ADVERTISEMENT

Eagles petition against ref

Someone needs to put together a good video of the worst called games in any sport ranked 1 through 10.

There have been many huge bad calls that have affected outcomes, but UK UNC has to be #1 for worst ever officiated game.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
In NCAA, each coach should be allowed 1 official/ref veto (can't call your games). You submit that name on Monday before each weekend. Shouldn't be too difficult for the tournament to accommodate. And if a lot of teams name the same guy, then do you really want him calling any of your games!

The only game I have ever watched that I was positive was rigged by the refs (OK, just the home plate umpire) was a Braves-Marlins playoff game. The outside corner was a ball for Greg Maddux and 6 inches outside was a strike for Livan Hernandez. I had no dog in the fight but I was never so convinced a game was fixed in my life. Easy number 1.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Remember the Braves/Marlins game. Deliberate on the umps part.

Worst single call I remember (non-UK) was ncaa game Georgetown vs NC State. Alonzo mourning switched off on Wolfpack guard (Corchiani?)and fouled him on a jump shot but the call made was walking with replay clearly showing the foul and no walking. Would have been mourning's 5th late in a tie game. Hoyas went on to win. Years later ref apologized saying he "missed" the call.

The only game I have ever watched that I was positive was rigged by the refs (OK, just the home plate umpire) was a Braves-Marlins playoff game. The outside corner was a ball for Greg Maddux and 6 inches outside was a strike for Livan Hernandez. I had no dog in the fight but I was never so convinced a game was fixed in my life. Easy number 1.

Huge braves fan. Maddux could paint a corner 90% of the time. That game was awful. Ugh

i cant see objecting to a missed call if not in a crucial situation, it happens. It is the pattern of calls or repeat missed calls that has to be the issue.

i cant see objecting to a missed call if not in a crucial situation, it happens. It is the pattern of calls or repeat missed calls that has to be the issue.

Like certain refs with a history of making calls like the ones below against us?

John_Higgins.gif

C7-aWdAVwAEYxfG.jpg

Last edited:
Game Six or Seven between the Lakers and Kings was fixed by the refs. Ralph Nader even filed a lawsuit against the NBA or the refs on behalf of the Kings. Years later that crooked ref Tim Donaghy admitted it was fixed. The NBA did the whole "nothing to see here" routine, but everyone at the time said it was one-sided as hell.

In NCAA, each coach should be allowed 1 official/ref veto (can't call your games). You submit that name on Monday before each weekend. Shouldn't be too difficult for the tournament to accommodate. And if a lot of teams name the same guy, then do you really want him calling any of your games!

I like this idea a lot. It's reminiscent of how in high school debate teams can "strike" a certain number of judges that they do not want to see for various reasons (e.g. philosophy, style they prefer, etc.). It'd add a nice element to the tournament.

I'm not sure the 2017 loss was worse than the 2010 one.. That 2010 game was mind boggling.

Game Six or Seven between the Lakers and Kings was fixed by the refs. Ralph Nader even filed a lawsuit against the NBA or the refs on behalf of the Kings. Years later that crooked ref Tim Donaghy admitted it was fixed. The NBA did the whole "nothing to see here" routine, but everyone at the time said it was one-sided as hell.
Sure was.

How so? Don't remember a whole lot about that game other than us missing almost every 3 pointer we took. Ugh.

We got hosed. Start to finish. They took our guys out all game because of fouls and IIRC at least 4 of our guys fouled out, maybe 5. It was just constant ticky tack fouls called on us.

That game had the feeling of "We need to equalize Kentucky after they beat us the year prior". One of the worst officiated games in the Cal era for Kentucky..

We got hosed. Start to finish. They took our guys out all game because of fouls and IIRC at least 4 of our guys fouled out, maybe 5. It was just constant ticky tack fouls called on us.

That game had the feeling of "We need to equalize Kentucky after they beat us the year prior". One of the worst officiated games in the Cal era for Kentucky..

He thinks you're talking about the West Virginia game when you're talking about the UK-UNC game at Chapel Hill from the season that concluded in 2011.

3 guys fouled out for us: Wall, Miller, and Liggins. Bledsoe had 4 fouls. Here's the box score for that game.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2010-03-27-kentucky.html

Reactions: UKCatWoman
ADVERTISEMENT