ADVERTISEMENT

Dwane Casey NBA Coach of Year -- YES !!!

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
Dwane Casey NBA Coach of Year
by Larry Vaught

rXasW48EA2OHYlSRsLAW9o9g6P5mKKwSorrmk2u6m_Gi-V-QMXFgbnFSdOlYqiZxNsSxaLB5PSvI5Iqh9M25HXcxyDXkRgR7wWnXPdiDxYiihk7a5dWoolJtMDZML_Mf=s0-d-e1-ft

Jamaal Magloire and Dwane Casey (Vicky Graff Photo)

TORONTO – Former Kentucky men’s basketball player and assistant coach Dwane Casey was named the Michael H. Goldberg National Basketball Coaches Association Coach of the Year on Wednesday after guiding the Toronto Raptors to the best record in the NBA Eastern Conference this season.

Casey was tabbed the NBA’s best in a vote by the league’s 30 head coaches after the regular season. The award recognizes the dedication, commitment and hard work of NBA head coaches and is presented annually to a head coach who helps guide his players to a higher level of performance on the court and shows outstanding service and dedication to the community off the court. It honors the spirit of Michael H. Goldberg, the longtime NBCA executive director “who set the standard for loyalty, integrity, love of the game, passionate representation and tireless promotion of NBA coaching.”

“To be honored by your peers is incredibly gratifying, and I am so thankful to my colleagues across the league for this recognition,” Casey said in a release. “I’m also grateful to the talented and dedicated coaching staff I work with every day in Toronto. To be recognized with an award that bears Michael H. Goldberg’s name is very special.”

The NBCA Coach of the Year is separate of the NBA Coach of the Year. The NBA will announce the winner of the Red Auerbach Trophy as the NBA Coach of the Year on June 25 at the NBA Awards Show.

A member of the 1978 Kentucky national championship team, Casey lettered at UK from 1976-79. He also served as a graduate assistant in 1980 and an assistant coach during the 1987-89 seasons.

In his seventh season as head coach of the Toronto Raptors, Casey guided Toronto to a 59-23 record and the top overall seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Raptors fell to the LeBron James-led Cleveland Cavaliers this past week in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

The Raptors’ franchise leader in career wins, Casey has guided Toronto to four Atlantic Division titles in the last five seasons. This past season he became the first coach in franchise history to coach in the NBA All-Star Game.

Casey has enjoyed a long and successful professional coaching career since his time at Kentucky. He’s won more than 300 games with Toronto, led the Minnesota Timberwolves as head coach from 2006-07, served as an assistant for the Dallas Mavericks and Seattle SuperSonics, and has coached internationally.

AlohaCat

They need to get a top tier talent that can make DeRozan #2 and Lower #3.

Combine that with the adjsutment Casey did would make for one exciting team.

They need to get a top tier talent that can make DeRozan #2 and Lower #3.

Combine that with the adjsutment Casey did would make for one exciting team.

Hell, at this point it would be Lowery #2 and Derozan #3. Derozan only excelled in the regular season when teams didn't bother to play defense. Lowery isn't particularly elite or athletic, but much better than Derozan in crunch time.

Hell, at this point it would be Lowery #2 and Derozan #3. Derozan only excelled in the regular season when teams didn't bother to play defense. Lowery isn't particularly elite or athletic, but much better than Derozan in crunch time.
Lowry has one of the biggest regular season to playoffs statistical dropoffs in NBA history.

That's not the actual NBA Coach of The Year Award and he doesn't deserve it imo. The coaches overlooked the incredible job Brad Stevens did all season with much of his team on the injury list most all season and his two top players out either all season or the last part of the season. Despite all the injuries he still has the Celtics in the East finals while Casey is on summer break. Just my opinion, that's all.

That's not the actual NBA Coach of The Year Award and he doesn't deserve it imo. The coaches overlooked the incredible job Brad Stevens did all season with much of his team on the injury list most all season and his two top players out either all season or the last part of the season. Despite all the injuries he still has the Celtics in the East finals while Casey is on summer break. Just my opinion, that's all.
Boston beat Miami and Philly.

Agree completely. The voting is conducted before the playoffs. Brad Stevens should have gotten it for the way he kept the Celtics competitive during the season among a host of injuries. As for Casey his team just laid down for the Cavaliers. And I am sorry, I must have a long memory but Casey about single-handedly took down the KY program in 1988 leading to Sutton's resignation and then his own. If ROY balloting is also before the playoffs I assume Simmons will get it over Donovan Mitchell - another travesty. If you dislike Pitino as much as me you have to like Mitchell. Mitchell just another proof of how Pitino held back his players development for whatever reasons. Probably because with Pitino he never wanted any of his players to outshine him.

Last edited:
This is strictly about the regular season. The voting was done before the playoffs started. That has to change your view. Casey deserved it based on the regular season.

Reactions: crpoore and blubo
This is strictly about the regular season. The voting was done before the playoffs started. That has to change your view. Casey deserved it based on the regular season.

I still disagree. What Stevens did during the regular season on a nightly basis, not knowing who he would even have on the roster game to game, was just incredible. With a makeshift lineup nearly every game he was still able to secure the #2 spot in the conference, something I would not have thought possible with all the major injuries suffered by the C's all season long. Stevens was fantastic, regular season as well as playoffs.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Well at least he can put that on his what’s soon to be newly updated resume.

Speaking of high to low .

Remember that team Virginia. Coach of the year to first round loss to 16 seed. :joy::joy::joy:

Reactions: howercat
ADVERTISEMENT