ADVERTISEMENT

Emmert on Paying players

Only the left is unable to see Title IX was an abomination.

Without Title IX, the actual revenue sports (football and basketball) would be paying players by now, and there would be no issues.

But no, women’s athletics that derive far more costs than revenue needs to be subsidized at the same rate as the two men’s sports that bring in virtually all of the money, that make those women’s sports possible in the first place.

It’s dumb. And it’s political. And with a fool like Emmett in charge (who offers zero ideas for how to get around Title XI) I think it could/will trigger the destruction of the integrity of college hoops if the G-League is expanded in response.

Reactions: mbc82584
How is that the NCAA's fault? They dont trick the kids, they dont force them to play college ball, they just chose to be an amateur sport. If athletes dont like they can play elsewhere, if fans dont like it, they shouldn't support NCAA schools. Life can be easy, why make it hard.

i wouldnt say they are at fault but they are taking advantage of a system where there is no true minor leagues for football and basketball and have created paths for athletes to get into college that really wouldnt be there otherwise in order to profit financially.

i wouldnt say they are at fault but they are taking advantage of a system where there is no true minor leagues for football and basketball and have created paths for athletes to get into college that really wouldnt be there otherwise in order to profit financially.
Huh, college athletics has been around longer than the NBA and NFL.

Men's Basketball is the holy grail for the NCAA. It is it's cash cow as the NCAA makes very little on Football. It is all about the TV rights to March Madness. If the NCAA isn't proactive and cannot think of a good solution, it is going to destroy the value of their only substantial revenue stream. Now that will then eliminate other sports....

There has to be a solution that all can jump on board, but the current system doesn't work, and puts kids and fans at risk. Kids being abused by agents and others and Fans that have a program be caught in these scandals because it is almost impossible for a program to 100% avoid having a player or someone not tainted.

Look at this issue with Bam. It was all due to NC State trying to recruit him, and UK did nothing wrong. But if he or his family took money to go to another school that he ended up not going to and then UK is punished (vacated wins), that is insane!!!

i do. Spurs/Wiz game last week was fun. my enjoyment isnt dependent on whether or not someone is getting paid or not.
Well, these guys know what they sign up for and keep signing up year after year. Weird for a group that is supposedly exploited.

Well, these guys know what they sign up for and keep signing up year after year. Weird for a group that is supposedly exploited.

no viable alternative really. they sign up...but they arent going by the rules...which is why we are talking about this. how much money did BAM and knox take? other guys? jobs for parents? i assume you are cool with all that...since its what they signed up for.

going forward...options might change.

Nope, they should get whatever the market says they get which is their worth.

Maybe you should try the G-League since the NCAA is such a farce, they need all the help they can get.

You can not argue, in good faith, for market freedom and also for the system the NCAA operates under right now.

Like, fine, let the NCAA keep doing what they’re doing right now but how do they have control over a kids endorsements?

Farce.

UK Athletics employs an AD who makes nearly $1 million a year. This AD has consistently given internal promotions to the point where UK now employs somewhere in the neighborhood of 26 assistant/associate/executive AD’s. Many of these employees make six figures. Many other colleges follow the same internal template. This is on top of the outrageous salaries the coaches make. There’s not enough money to go around? Okay.
^ EXACTLY!!!! Total BS that there is not enough money.

You can not argue, in good faith, for market freedom and also for the system the NCAA operates under right now.

Like, fine, let the NCAA keep doing what they’re doing right now but how do they have control over a kids endorsements?

Farce.
Yeah I can, because I understand the concept amateurism and and the concept of a free market. These kids can take any endorsement deal they want, no one stopping them from signing a contract with Nike. If they choose to make money that's fine, they're just no longer an amateur. If they want to be an amateur and play an amateur sport, they'll follow the amateur rules. They are free to get all the money they can get.

Dont talk about arguing in good faith when you compared the NCAA model to slavery. F-sing slavery, do you realize how ridiculous that is?

It’s a multi BILLION dollar industry. Prohibition of paying the players doesn’t stop payments, it drives them underground (as we’ve seen).

If a kid can get a contract with Nike for a few commercials, let him get one. It’s happening right now but you are forcing people to choose between supporting their families and potentially destroying their careers.

The kids are risking their livelihood playing for these schools, injuries happen you know, and they leave those schools with nothing to show for it while people like Emmert are filthy rich off the games those kids play. It’s a farce.

List of players who were unable to make a living playing baseball because the college game destroyed their body please.

Last edited:
Yeah I can, because I understand the concept amateurism and and the concept of a free market. These kids can take any endorsement deal they want, no one stopping them from signing a contract with Nike. If they choose to make money that's fine, they're just no longer an amateur. If they want to be an amateur and play an amateur sport, they'll follow the amateur rules. They are free to get all the money they can get.

