ADVERTISEMENT

Duke 34 FTs, Auburn Nine - Seems Fair!

The_Answer is a very smart poster. He knows the game. And in some ways, yes, Duke should have more FTs than Auburn. Physical teams draw more fouls, and Pearl's teams can sometimes be aggressive on defense.

But this just happens far too often. Every year it's the same thing: Duke knows how to somehow defend without fouling, and 8%5 of opposing teams somehow forget to. It doesn't matter if it's a bunch of experience shooters or athletic freshman for Duke. Same story, every year.

A lot of it is Coach K's clout. We'll see what happens when he leaves and an unproven coach comes on board. I get the feeling players are going to be surprised at how easily fouls are called.
KY had Duke in very bad could trouble in the first half and then magically by the end of the half it all evened out.

Sorry to say bud, but this has been refuted.

but lol at the last part.

I watched the game. Duke drove and attacked or drove and dished. Auburn chucked 3s or tried to one on one juke and then shoot 3s. The way the two teams played wasn't the least bit similar. Most of Duke's 3s were off dribble penetration first or swinging the ball. Auburn's were off ball stopping shots. Basketball isn't hard.

Just because the total 3s taken by both teams was somewhat close doesn't mean whatsoever that both teams played the same type of game. That's the simpleton way of putting it.

one team drove the ball and attacked the rim and the other jacked 3s like their dicks would fall off if they didn't.

That foul discrepancy usually happens.

Auburn took 45 2-point shot attempts. Duke took 29 2-point shot attempts. Yet Auburn's 16 additional shot attempts inside the arc, resulted in 25 fewer free throw attempts. There's no defending that.

Auburn took 45 2-point shot attempts. Duke took 29 2-point shot attempts. Yet Auburn's 16 additional shot attempts inside the arc, resulted in 25 fewer free throw attempts. There's no defending that.

Did you watch the game?

Nevermind... you're gonna say yea. Both teams did not play the same. Auburn's offense was not as conducive to drawing fouls as Duke's was. Duke drove AT people. Auburn jacked shots.

Did you watch the game?

Nevermind... you're gonna say yea. Both teams did not play the same. Auburn's offense was not as conducive to drawing fouls as Duke's was. Duke drove AT people. Auburn jacked shots.

So then what explains all those years prior where Duke was a 3pt shooting team? New teams every year, all types of players and all types of styles...

But they never seem to commit fouls and they always get that extra bit of protection.

Reactions: Wildcatsworld
Did you watch the game?

I did. And I'm not a blame the ref guy. I think there's far too much complaining about officiating on here during our games, and many times it's unwarranted. But Auburn had no chance with that whistle. Literally no chance. When I look at the state of college basketball today, and how desperately it needs a "story" on the court to take away from what's going on off the court, I don't think it's an accident.

Having a "cheater" like Bruce Pearl end the Golden Boy's run at an undefeated season before it ever really got started -- when you're looking to sell the "all that is right" about college basketball narrative -- would have been a disaster. If Arizona wins tonight, mark it down, you'll see a similar whistle tomorrow. If Gonzaga wins, it may be more balanced.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Also, still doesn't explain how Duke, being a bunch of freshman and mauling Auburn at times, wound up with so few fouls.

Coach K can't coach a lick of defense..but here we are, Freshman, offensive minded players who are now defensive savants. Meanwhile, there's a Kentucky player somewhere shurgging his arms like "Wait, that's a foul".

So then what explains all those years prior where Duke was a 3pt shooting team? New teams every year, all types of players and all types of styles..

they're still a 3 point shooting team because they have a team full of guys that can make em. This year, however, they have a lineup full of wings that are skilled as shit and can drive and kick or drive to score at the rim. They usually haven't had that. K completely revamped his offense... just like he said he was going to play more like the Warriors and we all laughed because we didn't think they'd have the shooting.

Well... they do. But if the guys want they can also score at the rim. That's the difference. K has a team full of dudes rather than a team full of bitches, like usual.

I am beginning to believe those with the power have decided this will be the next team to go undefeated and win it all. Also, they will place UK in Duke's bracket to have one more humiliating beat-down on the Cats and coach Cal.

Did you watch the game?

Austin Wiley was gang raped under the basket a couple of times with no call. Jared was mugged at the end of the half..no call. Samir Doughty was murdered driving the lane to start the second half...no call...followed by Samir getting called for sneezing on a Duke player at the other end.

We shot a whopping 7 more threes than Duke...had SEVENTY SEVEN shots in the game and shot 9 free throws. Yes...we prefer to shoot 3s but to say that we never drove the hole or tried to attack inside is ludicrous. Getting 9 FTs to their 34 is equally ludicrous.

That said..Duke is damn good and deserved to win the game. Bruce even said after the game we took too many stupid shots. Great learning experience in November. But the fouls were stupidly lopsided to Duke.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
In the last 5 years........3 of those years Duke has ranked in the top 10 of all NCAA teams in not fouling.

I know some will say that's refs protection.

I see it as a repeatable skill.

You know who else never fouls? Villanova and Michigan.

Some teams year in and year out are consistently good in areas.

Also some teams get to the line.

I mean we have feasted on the line since Cal has gotten here.

But no one would ever say the refs are for us lol.

Austin Wiley was gang raped under the basket a couple of times with no call. Jared was mugged at the end of the half..no call. Samir Doughty was murdered driving the lane to start the second half...no call...followed by Samir getting called for sneezing on a Duke player at the other end.

We shot a whopping 7 more threes than Duke...had SEVENTY SEVEN shots in the game and shot 9 free throws. Yes...we prefer to shoot 3s but to say that we never drove the hole or tried to attack inside is ludicrous. Getting 9 FTs to their 34 is equally ludicrous.

:cry:

Did you watch the game?

Yeah, I watched the game. Also heard the announcers complain about officiating.

Yeah, I watched the game. Also heard the announcers complain about officiating.

you're pointing out one incident where a call may have been missed where the ref didn't have the benefit of slow motion replay and the player hit the wrist rather than the ball on a fast break attempt.

[banana]

Reckon I surrender.

Geez, talk about lopsided, Auburn beats Duke if they meet again in the tourney, they matched up well with them.
Please tell me your not shocked by this !! If they played ten times the free throw difference would be the same , Hell I am surprised it was that close.

I'll bet Auburn doesn't finish top 10 in the SEC this season in FTAs because their style of offense doesn't lend itself to being fouled a great deal. They have one big and 4 other guys that float around the 3 point line waiting to jack a jumper.

I'll bet Auburn doesn't finish top 10 in the SEC this season in FTAs because their style of offense doesn't lend itself to being fouled a great deal. They have one big and 4 other guys that float around the 3 point line waiting to jack a jumper.

FWIW even tho they aren’t getting to the line this season they actually did last season.

But the SEC has been a foul happy league for years now so it’s possible that over inflated their number.

We shot more free throws than Duke and got humiliated into another hemisphere

The_Answer is a very smart poster. He knows the game. And in some ways, yes, Duke should have more FTs than Auburn. Physical teams draw more fouls, and Pearl's teams can sometimes be aggressive on defense.

But this just happens far too often. Every year it's the same thing: Duke knows how to somehow defend without fouling, and 8%5 of opposing teams somehow forget to. It doesn't matter if it's a bunch of experience shooters or athletic freshman for Duke. Same story, every year.

A lot of it is Coach K's clout. We'll see what happens when he leaves and an unproven coach comes on board. I get the feeling players are going to be surprised at how easily fouls are called.

And this is also why Duke tends to flame out early in the tournament. Once they get out of Greensboro, without the favorable whistle, they tend to lose because they don't know how to win without a bunch of free throws. Last year they actually had a pretty poor free throw shooting team and it cost them.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I’m glad you guys feel like this about free throws revealing obvious referee preference and bias. I wonder if you will hold that position when you realize that last year, uk attempted the most free throws in college basketball (930) but only had the 291st most free throws attempted against them (725).
If you guys are mad at the special treatment duke got tonight, you must be furious at how the refs clearly favored uk last year! Because that’s what free throws prove, right?

Reactions: jrtplaya
Free throws...
Kentucky 35
VMI 5

That was 100% fair. When team shot a lot of 3s like VMI and Auburn they draw fewer fouls. Always have, always will.

