ADVERTISEMENT

Ejection...can Ellis play tomorrow or not?

fla.cat

Junior
May 23, 2002
Last night posters didn't seem to be sure whether Ellis can play the next game. It wasn't clear if the SEC policy is different from the NCAA tourney policy.

Has anyone heard?

Go cats.

Per ESPN---------Eliis was not in the locker room after the game, and Cincinnati associate head coach Larry Davis did not address the ejection. A Cincinnati official said Ellis will not be suspended.

I hope he plays, if we can't handle him might as well go back to Lexington while we are this close.
embarassed.r191677.gif

I'm pretty sure he cannot. A flagrant 2 ejection, the player is suspended for the next game.

NCAA and NFHS[edit]

NFHS (U.S. high school) rules define a flagrant foul as a personal or technical foul that is extreme or severe.

A flagrant personal foul involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball.A flagrant technical foul involves unsportsmanlike conduct that is extreme in nature, or excessive or severe contact during a dead ball. Fighting is also considered a flagrant technical foul.
The penalty for a flagrant technical foul in NCAA and NFHS rules is immediate ejection of the offending player, plus two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team. The ejected player is also suspended during the next game played by his or her team.

Originally posted by NineSec95:

Originally posted by blueblood65:

I'm pretty sure he cannot. A flagrant 2 ejection, the player is suspended for the next game.
Wrong,they said 10 times last night that he would be eligible to play Saturday,there is no NCAA rule that says they are suspended next game,that is conference calls which donot apply in the NCAA Tourney

A flagrant 2 can be called with ejection from the game without a follow-up one game suspension.

For a one game suspension to be enforced, the bench or court player would have to be assessed a flagrant 2 for fighting.

Unless the NCAA deems the guy was fighting, he can play the next game as far as the NCAA is concerned. If UC is not suspending him, then he will play.

Here is how ESPN reported the Auburn incident:

"Granger was given a flagrant 2 foul and ejected from the game, while Mickey earned a technical foul for his actions. Granger, who is averaging 4.8 points per game for Auburn, will be subject to an automatic one-game suspension per NCAA rules on players who are ejected for fighting."

Maybe the article is wrong but I honestly think the rule is that the key word is "fighting." If it were ruled that he had not been fighting he could have played against us.

I'm not sure the powers that be have spoken on this issue yet. The moron was dangerously close to throwing and landing a punch.

Originally posted by Phil McKracken:
A flagrant 2 can be called with ejection from the game without a follow-up one game suspension.

For a one game suspension to be enforced, the bench or court player would have to be assessed a flagrant 2 for fighting.

Unless the NCAA deems the guy was fighting, he can play the next game as far as the NCAA is concerned. If UC is not suspending him, then he will play.
This!

Remember that children. If you throw a punch in a game, make sure to use your elbow. If you use your fist it is considered "fighting" and that would be uncivilized.

Originally posted by Phil McKracken:

There you have it ,thanks

Bring him on. Their best win is against who? UConn or Memphis. The effort will be there tomorrow and Cincy will go to Cincy and the Cats will go to Cleveland.

Originally posted by LordEgg:
I just don't want some Reckless jackass fighting with our team.
Might as well count on it. Saturday's game will be ugly and physical because that's how the UC Thugcats play ball.

Two Xavier players left the floor bleeding this yr after the Cross Town shootout. UC is the type of team that will injure a player by their style of play. Pathetic team and history.

Originally posted by WonderBrow:
The reason I didn't wanna play Cincy is entirely based on them being thugs
Nah...Arkansas and Louisville prepared us well for playing Cin-Quentin......er....Cincinnati.

If you watched the replay you clearly see before he shoved his elbow in his throat he looked right at him and then did what he did. He should not be playing this game, but alas our wonder officials use bad judgment. SHOCK
confused0018.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wldktz8:

If you watched the replay you clearly see before he shoved his elbow in his throat he looked right at him and then did what he did. He should not be playing this game, but alas our wonder officials use bad judgment. SHOCK
confused0018.r191677.gif
nsplbslloibnzpeq9nob.gif

This guy is a punk and a thug. This was his THIRD time he has been thrown out of a game this season. I hope he is suspended.

He better not try that with karl. Might get himself embarrassed if he does
Regardless because of his actions I'd wager he has a tight whistle for himself tomorrow and anything slightly rough will be called justified or not

Not to downplay what Ellis did, because it was reckless, stupid and selfish, but there were a lot of elbows in that game both ways. Intentional or not, Purdue bloodied up a few guys for Cincinnati IIRC. Even after that Ellis play, there was a Purdue guy that unintentionally elbowed whoever that backup was right in his nose. When games are that physical stuff happens.

But like others have said, different than regular season so he'll be playing tomorrow. Not like it really matters, they were struggling with Purdue's bigs on the boards so how are they gonna handle the wave of bigs Kentucky can run at em?

Guys, he's 205 pounds soaking wet. We want this kid trying to guard Towns.

confused0018.r191677.gif
ec
No way this guy should be playing. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior, but in today's society...well, you get the picture. Wonder what the penalty would've been if one of our boys had thrown that punch?
This post was edited on 3/20 12:16 PM by js40484

Originally posted by js40484:

confused0018.r191677.gif
ec
No way this guy should be playing. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior, but in today's society...well, you get the picture.
That's typical behavior for UC.

This is in no way an attempt to excuse Ellis' decision, but I can see how the "powers-that-be" could have viewed this as less than egregious. Many coaches will teach boxing out like this: 1) find your man 2) put a forearm to his chest 3) turn and seal him from the basket 4) go after the ball.

Ellis makes his move right after the shot attempt. If you look at the whole, it looks like he is attempting to box out and just went too high on his check. Do I think he meant to check him in the neck? Given his history, probably. However, I believe his coach, or someone, made this argument in an attempt to say it was not a punch or fighting.

Originally posted by mdcars0:
This is in no way an attempt to excuse Ellis' decision, but I can see how the "powers-that-be" could have viewed this as less than egregious. Many coaches will teach boxing out like this:

I think you accidentally typed the word "out" in there....
laugh.r191677.gif
But If that is the case that he coach made (which he probably did), the officials should have thrown him out as well just for wasting everyone's time.

I have heard the biggest issue will be for him to clear with his parole officer the ability to cross state lines twice in a 3 day span.... just sayin'

ADVERTISEMENT