ADVERTISEMENT

EKU/Richmond back in the 80's

Beat the Clock at Sutters .. drinks were 0.25 8-9 pm ... 0.50 from 10-11 .. 0.75 from 11-12. .. then a whooping dollar after midnight !!!!

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I forget the place that had the $5 all you could drink until someone pissed. Thursday nights were a mess.

So which one of you hooked up with Brucie?
Brucie got his face busted up pretty good one night. Me and some friends were at a 1st Street bar, damned if I can remember the name now; usually had a live band on the weekends....crap. Anyway, one night the crowd begins surging towards the door and we had no idea why. Music was so loud you had to scream to be heard.

Some dude picked up Brucie, not knowing, or realizing who/what he was. The guy had parked right outside the bar door, (wish I could recall it's name dammit ). So, apparently the guy was sitting behind the wheel, and Brucie had begun giving the dude a BJ. The dude told it later that he was going to brush "her" hair back from "her" face when he felt a hint of beard, lol. Dude went off on Brucie and from all accounts beat his face in pretty good. I didn't see anything of it, but many people who did told it like that.

Man, I grew up in Richmond and loved the bars back in the 80's. Pulled a lot of tail out of :Slutters". back in the day.

Brucie got his face busted up pretty good one night. Me and some friends were at a 1st Street bar, damned if I can remember the name now; usually had a live band on the weekends....crap. Anyway, one night the crowd begins surging towards the door and we had no idea why. Music was so loud you had to scream to be heard.

Some dude picked up Brucie, not knowing, or realizing who/what he was. The guy had parked right outside the bar door, (wish I could recall it's name dammit ). So, apparently the guy was sitting behind the wheel, and Brucie had begun giving the dude a BJ. The dude told it later that he was going to brush "her" hair back from "her" face when he felt a hint of beard, lol. Dude went off on Brucie and from all accounts beat his face in pretty good. I didn't see anything of it, but many people who did told it like that.

Man, I grew up in Richmond and loved the bars back in the 80's. Pulled a lot of tail out of :Slutters". back in the day.
Maverick?

Now that I think about it: Maverick was a borderline biker bar
It certainly evolved into that, no question. Early on it was a n
decent place to go listen to Josh Logan and have a few drinks. It was also a great place to meet women.

After Monroe Brock was killed it went downhill. (Not sure who bought/ran it then, but it became "rough", and I quit going, as did a lot of people.) That's when you began hearing about fights nearly every night there.

How bout a little Morehead back in the late 80's....Spanky's "drink or drown"- 5 bucks and drink all evening, wet t shirt contest ( Lisa from Olive Hill was usual champ) also The Brass Eagle ( very close to Cartmell so I could stagger back a little quicker)

decent place to go listen to Josh Logan and have a few drinks. It was also a great place to meet women.

After Monroe Brock was killed it went downhill. (Not sure who bought/ran it then, but it became "rough", and I quit going, as did a lot of people.) That's when you began hearing about fights nearly every night there.
Welder, do you recall the Earl’s Suzuki killing around that same time era? Some bad shit going down. Also, around 1978, saw an old dude get shot at Shepherds pool hall (Popsicle ran the joint with Big Ed, Roscoe, and some little dude)). Watched the old guy die on the side walk, on Main Street. Was arguing with a guy about politics.[laughing]

Last edited:
Welder, do you recall the Earl’s Suzuki killing around that same time era? Some bad shit going down. Also, around 1978, saw an old dude get shot at Shepherds pool hall (Popcycle ran the joint with Big Ed, Roscoe, and some little dude)). Watched the old guy die on the side walk, on Main Street. Was arguing with a guy about politics.[laughing]
Something tells me the 1970s in Richmond were worse than the 1980’s.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat

Drove thru there several months ago, it's so different.

Several of those bars on 1st by the Court house was about falling down back then anyways,

Use to eat at a Mexican restaurant before there was Mexican all over the place called Pacos.

Old Wesley Morgan made a killing with that drive thru liquor store on main.

Last edited:

There is another unsolved murder in Richmond that occurred two weeks after the sniper murder of Monroe Brock.

Welder, do you recall the Earl’s Suzuki killing around that same time era? Some bad shit going down. Also, around 1978, saw an old dude get shot at Shepherds pool hall (Popsicle ran the joint with Big Ed, Roscoe, and some little dude)). Watched the old guy die on the side walk, on Main Street. Was arguing with a guy about politics.[laughing]
Yes sir, I sure do remember that, although most of the details I've forgotten. We did some welding for them back then, mostly aluminum work, as we were known as the place for that. (Me mostly, lol) :) )

Wow, seeing that guy get gunned down must have been an experience Bill. I don't remember that incident myself; do you happen to recall who it was?

Speaking of pool rooms....I also did some welding for Marvin Taylor who owned Taylors Pool Room. About every 3-4 months he'd call and I'd drive my welding truck down and park on the sidewalk in front of his place. His old stainless cook top had begun cracking several years before, leaking hot grease down into the lower level and at one time causing a small fire. I'd go in and weld the crack back up, but since they used that thing every day, and it was old, it would eventually crack out and away from where I'd welded it the last time. (Nothing to be done about it, it's kind of like cast iron, no matter what you do it will always keep on cracking with that much heat from cooking every day.)

The cool thing was Marvin would cook me up lunch, then he'd put a bunch of burgers in a big sack for me to take back with me. I saw a lot of interesting people back then, including Buckhorn, lol....remember Buckhorn? He was a staple at both pool halls back then. He'd always have a bunch of things to sell, mostly pocket knives.

Drove thru there several months ago, it's so different.

Several of those bars on 1st by the Court house was about falling down back then anyways,

Use to eat at a Mexican restaurant before there was Mexican all over the place called Pacos.

Old Wesley Morgan made a killing with that drive thru liquor store on main.
LOL, yep Wes made a ton of money from that place.

There was another liquor store, Thunderbird, remember it? Ernie Durham owned it, and when me and my buds were only 16 we'd go through the drive through and old Ernie never asked for ID, LMAO. He didn't care; we used to joke that you could be a 10 year old and Ernie would sell you whatever you wanted.

At UK but would drive to Richmond on Thur nites. Mid to early 80's. All those bars are familiar lol.

One night, drove up the wrong way, hammered drunk, on a one way street where a popo was kind enough to inform me of my error and send me on my way... no ticket/jail. I still shake my head about that one.

At UK but would drive to Richmond on Thur nites. Mid to early 80's. All those bars are familiar lol.

One night, drove up the wrong way, hammered drunk, on a one way street where a popo was kind enough to inform me of my error and send me on my way... no ticket/jail. I still shake my head about that one.
Things were different back then, no question about it.

I was drunk as a skunk, sometime in the early 80's, and got pulled over THREE SEPARATE TIMES, by 3 different cops, (2 city, one state boy), and never went to jail, lol. It's a long story, but at that time my last name carried a little weight in the county due to my father. It's all that saved my stupid ass that night.

Donald Saylor. Shot in head and chest. Found in a field, but believed shot elsewhere and body dumped in field.

Saylor and Brock knew one another.
I remember that name now that you mention it. I used to know quite a bit about what went down back then, but over time I've forgotten nearly all of it. Did one of the guys' kids owing big money to a Vegas club, and skipping out, have anything to do with it, or am I thinking of another case entirely?

I know I heard someone's kid, and some buddies, went to Vegas, lost a bundle, owed the club a bigger bundle, and skipped out. Vegas thugs showed up in Richmond demanding their money. I just can't recall who that was, might not have had anything to do with this case, I just remembered that after Earls Suzuki case was brought up.

Yes sir, I sure do remember that, although most of the details I've forgotten. We did some welding for them back then, mostly aluminum work, as we were known as the place for that. (Me mostly, lol) :) )

Wow, seeing that guy get gunned down must have been an experience Bill. I don't remember that incident myself; do you happen to recall who it was?

Speaking of pool rooms....I also did some welding for Marvin Taylor who owned Taylors Pool Room. About every 3-4 months he'd call and I'd drive my welding truck down and park on the sidewalk in front of his place. His old stainless cook top had begun cracking several years before, leaking hot grease down into the lower level and at one time causing a small fire. I'd go in and weld the crack back up, but since they used that thing every day, and it was old, it would eventually crack out and away from where I'd welded it the last time. (Nothing to be done about it, it's kind of like cast iron, no matter what you do it will always keep on cracking with that much heat from cooking every day.)

The cool thing was Marvin would cook me up lunch, then he'd put a bunch of burgers in a big sack for me to take back with me. I saw a lot of interesting people back then, including Buckhorn, lol....remember Buckhorn? He was a staple at both pool halls back then. He'd always have a bunch of things to sell, mostly pocket knives.
Yes, I remember Buckhorn. The local radio station had him as a guest several times. I believe he was a motorcycle enthusiast and had a very unusual speech pattern. The little dude at Shepperd's Pool Hall was nicknamed "Twig". I don't recall the name of the guy that was shot at the Pool Hall.

Yes, I remember Buckhorn. The local radio station had him as a guest several times. I believe he was a motorcycle enthusiast and had a very unusual speech pattern. The little dude at Shepperd's Pool Hall was nicknamed "Twig". I don't recall the name of the guy that was shot at the Pool Hall.
LOL, yeah if you ever heard him talk you'd never forget it, lol. He actually died wrecking his little cycle. Not sure what they call those things smaller than a motorcycle back in the day, but that's what he rode for the longest time.

Many years ago a local radio station had a program called Man About Town. People would call in with things to sell. Buckhorn was a regular on there. Once, my mom advertised some rugs she wanted to sell. I remember she told me and my little sister than Buckhorn had just called and was on his way to buy her rugs. We wouldn't have any more excited had a Ky. Wildcat been coming, lol. (This must have been in the summer when school was out) Anyway, he shows up on his little bike and mom invites him in. He bought the rugs and then spent 30 minutes trying to get them tied down to his little bike, lol.

Somebody a while back posted an old video of Buckhorn in someone's house; in it he's doing the majority of the talking. The quality is not good; this was long before cell phones, but in it you get a good idea of what he sounded like. Buck was "good people". The old State Bank used to give him a few bucks to come and sing Happy Birthday whenever one of their employees had a BD.
Shame he died like he did.

Burger and a beer for $5.

Burger and a beer for $5.
And a damn fine burger at that.

I can remember many times after Wednesday night church dad would stop by the pool room and get the whole family burgers and fries. Now, being the good Christian he is, he never went in, but they had a walk up window right off of Main, lol.

I only went to Richmond once, on a Thursday night. I went with some people in my dorm. I remember going to Sutters, and one other place that I can’t remember.

I remember cops all up and down the street. Crazy atmosphere.

I had a good time but since I was already legal age and as an engineering student I didn’t have time to go down to EKU to drink and scope the ladies.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
I only went to Richmond once, on a Thursday night. I went with some people in my dorm. I remember going to Sutters, and one other place that I can’t remember.

I remember cops all up and down the street. Crazy atmosphere.

I had a good time but since I was already legal age and as an engineering student I didn’t have time to go down to EKU to drink and scope the ladies.
Police gave out PI’s like candy.

ADVERTISEMENT