I didn’t watch one second of the game so I really have no input on it but simply stating shooting threes is the reason isn’t even remotely close. I recall reading this thread to see how the game was going and at one point duke had shot 18 free throws to zero for Auburn. Game stats showed both teams were 6-23 from three point range around that time.

I will bet Auburn shoots more fts that we do when we play them !!

Geez, talk about lopsided, Auburn beats Duke if they meet again in the tourney, they matched up well with them.

That is to be expected in 85% of all Duke games, for some reason, the Rat has this ability to get into ref's heads. I don't mind Duke shooting that many FT's but there is no way with a young team that they did not commit more fouls than that. Auburn should have shoot at least 20 or more FT's

Dukes talent combined with their insane whistle is why they're a threat to be undefeated.

Our nearly undefeated team lost with Higgins making every bad call imaginable. Including the basket two seconds after the shot clock expired.

Meanwhile duke has three players. They'll never see foul trouble. Even though one plays like a bull in a China shop
And most of the time the big guys like Zion stand out and are called for more fouls, but not in this case.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Duke 29 to 38
SIU 12 to 27
UND 18 to 30
VMI 5 to 35

Our opponents free throw attempts versus our free throw attempts so far this season. Honestly sick of hearing excuses about "bias" in just about every aspect of life these days.

Barrett as well, even Bilas shockingly said Pearl should be pissed because he pushed off three times and no call.
Agree, but Zion is really huge and guys like that stand out so much that a lot of times they get whistled for fouls more than smaller players, but not in this case. It made no difference whatsoever but Duke got away with a lot of push offs when we played them as well.

Duke 29 to 38
SIU 12 to 27
UND 18 to 30
VMI 5 to 35

Our opponents free throw attempts versus our free throw attempts so far this season. Honestly sick of hearing excuses about "bias" in just about every aspect of life these days.
Over the last 25 years or so, the two times that I thought we really got shafted on free throws was in 1991(I believe that was the year) at IU and the 1997 title game against Arizona. You can expect a free throw disparity in college basketball if you're playing on the road or against a team that primarily jacks up three's and doesn't draw contact going to the hoop. Yeah, you have a point in that all you hear these days is bias or someone offended about something.

Peral's teams can usually be whistled for 100 fouls if the refs so wished.
Constant hand-checking and grabbing.
The disparity does not surprise me and only indicates to me that Bruce's team, as always, committed a bunch of fouls - and probably got called for fewer than it should have.

I watched the game. Duke drove and attacked or drove and dished. Auburn chucked 3s or tried to one on one juke and then shoot 3s. The way the two teams played wasn't the least bit similar. Most of Duke's 3s were off dribble penetration first or swinging the ball. Auburn's were off ball stopping shots. Basketball isn't hard.

Just because the total 3s taken by both teams was somewhat close doesn't mean whatsoever that both teams played the same type of game. That's the simpleton way of putting it.
I watched the game as well. I would suggest you rewatch it. Yes, Auburn did chuck some 3s but they also drove to the hoop, especially early. Duke did what it has done for years which is dribble drive and kick. The tone was set early by the refs when Duke outshot Auburn 18-0 in the first half. Duke was given fouls down low that Auburn was not and allowed to be more handsy on the perimeter. You are providing the narrative that ESPN (the Duke Network) and the announcers were giving as they raved about Duke almost every minute of that game. Duke has a fantastic team but they did chuck 3s, they force a lot of shots, and they did foul. For most of the last 15 years it hasn't been as bad but from 1988 to 2004, Duke dominated the officiating, not simply because they were talented (which, of course they were) but also because the officials gave almost the entire team superstar calls. If Duke gets that kind of leeway this year, it will be tough to beat them (which it will anyway).

Reactions: Col. Angus
Duke is very good. They’re going to have a fantastic record this year. But in the end they’re still freshman dominated. When they get under the bright lights and gut check time in March when the game’s are one-and-done those rims are going to look about the size of a pie pan to those youngsters. That 26 foot trey that Reddish hit last night immediately after Auburn had cut the lead to 7 points won’t be there in those big emotionally pack arenas and domes. Mark it down. A veteran seasoned team is going to take them out of the tournament. When it’s March Madness I’ll take experience/talent over talent any time.

You cant point out UKs free throws. Our entire offense is run down hill and we still get called for laughable fouls on a regular basis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT