ADVERTISEMENT

EKU/Richmond back in the 80's

So what are Thursday nights in Richmond like nowadays?

We go to Richmond a few times a year to this hole in the wall called Smokin Joes to catch a band we really like.

Seems like I heard years ago that Richmond was cracking down on the students partying downtown.

So what are Thursday nights in Richmond like nowadays?

We go to Richmond a few times a year to this hole in the wall called Smokin Joes to catch a band we really like.

Seems like I heard years ago that Richmond was cracking down on the students partying downtown.
Although I'm now 57, lol, I can state that, prior to Covid, downtown Richmond, no matter the night, is NOTHING like it used to be in the 70's and 80's.

Back then, especially on Thursday's thru Saturday's, there would be lines waiting to get into bars. You no longer see that.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Downtown Richmond changed 15+ plus years ago now. All the old bars mentioned above shut down and then first street changed as well with closing/demolition of the bars there and construction of the family court building. About all you really have now is the Paddy Wagon on Main St. It has been open for about 15 years now. You can drive through downtown Richmond on a Thursday night and it is basically a ghost town.

Downtown Richmond changed 15+ plus years ago now. All the old bars mentioned above shut down and then first street changed as well with closing/demolition of the bars there and construction of the family court building. About all you really have now is the Paddy Wagon on Main St. It has been open for about 15 years now. You can drive through downtown Richmond on a Thursday night and it is basically a ghost town.
Agreed. I remember quite well one of the mayors telling me how downtown Richmond was an embarrassment to the city. The mayor was Jim Todd, and I was repairing something for him;he owned a farm and I was fixing something for him.. I just agreed with him; all the while thinking, dude, I'm one of the dudes you're talking about, lol. I remember when the first building was demolished. :(

If he thought crowds of people spending money downtown was an embarrassment, wonder what he thinks of downtown now?

The city has been begging people to spend money downtown for a while now.

I spend some money at Straight From Texas BBQ, and that’s about it.

The government in Richmond didn't like it making Playboys party school list in 1987. That's really when all the PI's started up. Before that they were quite a bit more lenient. I was a freshman in HS in 1987 but my brother was a senior who had been there quite a bit over the previous couple of years. He took me several times and I never had an issue getting in or drinking that year. Went back in 1988 and couldn't get in the door cause my ID was obviously not me. Good times.
17092977-10211666000463278-860447347-o-760x1024.jpg

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Irony of ironies now I live close to Richmond and have a daughter who may attend EKU for nursing school — which is highly regarded as I understand it

My colleague is in Richmond and I’ve had drinks down at jakes cigar bar — and honestly I’m not clear if that’s Richmond or Nicholasville

guess I should know that

I think that's sad as hell.

Police gave out PI’s like candy.
Yeah they was on the street right at closing waiting for someone to stagger out.
Surprised friends and I didn't get one singing on the bench in front the courthouse.

I thought hot legs night at O'Reilly's was something special. Till I went to the Toy Tiger.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Is the Richmond Mall still there?

I believe it opened my freshman year at EKU.

Seems like I heard a bar had opened in there, but that was a few years back that I heard that.

Is the Richmond Mall still there?

I believe it opened my freshman year at EKU.

Seems like I heard a bar had opened in there, but that was a few years back that I heard that.

Is still open but is mostly a walking track for Seniors. Gillums Sports Bar is located there. Has been for a dozen years or so now and is definitely one of the better local food joints in Richmond IMO.

Last edited:
Went to EKU back in the day.

Thursday nights were like Mardi Gras

J Sutters Mill, Oreillys, Family Dog

Wish I had a hot tub time machine
Friends took me to O'Reilly's in 1979 after I went through a breakup. Best thing they could have done for me as it enabled me to "expand my horizons". EKU girls were way more receptive that the ones at UK. As I recall, Playboy magazine rated EKU as the No. 1 party school in the nation on Thursday nights.

I only went to Richmond once, on a Thursday night. I went with some people in my dorm. I remember going to Sutters, and one other place that I can’t remember.

I remember cops all up and down the street. Crazy atmosphere.

I had a good time but since I was already legal age and as an engineering student I didn’t have time to go down to EKU to drink and scope the ladies.
I was in Engineering School in the late '70's-early '80's and I know what you mean. I was able to go out about once every couple of weeks as the class work took up easily 16 hours per day and the lab reports you had to do on weekends were killers, especially if you ever had Beatty for an instructor in Solids Lab.

Reactions: ukalum1988
I went to EKU from 90-94.

Family Dog, Tazwell's, Talk of the Town were my usual Thursday night spots. Occasionally would hit Sutter's, Bottles and TBombs among others.

Cherries and The Cherry Pit opened my Sr. year.

Love the $1.99 burger and fries at Taylor's.

Thursday nights were magical.

Went to EKU back in the day.

Thursday nights were like Mardi Gras

J Sutters Mill, Oreillys, Family Dog

Wish I had a hot tub time machine
That is the best way to describe it. I was there from 82 through 86. Especially the time from the week before class started and through about Veteran's Day. September and October were GLORIOUS. Go Big E!!

ADVERTISEMENT