ADVERTISEMENT

Edit: Wildcats Baseball ranked 8th in 3 preseason polls (see latest post in thread)

I personally think that is way way too high. We lost White, Reks, Mahan, Carson, Marshall, and Heady. That is 6 of our 9/10 hitters and most of our production. Pompey returns, but how he will do without the protection of White, Reks, and Mahan is yet to be seen. It is a ton of production to have to replace. I like who we have coming in. There is a whole lot of talent there. Granted, I think our pitching will be top 3-5 in the league and possibly top 10 in the country, but to be a top 10 team you have to be a complete team. We certainly have the talent to get there, but I want to see us get a few games under our belt before they call us top 10. Of course, Baseball News is traditionally more kind to UK baseball than a lot of other publications.

I personally think that is way way too high. We lost White, Reks, Mahan, Carson, Marshall, and Heady. That is 6 of our 9/10 hitters and most of our production. Pompey returns, but how he will do without the protection of White, Reks, and Mahan is yet to be seen. It is a ton of production to have to replace. I like who we have coming in. There is a whole lot of talent there. Granted, I think our pitching will be top 3-5 in the league and possibly top 10 in the country, but to be a top 10 team you have to be a complete team. We certainly have the talent to get there, but I want to see us get a few games under our belt before they call us top 10. Of course, Baseball News is traditionally more kind to UK baseball than a lot of other publications.
Good info, thanks. I'm looking for some other polls.

Good info, thanks. I'm looking for some other polls.
We are still quite a ways away from the season. I am excited for the season, and think we can have a great one. We have the talent there to be a top 10 team, no doubt. We have a top 10 or top 15 recruiting class with a lot of JUCO talent taking over for those who left. Still, how those guys do at the SEC level is a question mark. I would just rather us be a bit under-rated and then move into the top 10 than to be in the top 10. However, a lot of this might be a product of the fact that we have one of the best pitching staffs in the SEC, if not the country, returning to cover the weekends. That alone is extremely exciting.

Reactions: ZenCatFan73
We are still quite a ways away from the season. I am excited for the season, and think we can have a great one. We have the talent there to be a top 10 team, no doubt. We have a top 10 or top 15 recruiting class with a lot of JUCO talent taking over for those who left. Still, how those guys do at the SEC level is a question mark. I would just rather us be a bit under-rated and then move into the top 10 than to be in the top 10. However, a lot of this might be a product of the fact that we have one of the best pitching staffs in the SEC, if not the country, returning to cover the weekends. That alone is extremely exciting.
Completely agree. Can’t wait!

Should have a great pitching staff. Who will be the top reliever? Machmer (spelling I am butchering I would guess)?

New stadium is the bomb, I go by it all the time and it is looking great. Can't wait.

Should have a great pitching staff. Who will be the top reliever? Machmer (spelling I am butchering I would guess)?

New stadium is the bomb, I go by it all the time and it is looking great. Can't wait.

Zach Haake should make an immediate impact. I'm a bit unconventional and would rather see him as a weekend reliever than a midweek starter, but I think I'm in the minority on that. A lot of very good young arms on this team. Not sure who will get the call. I imagine Machamer may be our closer.

Wow. Not only are we in the top 10, but uavel isn't! Maybe they might be put in the Lexington super regional this year!

Zach Haake should make an immediate impact. I'm a bit unconventional and would rather see him as a weekend reliever than a midweek starter, but I think I'm in the minority on that. A lot of very good young arms on this team. Not sure who will get the call. I imagine Machamer may be our closer.

Yeah, that's a good debate. Typically, I'd agree with you there. But we saw the value in what Mingione did with his midweek pitching last year and how much better it was under Henderson. Those are games you just can't sacrifice.

Yeah, that's a good debate. Typically, I'd agree with you there. But we saw the value in what Mingione did with his midweek pitching last year and how much better it was under Henderson. Those are games you just can't sacrifice.

Hate to bring this up, but thats one of the reasons why UofL has had so much success on the diamond. Their midweek guys were as good as some of the weekend rotation and when moved to the weekend, there was zero dropoff.

Honestly, I don't think that the difference between Henderson and Ming during the midweek was a lack of caring as much that I think Henderson couldn't really find and quickly develop bullpen depth. Last year we started the freshman Thompson for the most part during the midweek. He was really good and that's what helped us be more successful during that time.

Personally, I think the midweek games are great for developing a freshman and grooming him into being an SEC starter. I don't think Haake will need that grooming. So, I'd start Haake in one of the games where you play two midweek games and start a freshman like Marshall in the other game. Once SEC play starts I'd keep Haake as the main reliever and Marshall during the one midweek. On random weeks you've got two midweek games I'd likely start another promising JUCO, maybe Macchiochi or someone like that. Of course it all depends on how the bullpen develops .

Hate to bring this up, but thats one of the reasons why UofL has had so much success on the diamond. Their midweek guys were as good as some of the weekend rotation and when moved to the weekend, there was zero dropoff.

Yep... and I think that's because they used the midweek to develop great pitchers. I just don't think a guy like Haake will need that development.

Honestly, I don't think that the difference between Henderson and Ming during the midweek was a lack of caring as much that I think Henderson couldn't really find and quickly develop bullpen depth. Last year we started the freshman Thompson for the most part during the midweek. He was really good and that's what helped us be more successful during that time.

Personally, I think the midweek games are great for developing a freshman and grooming him into being an SEC starter. I don't think Haake will need that grooming. So, I'd start Haake in one of the games where you play two midweek games and start a freshman like Marshall in the other game. Once SEC play starts I'd keep Haake as the main reliever and Marshall during the one midweek. On random weeks you've got two midweek games I'd likely start another promising JUCO, maybe Macchiochi or someone like that. Of course it all depends on how the bullpen develops .
And there are plenty of Freshmen to choose from. Jimmy Ramsey may be the most impressive from what I saw in the Fall. Daniel Harper, Crosby Bringhust, Carson Coleman and Mason Hazelwood all looked like they could get hitters out. Marshall will probably be brought along slowly. He just started throwing again in November.

And there are plenty of Freshmen to choose from. Jimmy Ramsey may be the most impressive from what I saw in the Fall. Daniel Harper, Crosby Bringhust, Carson Coleman and Mason Hazelwood all looked like they could get hitters out. Marshall will probably be brought along slowly. He just started throwing again in November.
Thanks for that info. Lots of talented arms across the board. That's what I think separates Ming from Hendo... he'll develop a very good and deep bullpen

This is true.. but I can only think how far those guys came with a year under coach. Other teams will struggle early too and to be able to rely on our experienced pitching staff is huge.

This is true.. but I can only think how far those guys came with a year under coach. Other teams will struggle early too and to be able to rely on our experienced pitching staff is huge.

Very true. I think our team can play at that level, but I would kind of rather we have to grow to that level rather than live up to it.

ADVERTISEMENT