Dont talk about arguing in good faith when you compared the NCAA model to slavery. F-sing slavery, do you realize how ridiculous that is?

So one question- are Olympic athletes amateurs or not? Just a yes or no question.

We used to have people who were paid living necessities to generate millions in wealth for their bosses. They were called slaves. We fought a war over it.

And with that, you just exposed yourself and lost every ounce of credibility you may have had.

And you should be ashamed of yourself to use slaves who had no human rights as a means to bolster an argument. But I know your type and you won't be.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
Can you link/ provide which players you’re speaking of that “find enough money for thousands of dollars in tattoos?”
How much is an average tattoo our players get? Where do they get these tattoos?

It seems like you know more than the rest of us about our guys tats so just hoping you can provide some better clarity
I know how much tattoo's cost maybe you should do a little research before you run your mouth. And the billions that the NCAA makes from basketball is distributed back to the member schools to pay for all the sports, mostly non revenue. If the young men want to make money they have options overseas. They may not like the hand they are dealt but I am sure the tens of thousands who have to pay back loans would disagree.

List of players who were unable to make a living playing baseball because the college destroyed their body please.

Not sure why you shifted to baseball from that post? I can list you plenty of basketball players who have ruined their career or made substantially less because of college injury, though.

And with that, you just exposed yourself and lost every ounce of credibility you may have had.

And you should be ashamed of yourself to use slaves who had no human rights as a means to bolster an argument. But I know your type and you won't be.

Are you familiar with tongue in cheek hyperbole?

Jesus some of you people are total communications idiots.

Not sure why you shifted to baseball from that post? I can list you plenty of basketball players who have ruined their career or made substantially less because of college injury, though.

Phone auto corrected.

List of players who were unable to make a good living in the NBA be cause of college basketball please.

I know how much tattoo's cost maybe you should do a little research before you run your mouth. And the billions that the NCAA makes from basketball is distributed back to the member schools to pay for all the sports, mostly non revenue. If the young men want to make money they have options overseas. They may not like the hand they are dealt but I am sure the tens of thousands who have to pay back loans would disagree.

Right the NCAA is just a charitable organization who gets attacked unnecessarily. Not like they have a $100m home office and people making millions a year.....................

Right the NCAA is just a charitable organization who gets attacked unnecessarily. Not like they have a $100m home office and people making millions a year.....................
Try looking at other non profits, they have the same thing. Based on the revenue they bring in each year percentage wise their expense to revenue ratio would be quite small.

Are you familiar with tongue in cheek hyperbole?

Jesus some of you people are total communications idiots.

Don't even try. You will use and have used that BS as a means to bolster an argument and you know you meant every word. Own it.

This is not hard. Most money from the ncaa goes to support non revenue sports. If you think Emmert makes too much money, we agree. If you think they shouldn't be forced to sit out of the draft out of high school, I agree.

If you want to start a professional league with no rules, we don't agree. If you want to use slavery and greivance as justification, you're historically innacurate.

Still, to this day, the one area where the minority of people who think like you can't hide.....not one of these athletes have to go to college. Not one. And the G league is ready to entertain them today.

Theory isn't so sound when you don't have Espn's political pundits misleading to the direction you're standing.

No one makes these athletes go to college. It is the NBA that adopted an age limit. They go to college because it is the best option.

For a free market guy you sure seem obsessed with the amount of money ncaa officials are able to earn.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
No one makes these athletes go to college. It is the NBA that adopted an age limit. They go to college because it is the best option.

Is it? Because we're constantly told that the G league allows for better evaluation, better development, and more time to be a better basketball player.

They then say the college factors of education are irrelevant to these guys. Ok.

They can even go ahead with endorsements if they want to. .

Sounds like a no brainer.

So why exactly is college their best option?

Because the uncle's and parents and agents know that there's more money in college basketball to be had than early entry into the G league. That's all it's about, they don't care about anything else.

But I'm not surprised that these types turn it into a moral position. I'm a slavery apologist because I think the way I do.

Reactions: KYCAT78
Phone auto corrected.

List of players who were unable to make a good living in the NBA be cause of college basketball please.

Why don’t we just do Kentucky players since that’s what we are all here for.

Jared Vanderbilt. If he doesn’t get injured late season he’s likely a top 10-15 pick, now he’s almost undraftable

Derek Willis. If he continued his 3 point shooting run pre ankle injury he probably gets drafted 2nd round instead of FA contract.

Alex Poythress. Explosive athlete who blows his knee out and never finds a place.

WCS. Injury in 2014 tourney kept him from getting drafted that year. Google: lost earnings from extra amateur years. Spoiler: they are never recouped.

Nerlins Noel- likely too 2-3 draft pick without the injury and 2nd contract may have been a max instead of what he got.

Patrick Patterson- a pro after freshman season without the leg injury.

I can go back further, just with our team, to list players who have lost millions because of college injury.

And that’s just our team.

And that’s not football either, where it’s even more egregious.

Reactions: ipatent

I know what tattoos go for $$ wise. I have one myself.

I just meant you were super specific about our players and how much their tats cost, i only assumed you knew ?

Can you tell us Which of our players you were referring to and how many tattoos/ how much did each of said tattoos cost? WCS’s? What about his tats ?

Why don’t we just do Kentucky players since that’s what we are all here for.

Jared Vanderbilt. If he doesn’t get injured late season he’s likely a top 10-15 pick, now he’s almost undraftable

Derek Willis. If he continued his 3 point shooting run pre ankle injury he probably gets drafted 2nd round instead of FA contract.

Alex Poythress. Explosive athlete who blows his knee out and never finds a place.

WCS. Injury in 2014 tourney kept him from getting drafted that year. Google: lost earnings from extra amateur years. Spoiler: they are never recouped.

Nerlins Noel- likely too 2-3 draft pick without the injury and 2nd contract may have been a max instead of what he got.

Patrick Patterson- a pro after freshman season without the leg injury.

I can go back further, just with our team, to list players who have lost millions because of college injury.

And that’s just our team.

And that’s not football either, where it’s even more egregious.

That is pure speculation and conjecture, not to mention inaccurate. JV came into Kentucky with issues. You have no idea how he would have performed. And further, the NBA is the reason he wasn't allowed to enter. Your beef is with Adam Silver.

Lol at Willis. Yea Kentucky damaged his body to the point where the NBA said no thanks. Totally the fault of the system. Ridiculous.

Patrick Patterson wanted a college degree. He chose not to go. His parents planned it all along. You are clueless. And Patterson made a sht load of money and has had a good career.

It's Nerl(e)ns Noel, and the NBA is the reason he wasn't allowed to go straight in. He chose college basketball, he wasn't forced to play. He's had a good career and made millions and millions of dollars.

So no, you have no good examples at all

Last edited:
How much?

4680.jpg

I know what tattoos go for $$ wise. I have one myself.

I just meant you were super specific about our players and how much their tats cost, i only assumed you knew ?

Can you tell us Which of our players you were referring to and how many tattoos/ how much did each of said tattoos cost? WCS’s? What about his tats ?
My point was if athletes were so strapped for money they probably would not be buying tattoo's. I know when I was at UK paying my own way, working 40 hours a week and taking a full load it was hard to come up with a $1.00 on Sunday when the cafe's were closed to eat on. So I have little compassion for athletes that have to wait 9 months for a paycheck.

That is pure speculation and conjecture. JV came into Kentucky with issues. You have no idea how he would have performed. And further, the NBA is the reason he wasn't allowed to enter. Your beef is with Adam Silver.

Lol at Willis. Yea Kentucky damaged his body to the point where the NBA said no thanks. Totally the fault of the system. Ridiculous.

Patrick Patterson wanted a college degree. He chose not to go. His parents planned it all along. You are clueless. And Patterson made a sht load of money and has had a good career.

It's Nerl(e)ns Noel, and the NBA is the reason he wasn't allowed to go straight in. He chose college basketball, he wasn't forced to play. He's had a good career and made millions and millions of dollars.

So no, you have no good examples at all

Dude, you are probably miserable to be around.

If you want to say alex didn’t hurt his pro career, and none of those other dudes hurt their money, you are just disagreeable.

If you want to say alex didn’t hurt his pro career, and none of those other dudes hurt their money, you are just disagreeable.

Alex wanted to have a college degree. He has a masters. You don't know what you're talking about.

None of your examples are good. Some aren't even accurate at all.

Alex has done extremely well by coming back to UK. And you cant even guarantee he hasn't done as well as he has because he returned. You are moving goal posts all over the place.

I would stop before you butcher the position so badly you make people who agree with the idea of professionalism ask you to stop.

Poor doofy, let me explain this one to you too. Some Olympic athletes like Lebron James, Serena William's, and Usain Bolt are professionals some Olympic athletes like
Olivia Smoliga, Chantal Van Landeghem,
Kendell Williams, and Jade Howard aren't they are true amateurs and are infact NCAA student athletes too.

So see, some are, some aren't. I'm not sure why that's so hard for you to understand.

I asked you to list players that couldn't make a good living in the NBA because the college game damaged them so badly. Your claim.

So far, zero, and nothing but inaccurate BS.

ADVERTISEMENT