurt. Injuries never harm their money making potential. You are super smart. And your wife is probably super hot and you are super rich and your moms basement is a palace.

Yeah, I got a deal. My cousin is my artist but anyone off the street would have paid around 350. Who cares about removal? I'm not getting it removed and prices of removal doesn't have anything to do with high school/college kids paying for tattoos.
Not even close 8 hours of work $350.00, that dog does not hunt.

Know what, you’re right. Amateur athletes never get hurt. Injuries never harm their money making potential. You are super smart. And your wife is probably super hot and you are super rich and your moms basement is a palace.

l didn't realize I did but like it matters anyway.

I am right, and that's why you're dodging.

I asked you to show examples of your original claim, you cant. You were shown your ass on your slavery comment, your examples using guys like Patrick Patterson, which had nothing to do with your original point, were bogus and uneducated.

It will work better for you if you actually know what you're talking about before you enter debate.

Again, provide examples of players who were unable to make a good living in the NBA because college basketball destroyed their body to the point where they were unable to pursue their interest?

Or just admit you don't know half of what you're talking about and let it go.

Last edited:

That silliness isn't helping you.

Reactions: morgousky

Who made them play amateur basketball? Why didn’t they just go pro to the D league at the time or overseas? Were they denied an opportunity by UK? Answer that.

Now since you are so worried about people not getting what you perceive as their fair share, how do you sleep at night knowing there are numerous homeless people out there? I am sure there are numerous people who have less than you that feel you get paid too much. But you subjectively want to decide for everyone else how much is too much.

That dude doesnt have a shoe deal, he will make maybe $23k and have to pay for a place to live, utilities, transportation, and food.

The players can get whatever they want, no one at UK, the NCAA, or any other NCAA institution puts a gun to these athletes heads and forces them to be NCAA athletes.

Slow down and read what I said.
If this benefits the NBA, they could and will raise the wages of the G league; if getting these players in the G league right out of high school they could get them under contract for much less than they would if they played a year in college.
No, they do not have any shoe deals coming out of high school going into college; thats my point, the NCAA rules are against these kids. Going to the G league they could be in position to get a shoe deal. Not so if they attend college.

Going to the G league instead of college also allows a kid who many think would be a OAD to get an agent, then take out a loan; again something they cannot do now if they opt to go to school.

The NBA could care less about college basketball. They are a business and think like a business. Any chance a NBA team can get a OAD for less money, they will jump on it.

No, there is no gun to these players heads forcing them to go to college, but for many, the so called "gun" you speak of is another way of saying the "rules" force them into school for a year.

l didn't realize I did but like it matters anyway.

I am right, and you are wrong. I asked you to show examples of your original claim, you cant. You were shown your ass on your slavery comment, your examples using guys like Patrick Patterson, which had nothing to do with your original point, were bogus and uneducated.

It will work better for you if you actually know what you're talking about before you enter debate.

It doesn’t matter what example I give, you think of a kid blows their ACL it doesn’t affect future earnings. That’s why I said you’re super smart and your moms basement is a palace.

Who made them play amateur basketball? Why didn’t they just go pro to the D league at the time or overseas? Were they denied an opportunity by UK? Answer that.

Now since you are so worried about people not getting what you perceive as their fair share, how do you sleep at night knowing there are numerous homeless people out there? I am sure there are numerous people who have less than you that feel you get paid too much. But you subjectively want to decide for everyone else how much is too much.

The market makes them play “amateur basketball”.

G league cannot build your brand and no superstars have come from there.

I go back to admins and people like Emmert making millions while people like Shabazz Napier are starving, and I am at the same point.

The system will change but it would behoove the NCAA, and all college fans, to get ahead of the curve

The market makes them play “amateur basketball”.

G league cannot build your brand and no superstars have come from there.

I go back to admins and people like Emmert making millions while people like Shabazz Napier are starving, and I am at the same point.

The system will change but it would behoove the NCAA, and all college fans, to get ahead of the curve
The market is the boogeyman now? How does the market force them? So there is value being received in building their brand? Huh? Nobody has to play basketball and starve. Napier had all kinds of choices.

My point was if athletes were so strapped for money they probably would not be buying tattoo's. I know when I was at UK paying my own way, working 40 hours a week and taking a full load it was hard to come up with a $1.00 on Sunday when the cafe's were closed to eat on. So I have little compassion for athletes that have to wait 9 months for a paycheck.

I understand. That makes sense

It doesn’t matter what example I give, you think of a kid blows their ACL it doesn’t affect future earnings. That’s why I said you’re super smart and your moms basement is a palace.

You clearly can't keep on track and have very little substance other than a passionate position that's empty when it comes down to it.

The NBA rule is one year removed, so your window is defined. Guys like Patterson returned because of choice, they wanted to graduate. Same with Poythress, that's why he would have probably ended up at Vanderbilt had he not chose UK. They make no sense for your argument for multiple reasons.

Your argument only makes sense for guys who were "forced" into college basketball for one year and lose their ability to earn in the NBA because of injuries. I'm trying to lead you through this because clearly you have trouble.

Name freshman over the last decade who stood to gain millions of dollars but because of injury were unable to pursue those interest?

You clearly can't keep on track and have very little substance other than a passionate position that's empty when it comes down to it.

The NBA rule is one year removed, so your window is defined. Guys like Patterson returned because of choice, they wanted to graduate. Same with Poythress, that's why he would have probably ended up at Vanderbilt had he not chose UK. They make no sense for your argument for multiple reasons.

Your argument only makes sense for guys who were "forced" into college basketball for one year and lose their ability to earn in the NBA because of injuries. I'm trying to lead you through this because clearly you have trouble.

Name freshman over the last decade who stood to gain millions of dollars but because of injury were unable to pursue those interest?

“Unable to pursue” and “got as much as they could” are two different things.

You won’t accept Patrick Patterson or Noel, which are clear examples of that.

Palace.

“Unable to pursue” and “got as much as they could” are two different things.

You won’t accept Patrick Patterson or Noel, which are clear examples of that.

Palace.

So you want the NCAA to be held responsible for Patrick Patterson, who would have gone to college for his degree either way, who was a junior by choice, for not being allowed to pursue professional money before an injury?

No, I wont accept that because it's stupid. Are you 15-21?

You have no substance, no examples, and no thought process on this topic at all. You are loud and obnoxious, which means you've got nothing.

Why don’t we just do Kentucky players since that’s what we are all here for.

Jared Vanderbilt. If he doesn’t get injured late season he’s likely a top 10-15 pick, now he’s almost undraftable

Derek Willis. If he continued his 3 point shooting run pre ankle injury he probably gets drafted 2nd round instead of FA contract.

Alex Poythress. Explosive athlete who blows his knee out and never finds a place.

WCS. Injury in 2014 tourney kept him from getting drafted that year. Google: lost earnings from extra amateur years. Spoiler: they are never recouped.

Nerlins Noel- likely too 2-3 draft pick without the injury and 2nd contract may have been a max instead of what he got.

Patrick Patterson- a pro after freshman season without the leg injury.

I can go back further, just with our team, to list players who have lost millions because of college injury.

And that’s just our team.

And that’s not football either, where it’s even more egregious.
Your arguments for Poythress and WCS aren’t valid. Poythress was never gonna find a place in the NBA because he’s never been hungry enough. Great athlete with very little basketball skills and super inconsistent. Cauley Stein was not very good at all his sophomore season. Injury or no injury Cauley Stein wasn’t leaving til after his junior season anyway.

Your arguments for Poythress and WCS aren’t valid. Poythress was never gonna find a place in the NBA because he’s never been hungry enough. Great athlete with very little basketball skills and super inconsistent. Cauley Stein was not very good at all his sophomore season. Injury or no injury Cauley Stein wasn’t leaving til after his junior season anyway.

The entire list is crap. Patterson wanted to return to Kentucky because he and his parents decided long ago that he needed to get a college degree. His mother was dead set on it.

Willis? Is that a joke?

Poythress wanted a degree. He clearly wasn't ready for the NBA anyway.

It's a bogus list because he has nothing. And sophomores, juniors, and seniors wouldn't make sense for his argument because if they stood to gain all of that money (using his logic) they would have left after freshman year to pursue the cash.

Reactions: BigBlue1992
Honest question, because you bring up a solid point , is there like a list or breakdown of where the (multiple ) millions of $$$ that UK (any major school really ) gets, goes? Does it mostly go to coaches (many coaches making 3,4,5,6,7 , 8 million dollars every year plus bonus’s? Millions of $$ dividend uo for AD’s / assistants/ other coaches, trainers etc?)

Or how is it “put back into the school” exactly? I mean I’m sure some is,... but?
You can look at the budget from 2016 in this link. Interesting to see that the athletic department revenue will pay for 2/3 of the $100m Academic Science Building in addition to other non athletic items.
http://ukathletics.com/sports/2016/9/29/_131461808761089056.aspx

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
We used to have people who were paid living necessities to generate millions in wealth for their bosses. They were called slaves. We fought a war over it.
Sounds like Wendall Carters mother, not quite the same reaction though.

Last edited:
If players don't like the system they should look elsewhere. This is getting old. Go into medicine studying for 6 years and another year of internship making almost nothing. What is more important......people healing people and looking for cures, or coddled sorts that can run fast and jump high?

Last edited:
Reactions: kev69
If players don't like the system they should look elsewhere. This is getting old. Go into medicine studying for 6 years and another year of internship making almost nothing. What is more important......people healing people and looking for cures, or coddled sorts that can run fast and jump high?
You’re making to much sense to be on this board. GET OUT. We like to pretend on here, and you come and ruin it for everyone.

Let players jump straight to the NBA. It will diminish some of this talk about paying players.

Yes, and once they go they lose their amateur standing for that sport. Same with declaring for the draft. Quit being the NBA farm league.

Why are you on here? You're obviously not a College Basketball fan. If it were up to you it wouldn't exist. So, again, why in the hell are you continuing to post on a College Basketball message board? Stick to the NBA and leave us College Basketball fans alone. Jesus Christ, what's wrong with some people?

He doesn’t mention the Olympic model though—that is, people can be paid off their likeness and retain their amateur status.

That model really is the answer but Emmert wants to make it a binary question—“do the schools pay the players or not?” Obviously the answer there almost has to be no, and thus the status quo remains. Which is his motive, to change nothing and keep the dollars in his and his buddies pockets and away from the kids

He doesn’t mention the Olympic model though—that is, people can be paid off their likeness and retain their amateur status.

That model really is the answer but Emmert wants to make it a binary question—“do the schools pay the players or not?” Obviously the answer there almost has to be no, and thus the status quo remains. Which is his motive, to change nothing and keep the dollars in his and his buddies pockets and away from the kids
The Olympic model is different when it comes to using your likeness to earn money vs. college athletes because Olympic athletes are independent athletes competing for themselves or for one team (USA). College athletes are recruitable athletes playing in team competition against other teams who are also recruiting athletes.

Please Please Please try to understand this because it will help you understand and make sense of everything the NCAA does or doesn't do.

The NCAA does not want players to sell their likeness because they know that once they do that will become the number one way cheaters will game the system to recruit players by working "deals" to ensure the player will get a certain dollar for their "Likeness" once they get there.

The reason the NCAA focuses so much on money issues is not to rob anybody of their share, it's because money corrupts the system of fair competition and that's just a hard fact. So the try their best to keep the influence of money out of the competition model. Again the NCAA"s job is to oversees fair competition of their teams and conferences between themselves, they're not a social organization.

Before you get worked up over ANY issue involving the NCAA ask yourself, "how does this affect the ability to keep cheaters from cheating", and then you know why they do what they do because that's the first thing they have to ask themselves because that's the first thing they exist for.

Don't get me wrong. There is no question the NCAA has become a bloated bureaucratic mess and needs a total overhaul of their own, but it makes me crazy to hear the same arguments over and over about the motives of the NCAA when their motive is simple, to protect their athletic competition model with as much fair competition as possible. If you understand that's their first job then you understand why they do what they do even if it seems silly or out of date to you.

Last edited:
Buddy please understand this point and I promise it will help you understand why the NCAA does EVERYTHING they do. . .

Olympic athletes are allowed to make money off their likeness because they are competing by themselves and for themselves. The college athlete is a recruitable athlete and the NCAA doesn't want money to taint how athletes are recruited and know that as soon as you allow them to sell their likeness that w

The Olympic model is different when it comes to using your likeness to earn money vs. college athletes because Olympic athletes are independent athletes competing for themselves or for one team (USA). College athletes are recruitable athletes playing in team competition against other teams who are also recruiting athletes.

Please Please Please try to understand this because it will help you understand and make sense of everything the NCAA does or doesn't do.

The NCAA does not want players to sell their likeness because they know that once they do that will become the number one way cheaters will game the system to recruit players by working "deals" to ensure the player will get a certain dollar for their "Likeness" once they get there.

The reason the NCAA focuses so much on money issues is not to rob anybody of their share, it's because money corrupts the system of fair competition and that's just a hard fact. So the try their best to keep the influence of money out of the competition model. Again the NCAA"s job is to oversees fair competition of their teams and conferences between themselves, they're not a social organization.

Before you get worked up over ANY issue involving the NCAA ask yourself, "how does this affect the ability to keep cheaters from cheating", and then you know why they do what they do because that's the first thing they have to ask themselves because that's the first thing they exist for.

But the system as it stands is obviously not exactly pure and clean--it's dirty and there is money everywhere. It's just underground...and sunlight is the best disinfectant.

ADVERTISEMENT