ADVERTISEMENT

Edwards replaces Wagner as top 2023 player (ESPN)

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
After a string of high-profile national high school events, we updated the 2023 ESPN 100 last Friday, featuring a new No. 1 player at the top of the rankings.

He is still a Kentucky signee, but instead of D.J. Wagner, who held the top spot for several years, Justin Edwards is now the best player in the 2023 class. The move did nothing to impact the Wildcats' status as the best recruiting class in the country, as John Calipari's group now features three of the top four prospects in the country, as well as No. 11 Robert Dillingham and No. 21 Reed Sheppard. If anything, Kentucky's grip on No. 1 was strengthened since the last update following November's early signing period.

i

1. Kentucky Wildcats

Top commit: SF Justin Edwards (No. 1)
Previous ranking: 1

With Wagner committing to the Wildcats during the signing period, Kentucky is now on track to land its seventh No. 1 recruiting class since John Calipari took over in 2009 -- with Edwards the fourth No. 1 recruit to pick the Wildcats. He boasts a competitive nature, versatile defense and highly productive summer offensively. Edwards scores by finalizing plays inside, along with a hard, straight-line, face-up game and a 3-point shot. He possesses the physical tools to be an NBA wing. No. 2 prospect D.J. Wagner is an elite scorer who is at his best grabbing defensive rebounds and pushing the ball in the open court. His ability to get into the lane and finish or assist is second to none in the class. Fellow top-five recruit Aaron Bradshaw is a game-changer at both ends of the floor, finishing around the rim and blocking shots at the other end. Top-15 SG Robert Dillingham is a pure scoring presence, as well as a bona fide shot creator and playmaker. No. 21 Reed Sheppard will blend in right away with his fundamental play, offensive skill and decision-making.

I think Sheppard will be as valuable as any of the others. The comment/praise of ESPN's evaluation seemed begrudging. I imagine like a lot of these evaluations that it's based on the comments of others, and as we saw with Thiero a lot of these bozos see what they've been primed to see by like-minded bozos.

Last edited:
Reed has a really good feel for the game. Extremely high IQ and knows when to make the right pass. He's going to be the underrated piece of this recruiting class.

and Justin Edwards is going to be really good next season. Stretch 4 that UK has been waiting for.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The thing I most like about Reed is he isn't trying to be someone who he isn't. He lets the game come to him. Also, he's got that Kevin Love thing going on outlet passes. Amazing to watch.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
One type of player that Cal hasnt recruited in some time is a Terrence Jones. 6’’9,230 lbs and was very skilled offensively. Could also rebound and block shots. All of our forwards recently have been 6’7 and 180 lbs and not overly skilled. Having a player like this would take a huge burden off of Oscar or any center whose team they might be on. But Cal has slacked off in a lot of areas so I guess this is no surprise.

Hopefully one of these guys (besides Reed) develops an outside shot in college. Only time I’ve seen a player have less than favorable scouting reports on their shooting and come in and stroke it was Doron Lamb. But I do believe he was still heralded for his mid range shot.

If we start Wagner, Dilly, and Edwards and none of them can shoot it’s gonna be rough.

One type of player that Cal hasnt recruited in some time is a Terrence Jones. 6’’9,230 lbs and was very skilled offensively. Could also rebound and block shots. All of our forwards recently have been 6’7 and 180 lbs and not overly skilled. Having a player like this would take a huge burden off of Oscar or any center whose team they might be on. But Cal has slacked off in a lot of areas so I guess this is no surprise.
I think the transfer portal is a good place to pick up those kind of mature bodies that rebound in traffic and can hit an open spot up 3pt. shot.

These services over-value potential anyways, so it's highly possible Reed will be the most "valuable" recruit when all is said and done. Bball IQ is off the charts. Skill guy that we see at other teams and go, "Why doesn't UK get guys like that ....?"
I would guess that it's more than possible, and even very likely that Shepherd is the most valuable recruit - assuming he is a multi-year player and the others are not.

PJ Washington was pretty similar, but that was several years ago. He probably thought Bryce Hopkins could be that guy too.

Reactions: G-PIP
Sure. Slacked off with the number one recruiting class next year. Please Cal. Slack off some more.

Well let us hope Cal stays so we can actually get to see this class for all of those who wish him fired if he goes they go.

We had a good shot at Duren.

Sure. Slacked off with the number one recruiting class next year. Please Cal. Slack off some more.
You are truly an idiot. Number one recruiting class means nothing but points among the pundits. It doesn’t mean filling vacant roster spots or balancing depth. Cal has no idea how to fill out a roster. We rarely have good depth at every position. We are the top school in college basketball history and should be recruiting and coaching and playing as such. I know there is more parity than ever before but that is no excuse for us to be taking a step backward. I’m not sure where you came from but it’s pretty obvious you are a troll or just a complete Cal fan with no idea about the history of UK basketball. Please dont post here any more. You are a prime example of what my grandmother said years ago, “you can’t help the ignorant”.

Hopefully one of these guys (besides Reed) develops an outside shot in college. Only time I’ve seen a player have less than favorable scouting reports on their shooting and come in and stroke it was Doron Lamb. But I do believe he was still heralded for his mid range shot.

If we start Wagner, Dilly, and Edwards and none of them can shoot it’s gonna be rough.
They all three can shoot. And good. I’d say no one on this years team, including Frederick, (in practice I’m sure he can) can shoot as well as any of the 3.

No, that one is definitely right. Can you find Hopkins on the roster? Can you find evidence that Hopkins was fired? I can certainly find proof that he quit. If I were a Providence fan, like many here, I could show you evidence of his playing there. And I don't mean Providence, Ky.

PJ Washington was pretty similar, but that was several years ago. He probably thought Bryce Hopkins could be that guy too.
Yes he was, but TJ was a more dynamic athlete as well. Could leap, was strong, and could hit long range. TJs finest moments came in the 2012 tournament. Any rebound he wanted, he got. The glass was his.

No, that one is definitely right. Can you find Hopkins on the roster? Can you find evidence that Hopkins was fired? I can certainly find proof that he quit. If I were a Providence fan, like many here, I could show you evidence of his playing there. And I don't mean Providence, Ky.
Yea he quit because Cal wasn’t going to play him. Cal has his favorites and Bryce wasn’t one of them. Cal advised him to move on. Everyone knows that.

Bryce’s problem was he was not ranked high enough kinda like thiero.

Hopkins was ranked 38th while Theiro was ranked 164th.

Tyler Herro was ranked 37th in his class and played a ton. Isaiah Jackson was 30th, SGA was 31st, Johnny Juzang was 33rd, Ware and Onyenso were both 39th in their classes., and WCS was 43rd. I don't think playing time has anything to do with rankings for guys ranked in the 30s. These guys was all over the place. Several of them became starts by their sophomore years, unfortunately Juzang and Hopkins did it elsewhere.

Hopkins would be competing with Toppin if he had stayed here. He would have fit a lot better with his 3pt shooting. Cal would've probably tried to play them both though.

You are truly an idiot. Number one recruiting class means nothing but points among the pundits. It doesn’t mean filling vacant roster spots or balancing depth. Cal has no idea how to fill out a roster. We rarely have good depth at every position. We are the top school in college basketball history and should be recruiting and coaching and playing as such. I know there is more parity than ever before but that is no excuse for us to be taking a step backward. I’m not sure where you came from but it’s pretty obvious you are a troll or just a complete Cal fan with no idea about the history of UK basketball. Please dont post here any more. You are a prime example of what my grandmother said years ago, “you can’t help the ignorant”.
There are two really good things about about UK basketball this year and they are # 1. Next year's team and #2 Next years team. I can understand how Cal hate eats you up but it has also eaten up your brain cells much like meth. Even a brain dead comatose idiot should know that next years class is something special, the best in 10 years. And you call it meaningless? You just put a stupid asterisks on anything you post now, then and into the future.

There are two really good things about about UK basketball this year and they are # 1. Next year's team and #2 Next years team. I can understand how Cal hate eats you up but it has also eaten up your brain cells much like meth. Even a brain dead comatose idiot should know that next years class is something special, the best in 10 years. And you call it meaningless? You just put a stupid asterisks on anything you post now, then and into the future.
What will you do if next years class is a bust? Many have been in CCC'S tenure so far.

What will you do if next years class is a bust? Many have been in CCC'S tenure so far.
I wonder what fans here consider a “bust.” I suppose it depends on the value you place on high school rankings and Freshmen being relied on to carry a college team.

I wonder what fans here consider a “bust.” I suppose it depends on the value you place on high school rankings and Freshmen being relied on to carry a college team.
It's KENTUCKY BASKETBALL and considering results lately, what would you call it when we have t5 classes every year?

They all three can shoot. And good. I’d say no one on this years team, including Frederick, (in practice I’m sure he can) can shoot as well as any of the 3.
Please link one article saying any of the 3 are good shooters. I don’t mean to sound hostile, but I have only read articles and posts on here saying the opposite. If you have read scouts saying other wise I would love to see it.

I saw one poster say they read an article saying Wagner is shooting 25% from 3 so far this season.

Reactions: UKCats24
Please link one article saying any of the 3 are good shooters. I don’t mean to sound hostile, but I have only read articles and posts on here saying the opposite. If you have read scouts saying other wise I would love to see it.

I saw one poster say they read an article saying Wagner is shooting 25% from 3 so far this season.
I can just tell you to look at any of their shots. That is, how they shoot, the mechanics, the form. That tells me who can shoot along with how smooth (in rhythm with their legs) it is meaning not “hitchy” like Wheeler for instance. Who’s release is ok, but everything else is real bad.

“Terrific short mid-range game”
“Dangerous from 3-point land, though still developing consistency from longer distances, where he shoots the majority of his threes. Despite the low percentages, overall, he can fill it up.”

And unlike Fredrick, who has a nice shot, all 3 can create their own shot. Which we severely lack this year.

Many thought Reeves wasn’t a good shooter and I thought he’d be our best shooter this year.

Last edited:
I can just tell you to look at any of their shots. That is, how they shoot, the mechanics, the form. That tells me who can shoot along with how smooth (in rhythm with their legs) it is meaning not “hitchy” like Wheeler for instance. Who’s release is ok, but everything else is real bad.

“Dangerous from 3-point land, though still developing consistency from longer distances, where he shoots the majority of his threes. Despite the low percentages, overall, he can fill it up.”

And unlike Fredrick, who has a nice shot, all 3 can create their own shot. Which we severely lack this year.

Many thought Reeves wasn’t a good shooter and I thought he’d be our best shooter this year.
I think of the three incoming Guards as all being 3pt. scorers, rather than spot up 3pt. shooters. A 3pt. scorer is a player that is hard to guard because he can get the shot off quickly without needing much time or space, and even better if he can square up quickly coming around screens or with step-backs.

They take tougher shots, of course, which leads to more volume and a lower percentage. But if the form is good and everything else being equal, I believe the 3pt. scorer is the more valuable Guard even in regard to 3pt. shooting despite a relatively lower percentage from distance (say 34-36%). And his percentage should improve as he becomes more selective with better scorers around him.

So, personally, I would rather have spot up shooters come from the Forward positions and have Guards that are good 3pt. scorers.

Reactions: Greatestalltime

I asked for an article supporting your claim that they are good shooters and you give me a quote saying “despite poor percentages…”

I have a feeling if I push to hard on this you’re going to get defensive. But if you do find something proving they will be a consistent outside threat next season please share it. Idc if they can creat their own shot if they’re hitting 20-30% from deep. That’s not gonna win games at this level. This isn’t AAU man, it’s D1.

Hopefully I’m wrong and you’re right. Time will tell.

I asked for an article supporting your claim that they are good shooters and you give me a quote saying “despite poor percentages…”

I have a feeling if I push to hard on this you’re going to get defensive. But if you do find something proving they will be a consistent outside threat next season please share it. Idc if they can creat their own shot if they’re hitting 20-30% from deep. That’s not gonna win games at this level. This isn’t AAU man, it’s D1.

Hopefully I’m wrong and you’re right. Time will tell.
I’m a big boy and can handle your questions without getting upset like many posters. It’s fine really.

This is also from this article and I agree based on what I’ve seen of his stroke.
  • Shoots a clean, sometimes effortless ball with sound mechanics; he can really stroke it
  • The biggest driver of his low percentages, especially from 3, is his shot selection (see more on shot selection below)

Now there are guys like Frederick that have perfect form, but essentially choke in a game(I think Fredrick’s may start to fall, but maybe not. Maybe the stage is too big etc) I don’t think Wagner, with his pedigree will fold. His near flawless, effortless shot will make him shoot a better % in college.

This guy breaks his shot down. He’s no Rex or Allen Houston, who are top 5 in best looking shots ever, but his shot is damn nice. (Though in that pic he’s holding it weird, I’d guess he hasn’t got full control yet)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT