ADVERTISEMENT

Early look at South Carolina

UKErik

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The Gamecocks are off to a 2-0 start despite being outgained 927-605. How have they done it?

*Special teams. Deebo Samuel returned a kick for a touchdown against NC State. Then he did it AGAIN against Missouri.

*Turnovers. After two games, the Gamecocks have only one turnover. They're +4 overall. They were +3 yesterday.

*Taking advantage of short fields. The SC offense scored four TD's against NC State. Just one of those four drives went for more than 51 yards. One was a 13-yard drive. South Carolina scored three offensive touchdowns against Missouri. One of those drives went for more than 44 yards.

*Overall, South Carolina's offense has scored seven touchdowns. Two of the seven were long drives (both 80 yards, IIRC). Four of the seven were less than 50 yards. One was 51.

*Penalties. South Carolina has been called for just ten in two games.

In a nutshell, South Carolina has done a great job of not shooting themselves in the foot while being opportunistic with short fields. And Deebo Samuel...wow. Dude is a monster returning kicks, and UK defends kick returns about as well as I root for U of L (LOL).

Should be a great game next weekend!

GBB!!!

Good stuff Eric. So basically, we need to not kick it to Deebo, and make sure we don't give them a short field. I too think this will be a good game. Two good defensive teams, both looking for consistency from their offense, and both with a +4 turnover margin through two games. Neither team seems to have fully tapped into their potential. Team that wins the turnover battle will likely win this one. I would feel better about it if it were in Lexington, but I still like our chances as long as we take care of the ball.

Good stuff Eric. So basically, we need to not kick it to Deebo, and make sure we don't give them a short field. I too think this will be a good game. Two good defensive teams, both looking for consistency from their offense, and both with a +4 turnover margin through two games. Neither team seems to have fully tapped into their potential. Team that wins the turnover battle will likely win this one. I would feel better about it if it were in Lexington, but I still like our chances as long as we take care of the ball.

Not just good stuff, but great stuff, thanks for digging it all out for us.

It makes me feel a little better about our chances, but we will have to clean up a LOT of things to have a chance of beating them on the road.

They have one of the best young QBs around and some weapons, not only is Deebo crazy dangerous in the return game that one handed TD catch he made in the first game was pretty incredible, and I believe it was left handed also.

I hope he is left handed or ambidexterous, I would to hate think he has a better hand.

Last edited:
I'd much rather have the game in Lexington, but I'm not sure homefield advantage will make a huge difference this week. UK is actually 3-1 in their last four road games (all with Johnson at QB).

Seems like controlling Deebo (both in the return game and at WR) and avoiding turnovers will be the difference makers. Cats needs to get their short passing game going as well.

GBB!!!

Deebo has definitely been the difference for them, a great player. I predicted they would be 0-2 coming into our game but his play and timely turn overs has been the difference. We need to avoid turn overs, double team Deebo and kick away from him.

Better not kick it to Samuel. We might lose our kicker if he hits hard. No one else on the kick team seems to be able to make a tackle.

I think you will see mostly squib kicks to the upbacks to keep it out of Samuels hands. Unless we just kick it out of the end zone, otherwise he will take it out from 7-8 yards deep. He's probably playing with that much confidence. Squibbing it will give them the ball around the 30-35 most times if we cover it well, but that's better giving up a score.

I liked the way Johnson played in this game and I look for him to continue to play well against So. Carolina. I just hope that the defense and special teams play as well as they did against So. Miss.; and, I hope the offensive line shows up. GO CATS!!

South Carolina has a very questionable OL.

Ware, Allen, Paschal, and company could have a field day.
Oh yes, very, they man-handled NCSU's D-Line which is touted as one of the best this year. And only allowed 2 sacks in that game and none last night.
UK may pull it out in Columbia, although I doubt it, but it won't be because SC has a weak OL.

A lot of preseason talk about SCAR revolved around Bentley, and while he hasn't been bad I don't think he's been great. He missed on a few throws against Mizzou last night, but did a good job not turning the ball over. He's alright overall, but I don't think he's spectacular. Or at least not as good as the preseason hype led me to believe.

As mentioned in the OP, Deebo is what makes that offense dangerous. He's basically their version of Randall Cobb. They'll do everything they can to get the ball in his hands throughout the game. We absolutely CANNOT kick it to Deebo next weekend; he's going to do more than enough damage through his touches on offense, so giving him any more on special teams would be a disaster. They also have a very good TE in Hurst who played well against us last year IIRC and will be a difficult matchup for our defense.

Oh yes, very, they man-handled NCSU's D-Line which is touted as one of the best this year. And only allowed 2 sacks in that game and none last night.
UK may pull it out in Columbia, although I doubt it, but it won't be because SC has a weak OL.

Please stop.

I don't know of a position SC has an advantage over Kentucky and I follow SC some living in Columbia. As long as you've got your coaching staff there and we've got our staff, we're not losing to the Gamecocks for awhile.

NC State's line got manhandled by a rebuilding Marshall's Oline yesterday. They're not that good and neither is SC.

I'd much rather have the game in Lexington, but I'm not sure homefield advantage will make a huge difference this week. UK is actually 3-1 in their last four road games (all with Johnson at QB).

Seems like controlling Deebo (both in the return game and at WR) and avoiding turnovers will be the difference makers. Cats needs to get their short passing game going as well.

GBB!!!
I'd add to those keys - UK needs to make sure USC starts their possessions inside the 30 yard line (would be better inside the 20s). Panton needs to show up big time Saturday.

I believe we will play much better in Columbia. S.J. seems to play better in big games. I think the staff just needs to loosen up his leash and let the man make plays. Stick with the run game, play action will open up. We can't be as conservative and predictable in this game. When its all said and done, I say cats 27, cocks 24.

Deebo doesn't want any of McGinnis, he is our best tackler when it comes to kick coverage. (Lol)

They're averaging 302.5 yards offense. If we hold them to that and don't do anything stupid we should have an excellent chance to win.

Both teams have done what they needed to do to get to 2-0. However, both teams have some warts that need to be taken off, ie. the O-lines for both teams.
Cats still need more plays from our WR's, to complement CJ's great start, and our ST play better be on point against the Baney Roosters.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
The Gamecocks are off to a 2-0 start despite being outgained 927-605. How have they done it?

*Special teams. Deebo Samuel returned a kick for a touchdown against NC State. Then he did it AGAIN against Missouri.

*Turnovers. After two games, the Gamecocks have only one turnover. They're +4 overall. They were +3 yesterday.

*Taking advantage of short fields. The SC offense scored four TD's against NC State. Just one of those four drives went for more than 51 yards. One was a 13-yard drive. South Carolina scored three offensive touchdowns against Missouri. One of those drives went for more than 44 yards.

*Overall, South Carolina's offense has scored seven touchdowns. Two of the seven were long drives (both 80 yards, IIRC). Four of the seven were less than 50 yards. One was 51.

*Penalties. South Carolina has been called for just ten in two games.

In a nutshell, South Carolina has done a great job of not shooting themselves in the foot while being opportunistic with short fields. And Deebo Samuel...wow. Dude is a monster returning kicks, and UK defends kick returns about as well as I root for U of L (LOL).

Should be a great game next weekend!

GBB!!!
Sad , but after seeing both teams now twice I'm saying SC by at least 21.

21 carries for 31 yards (1.5 per rush) and 246 total yards. Either you don't know what manhandled means or I don't. I don't think it's me, though.

Please stop.

I don't know of a position SC has an advantage over Kentucky and I follow SC some living in Columbia. As long as you've got your coaching staff there and we've got our staff, we're not losing to the Gamecocks for awhile.

NC State's line got manhandled by a rebuilding Marshall's Oline yesterday. They're not that good and neither is SC.
Are you insane?

Please stop.

Cocks 42-17.

KY beat a much better UofL team with the most dangerous QB in the country at their place not long ago. I highly doubt SC poses anything real worrisome that UofL did not. Only difference is KY's Oline is struggling so we have no clue what offense shows up. Stoops is going to open things up but still play physical defense and do everything possible to limit turnovers.

This game is a tossup and I only give SC the advantage because its at their place.

Please stop.

So living in Columbia gives you an advantage in what? I watched every play of the UK games and watched every play of the SC games. You don't know of a position SC has an advantage in?????? Your comment reminds me of the famous line "Waiter, I'll have what he's having." You blue glasses are obviously fogged up a little. I actually think this may be one of the worst KY teams I've seen in 10 years. But we'll see Saturday I guess.

KY beat a much better UofL team with the most dangerous QB in the country at their place not long ago. I highly doubt SC poses anything real worrisome that UofL did not. Only difference is KY's Oline is struggling so we have no clue what offense shows up. Stoops is going to open things up but still play physical defense and do everything possible to limit turnovers.

This game is a tossup and I only give SC the advantage because its at their place.

Whatever makes you sleep better. But I know, KY has been holding back for the big game vs SC.

So living in Columbia gives you an advantage in what? I watched every play of the UK games and watched every play of the SC games. You don't know of a position SC has an advantage in?????? Your comment reminds me of the famous line "Waiter, I'll have what he's having." You blue glasses are obviously fogged up a little. I actually think this may be one of the worst KY teams I've seen in 10 years. But we'll see Saturday I guess.
If you think this is the worst UK team in ten years tells me you never saw a minute of at least 6 seasons. Not long ago we were 2-10. So if we win this one, how poor does that make your team?

Reactions: Taiza

I'm sure you had the same thought last year after we lost to USM and came out sluggish vs. New Mexico St. Honestly just think we're playing to the level of or competition right now. All I know is Stephen Johnson comes out for big games. Hopefully it's a good one, should be a good game and a great environment.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
ADVERTISEMENT