ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards replaces Wagner as top 2023 player (ESPN)

This feels like something ESPN would do so UK didn’t get the #1 player. Austin Rivers anyone? Lol

Sorry ESPN, we got Edwards too!

I’m a big boy and can handle your questions without getting upset like many posters. It’s fine really.

This is also from this article and I agree based on what I’ve seen of his stroke.
  • Shoots a clean, sometimes effortless ball with sound mechanics; he can really stroke it
  • The biggest driver of his low percentages, especially from 3, is his shot selection (see more on shot selection below)

Now there are guys like Frederick that have perfect form, but essentially choke in a game(I think Fredrick’s may start to fall, but maybe not. Maybe the stage is too big etc) I don’t think Wagner, with his pedigree will fold. His near flawless, effortless shot will make him shoot a better % in college.

This guy breaks his shot down. He’s no Rex or Allen Houston, who are top 5 in best looking shots ever, but his shot is damn nice. (Though in that pic he’s holding it weird, I’d guess he hasn’t got full control yet)

Having a pretty shot does nothing for me when he shoots 19% from 3 over 7 games with US national team (U17). Prior to that he shot 23.8% on catch and shoot shots and 32.3% on dribble pull ups for a total of 28.1%.

It’s important to keep in mind he is shooting these shots closer to the basket than he will when he gets here and the people defending him are generally less athletic and shorter than the ones who will be defending him in college.

Your point on CJ, imo, works against you. If a guy was shooting 47% from 3 at his old D1 college and comes here and struggles, how can we expect a freshman who was shooting 28% to come in a tear it up? The logic being used there is inconsistent at best.

Like I’ve said before, the only player I’ve ever seen come to UK with scouting not in love with their outside shot and shoot well was Lamb. So I do concede it’s possible that when he starts shooting for farther away with taller, more athletic, and better coached defenders in his face that he could improve. But the odds are, realistically, stacked against him. And I think your expectations for him will be hard for him to live up to.

Where do you all see Ian Jackson landing in this class. Usually when the #1 reclassifies, they land around #3 or #4.

Sharpe landed at #3 in 2021, Bates and Duren dropped to #5 and #6. I believe all 3 were at #1 at some point.
Bagley stayed at #1 when he reclassified as did Nerlens Noel.

I could see Jackson dropping in ahead of our 3 recruits.

Where do you all see Ian Jackson landing in this class. Usually when the #1 reclassifies, they land around #3 or #4.

Sharpe landed at #3 in 2021, Bates and Duren dropped to #5 and #6. I believe all 3 were at #1 at some point.
Bagley stayed at #1 when he reclassified as did Nerlens Noel.

I could see Jackson dropping in ahead of our 3 recruits.
Well Edwards just destroyed him last week. Maybe 10-15 range.

Having a pretty shot does nothing for me when he shoots 19% from 3 over 7 games with US national team (U17). Prior to that he shot 23.8% on catch and shoot shots and 32.3% on dribble pull ups for a total of 28.1%.

It’s important to keep in mind he is shooting these shots closer to the basket than he will when he gets here and the people defending him are generally less athletic and shorter than the ones who will be defending him in college.

Your point on CJ, imo, works against you. If a guy was shooting 47% from 3 at his old D1 college and comes here and struggles, how can we expect a freshman who was shooting 28% to come in a tear it up? The logic being used there is inconsistent at best.

Like I’ve said before, the only player I’ve ever seen come to UK with scouting not in love with their outside shot and shoot well was Lamb. So I do concede it’s possible that when he starts shooting for farther away with taller, more athletic, and better coached defenders in his face that he could improve. But the odds are, realistically, stacked against him. And I think your expectations for him will be hard for him to live up to.
You make some good points…I still think you’ll see he’s a damn good shooter.

Frederick will be labeled a choker (by me) if he doesn’t get really hot really soon. He’s the only guy I can remember with a near perfect release that doesn’t hit in games. We’ve all heard he hits in practice.

As for the distance thing watch the highlights and Wagner is shooting many past the nba line in high school. The percentages sound bad, but I still say he’ll be fine at UofK.

*Unless like I’ve mentioned before there is some weird “tweaking” going on with guys shots at UofK. Which was done with Herro.

You make some good points…I still think you’ll see he’s a damn good shooter.

Frederick will be labeled a choker (by me) if he doesn’t get really hot really soon. He’s the only guy I can remember with a near perfect release that doesn’t hit in games. We’ve all heard he hits in practice.

As for the distance thing watch the highlights and Wagner is shooting many past the nba line in high school. The percentages sound bad, but I still say he’ll be fine at UofK.

*Unless like I’ve mentioned before there is some weird “tweaking” going on with guys shots at UofK. Which was done with Herro.
Frederick has been seriously injured. It's amazing that he is even playing at this level. As he continues to heal he will get better.

Reactions: Greatestalltime
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT