ADVERTISEMENT

Duke has the POY, Defensive POY and Rookie of the Year.....

Like last year when UK was seeded ahead of LSU, or the year before that when UK was seeded above Florida?
I'll bring this back to the conference awards as original. You think Tre Jones is the ACC POY? Really??

Footnote - does an air ball scored on count as an assist or a rebound in the ACC?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'll bring this back to the conference awards as original. You think Tre Jones is the ACC POY? Really??

Nah, I think Carey was. But Duke gamed it for Jones. But it’s equal media and staff from every team who votes on it so they all could have easily picked someone else.

Nah, I think Carey was. But Duke gamed it for Jones. But it’s equal media and staff from every team who votes on it so they all could have easily picked someone else.
Appreciate it - so basically as with ALL things Duke - Duke "gamed" it - and you admit it. Unusual to have a Dukie admit the bias - but I'll take it.

Some days I go through life and wonder if anything I say has meaning - then I get a Dukie to admit bias - and I realize some truths can't be denied.

Appreciate it - so basically as with ALL things Duke - Duke "gamed" it - and you admit it. Unusual to have a Dukie admit the bias - but I'll take it.

Some days I go through life and wonder if anything I say has meaning - then I get a Dukie to admit bias - and I realize some truths can't be denied.

To be fair, as I said, the voters could have easily selected Nwora or Mooney for it who both finished with more votes than Tre for all-ACC teams.

To be fair, as I said, the voters could have easily selected Nwora or Mooney for it who both finished with more votes than Tre for all-ACC teams.
No - to be fair and accurate - you said "Duke gamed it for Jones"... to be fair and accurate....

ACC/ESPiN/Bilas continue to hype Jones - who is average but active. Hype...

No - to be fair and accurate - you said "Duke gamed it for Jones"... to be fair and accurate....

ACC/ESPiN/Bilas continue to hype Jones - who is average but active. Hype...

I’m definitely not taking back what I said. Duke gamed it. But why did everyone vote for Jones then? Are all the other ACC teams in it to promote Duke? If so I really wish they would have let us win a few more games this year.

Forecasters had no idea the ACC was going to be as bad as it is though.
They had UNC as a top 10 team, so that should tell you just how far off they were.
Not only that, but I doubt the forecasters had duke losing to Wake, NCSU and Clemson. Those are bad losses in a regular year, but this year, they are embarrassing losses.

Well, I think this is a down year for many schools and conferences. While Duke had some head scratchers, NCSU is a tournament team, although Wake and Clemson pretty much suck.

This year is so weird that Clemson beat Duke, FSU, Louisville, NCSU, Syracuse and finally won at UNC for the first time ever.

UK has had some tough ones to explain as well, not just Duke, and from teams that will not make the NCAA tournament.

So Jones finished 4th in All-ACC voting but wins POY? Vernon Carey has the most votes for All-ACC but doesn’t win POY because Duke nominated Tre Jones for the award but not Carey? Seems really bizarre.

Actually, some of the UNC writers left Tre off their 1st team All ACC, which is why Tre finished 4th in the All ACC voting.

This is not true, the won the regular season title in 2010 and won the ACC tournament title in 2017 and 2019.
Nope, it's true. They shared it in 2010. Last solo championship was in 2006.

And I didn't say anything about the ACC tourney. I understand they have won that more recently. I was talking only about regular season conf. title. More telling of the strength of a team anyhow.

The Duke fans on here defending K over his underwhelming the last few years despite having the best talent in the NCAA is hilarious.

Eh, it’s been disappointing results for sure but I’m not going to complain about a coach with 5 NCAA titles who keeps bringing in great talent past the age of 70.

Also Cal has been bringing in some pretty awesome talent too and only has that one title.

PLUS, they flamed out early last year with the best player of his generation -- Zion. And the 2nd best player of his generation -- Barrett. And the best shooting guard in the country -- Reddish. And the best coach. Etc., etc.
I still think the only reason why the hype got so high was because of the blowout in their first game. Everyone thought they were world beaters after that. Even with the personnel they had, they still struggled against lessor teams. They struggled to put away UCF at full strength. Then they struggled against VTech. It wasn't a huge surprise to me they finally lost to MSU. Zion was great. Barret was good. But as a team, they were merely okay.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Nope, it's true. They shared it in 2010. Last solo championship was in 2006.

And I didn't say anything about the ACC tourney. I understand they have won that more recently. I was talking only about regular season conf. title. More telling of the strength of a team anyhow.

Gotcha. If anyone wants to say that Coach K has underachieved, fine, I think in some respects, he has. He's had great talent and not capitalized as often as the fans would like. These things definitely happen, the players get tight, the staff can not adjust, etc.

It's hard to win and it's hard to win a title. If Duke can win a title over the next few years, they could have 3 titles in an 11-12 year span. I think fans will take that.

4th in the worst year the ACC has had since...?

How long has it been since Duke won the conference outright?

The real shame is that they're buying all these players and keeping them from playing for a coach that can win with freshmen.
OGC.44b56a3ffc7de9f23b2fb461165e9d62

Actually, they only finished a game behind the 1st place team, but tiebreakers have them 4th. I think we can all agree that Duke underachieved a little since February. However, I think a lot of preseason people had them losing 6 or 7 games this season. They are right on that number.

We'll see which Duke team shows up during the NCAA tournament. I can see them in the sweet 16.
Spin it DJ

Eh, it’s been disappointing results for sure but I’m not going to complain about a coach with 5 NCAA titles who keeps bringing in great talent past the age of 70.

Also Cal has been bringing in some pretty awesome talent too and only has that one title.
Lol if he got the treatment K does, he would have at least six. Yes, six. Easily.

3 times? Please elaborate.....that means explain and give facts

My apologies, I was wrong about the winning 3 times. They won twice, 2017 and 2019, and was in the conference title game in 2014. So, they've been in the conference title game 3 times recently and won 2.

I can admit that I was wrong.

Like last year when UK was seeded ahead of LSU, or the year before that when UK was seeded above Florida?
You really are a special kind of pathetic if you're really going to talk seeding when you're a fan of the frauds who have had preferrential seeding since Jay Bilas had hair

Reactions: struggler

That's the only straw you you guys can cling to. The fraud would still be bringing in about 3-4 Matthew Hurt's a year if hadn't decided to copy every single thing Cal does at UK. The bag men at Nike have made him relevant with recruits, absolutley not himself.

I still think the only reason why the hype got so high was because of the blowout in their first game. Everyone thought they were world beaters after that. Even with the personnel they had, they still struggled against lessor teams. They struggled to put away UCF at full strength. Then they struggled against VTech. It wasn't a huge surprise to me they finally lost to MSU. Zion was great. Barret was good. But as a team, they were merely okay.
They were merely okay as a team because K didn't manage it properly.

That team had more weapons than our 2012 team.

They had a once in a generation player (Zion), they had a transcendemt player (RJ), they had a 5* pg who, we were told, was the best on ball defender in the country (Jones) and they had another 5* burger boy wing in Reddish, who would have been a star player on.most other rosters in the country.

Sorry, but that team should have won the title, but if that ball rolls in, they lose in the 2nd round. If that ball rolls in, they lose in the sweet 16, then finally they lose in the E8 and got manhandled in the process by a team that got beat by Texas Tech.

K is a hell of a coach, but that doesn't mean he is any good at coaching freshmen.

Last edited:
If Coach K hears you have questioned his ability he would point to all the banners in the rafters with his middle finger.

Gotcha. If anyone wants to say that Coach K has underachieved, fine, I think in some respects, he has. He's had great talent and not capitalized as often as the fans would like. These things definitely happen, the players get tight, the staff can not adjust, etc.

It's hard to win and it's hard to win a title. If Duke can win a title over the next few years, they could have 3 titles in an 11-12 year span. I think fans will take that.

Reactions: mustnotsleepnow
My apologies, I was wrong about the winning 3 times. They won twice, 2017 and 2019, and was in the conference title game in 2014. So, they've been in the conference title game 3 times recently and won 2.

I can admit that I was wrong.
A lot of practice I'm sure

That's the only straw you you guys can cling to. The fraud would still be bringing in about 3-4 Matthew Hurt's a year if hadn't decided to copy every single thing Cal does at UK. The bag men at Nike have made him relevant with recruits, absolutley not himself.

He was recruiting pretty well when Cal was just hitting puberty so I don’t think Cal has anything to do with it.

If Coach K hears you have questioned his ability he would point to all the banners in the rafters with his middle finger.

Haha, that's funny. Cal is the same way, if people question him, he takes the same stance. All the great coaches do it, even Roy Williams. It's just the way coaches are. Funny thing is, a lot of the fans on this board question Cal pretty often.

We can play nice, no need to hit below the belt.
I don't like fans of the frauds. I don't like them on this board. If I were in charge, they would never be on here. If you're looking for someone to acknowledge your school or your coach and show them respect......look elsewhere.

Haha, that's funny. Cal is the same way, if people question him, he takes the same stance. All the great coaches do it, even Roy Williams. It's just the way coaches are. Funny thing is, a lot of the fans on this board question Cal pretty often.

Cal has never said to look at his accomplishments like Coach K did. If you can find one instance I will admit I am wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT