ADVERTISEMENT

Dry aged steaks in Louisville

Its dry and well aged if you have the money.

images

Can someone clue me into the appeal of these and what the aging process does? I was outside a steakhouse at the Westgate and they had the dry steaks on display through a window and they looked anything but tasty.

Here's this one but it might be a little to dry for you. It was on the side of the road in the Sudan.
5534313008_9350430034.jpg

Can someone clue me into the appeal of these and what the aging process does? I was outside a steakhouse at the Westgate and they had the dry steaks on display through a window and they looked anything but tasty.
You're not going to be eating the parts you can see.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
If you don't know then you don't need to.

Dry ageing takes moisture out of the meat that has little flavor. What is left behind is beef that has more concentrated meat/fat flavor and is more tender.

"Dry aging works by exposing the naked beef to a carefully controlled environment with precise temperature and humidity levels. In addition to an increase in tenderness, the flavor of the beef is altered during this process from a combination of bacteria, enzyme breakdown and oxidation (yup, the same process we try to stop in our own bodies by consuming antioxidant-rich foods!). There’s also a theory that the water loss concentrates the flavor, too. The conditions necessary for dry aging require expensive refrigeration equipment, plus the significant moisture loss results in reduced saleable yield of product. Meaning: it shrinks a helluva lot, so there’s less of it to sell, and whatever is left becomes more expensive per pound."....

https://jesspryles.com/dry-aging/

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT