ADVERTISEMENT

Dribble Drive

BBBLazing

Senior
Dec 30, 2009
I saw someone post a little while ago how one of our recruits would fit into Cal's "dribble drive" offense. I'm not sure Cal runs a "dribble drive" offense. Since he has been here, he is heavy on the 5s and loves the low post game. I know he encourages his guards to get to the rim, but really, our offense in big games was big KAT in the post. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by BBBLazing:
I saw someone post a little while ago how one of our recruits would fit into Cal's "dribble drive" offense. I'm not sure Cal runs a "dribble drive" offense. Since he has been here, he is heavy on the 5s and loves the low post game. I know he encourages his guards to get to the rim, but really, our offense in big games was big KAT in the post. Am I missing something?
I think Cal is just playing to his personnel, it would have been silly to have played a DD offense this past season with all the size that he had. Plus it's not the easiest offense to teach to real freshmen every year. At Memphis he was successful with it but had experience along with some talented youth.

Last two years it's been more of a slow it down, wait till 7 seconds are left, drive into traffic and get the ball stripped or throw up a prayer, hoping to get a foul called. In fact, i have not seen an offensive scheme from Cal in 2 years. Hopefully that will change this year.

Originally posted by KyFaninNC:
Last two years it's been more of a slow it down, wait till 7 seconds are left, drive into traffic and get the ball stripped or throw up a prayer, hoping to get a foul called. In fact, i have not seen an offensive scheme from Cal in 2 years. Hopefully that will change this year.
This is just stupid. They were not #5 in offensive efficiency by doing just that.

I really question the intelligence of some of our fans.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

This is just stupid. They were not #5 in offensive efficiency by doing just that.

Question all you want. Do you know what his offensive scheme was this year?

UK stats:

Field goal% rank 38

asists pergame- not in top 50

points scored-rank 14

scoring offense rank-29

scoring margin rank- 1

All the "dribble drive" talk is largely just meaningless marketing rhetoric, truth is the version of that offense that Cal was known for at Memphis has NEVER really been used at UK. Cal changed it his first year here so that Demarcus Cousins could get more post opportunities and more touches, and he's never really gone back to it.

I'm not concerned about our offense, as Cal changes it as he needs to. However, I wish he would treat our defense in the same manner. This switching needs to be the exception, and not the rule. By switching, a good opposing coach can create mismatches, ala Bo Ryan with Devin Booker.

The Dribble Drive requires players who can dribble, pass, and hit short shots. Calipari may be enamored of that offense but he has consistently recruited players who don't have those skills in abundance. He recruits bears. Dancing bears, usually, but the offense requires tightrope walkers and jugglers. (To beat the circus imagery to death.)

We have no real offensive scheme or any real plays.

I got a real kick out of that poster about mid-year who tried to maintain that Cal ran X number of unique plays each half. I think his number was somewhere around 15 or so. It was hilarious.

It's now the "dribble 30 seconds, drive into traffic, & throw something up" offense.

Originally posted by UK90:

All the "dribble drive" talk is largely just meaningless marketing rhetoric, truth is the version of that offense that Cal was known for at Memphis has NEVER really been used at UK. Cal changed it his first year here so that Demarcus Cousins could get more post opportunities and more touches, and he's never really gone back to it.
The Wall team ran quite a bit of dribble drive. I have some practice notes from early that year; all they worked on was the DDMO.

After that season Cal has used a lot of the same stuff most of the country is using. The most effective I've seen was probably late in the Knight/Harrellson year, when we pick-and-rolled teams to death. But if you have a point guard like Knight who can shoot the ball then you can run the pick-and-roll effectively. Taurean Green on line one.

Folks on this board complain about the offense's simplicity, but the straight line-drive is phenomenally difficult to guard in this game. The drive-and-get-fouled is the single most crucial play in the sport.

I think Cal's offenses to tend be weaker when they're more predictable. As Towns came on this year the offense was more efficient but oddly less effective. The three-point shot needs to be a part of any offense, but those shots too begin with the dribble drive.

This post was edited on 4/20 8:47 AM by Joneslab

Originally posted by 3rex:
It's now the "dribble 30 seconds, drive into traffic, & throw something up" offense.
what makes you more mad....

the fact that this is the offense or that it actually works?

Originally posted by know1:
We have no real offensive scheme or any real plays.

I got a real kick out of that poster about mid-year who tried to maintain that Cal ran X number of unique plays each half. I think his number was somewhere around 15 or so. It was hilarious.
That poster was correct. Kentucky ran a lot of interesting stuff even in the Wisconsin game. We were running some side pick-and-roll action--probably because we'd had to practice guarding it--quite a bit in that game that I hadn't seen all year.

Because Towns became such a factor the offense most of the time was really stripped down. We just essentially tried to feed it in there. I think the fact that it worked so well in the ND game ended up being a blessing and a curse; he won that game for us but I think we were too intent to try and force it down to him in the Wisconsin game.

Generally this year we saw a lot of different actions. The most interesting thing they did--and should've done it more--was the high/low game where they slid Trey Lyles to the block. We would do that early in games a lot and then go away from it. I think if he hadn't been so godawful against Notre Dame we might've gone to him more.

The most disastrous thing Calipari did in terms of the halfcourt offense this year was mess with Booker. I think he wanted Booker to be more of a threat to drive the ball, and it threw him out of the amazing rhythm he'd been in early. As soon as Cal started to urge Booker to play more off the dribble he went into that shooting slump. In the middle of the year we were running entire halfcourt sets to spring him. That went away, Towns started to be the main focus, and I think the team's growth stagnated.

we could spread teams out further than what notre dame did. ulis, briscoe and possibly newman can all get by their primary defender. we run dribble hand offs and high screen and rolls at any point in the shot clock and should be able to get a lot isolations and mismatches with the ball moving to the basket, with skal rolling and with diallo or poythress or both looming on the base line. or lee.

there's no way we get as many offensive rebounds as last year. however the ones we do get we will have a lot of dunks and ones tip ins and stuff like that. we will lose some rebounds for not having 6-5 guards, but really not just saying this, we could be a great defensive rebounding team. our guys are quick across the board. if we get diallo we'd have some shot blocking and some muscle below the rim. i just don't see teams getting so many long rebounds against us with our quickness. if the ball gets tipped we will have a huge advantage imo. the longer the ball is in the air the better.

poythress, lee, ulis, hawkins are ALL defensive stoppers. how many times did lee play like 6 minutes and get 4 rebounds. he's actually very effective statistically. very. we add another big to go with poy and skal and it's going to be a strong group.

Originally posted by BostonCat2001:

well...I stopped getting "mad" over a basketball game about 20 years ago, so there's that...

Beyond that, it is a bit boring and unimaginative. But, yeah, it's actually worked for 1 championship. No question about that.

Originally posted by BostonCat2001:

well...I stopped getting "mad" over a basketball game about 20 years ago, so there's that...

Beyond that, it is a bit boring and unimaginative. But, yeah, it's actually worked for 1 championship. No question about that.
Second that in BOLD. When it comes to final fours, it has NOT worked more times than it has worked,especially last two years. Got to start coaching to win instead of coaching NOT to lose. Cal said himself after the 2012 NC win against KU that " I pulled the plug a little too soon".. Went from a 20 point lead to a single digit lead by pulling the guys back,and stopped attacking.

Originally posted by UKWildcats#8:

Question all you want. Do you know what his offensive scheme was this year?
Two distinct ones that I saw. When Ulis was in the game it appeared to be more of a motion offense with multiple screens being set off ball, and the goal was enter the ball into the post and work inside out.

When Harrison was running it, it was largely pick and roll at the top of the key and creating from that.

It's one reason I preferred the offense much better with Ulis in the game because I felt we were better on offense with the first style, and that latter tended to get stagnant.

Well this "wait 30 seconds, throw a prayer" led us to a 38-1 record.
Some here are negative nancies no matter what the topic is...

Originally posted by UK Widget:

No, what led us to 38-1 is that we had more elite athletes than anyone else.

Originally posted by Chuckinden:

Originally posted by UK Widget:

No, what led us to 38-1 is that we had more elite athletes than anyone else.
^ Rack

Yep, we overwhelmingly out talented, by far everyone in the SEC, as well as the majority of our preseason schedule. We only had a few potential losses, no matter what offense we played.

In regards to what you said about booker, I think that may have applied to wiltjer too. Seems like kyle was a much better shooter before cal started wanting him to drive to the basket?

Until the final collapse against Wisconsin we had like 4 turnovers and were shooting almost 60%.

That's efficiency. I think that's ironically one of the issues. No coincidence when we've gone out of the tournament under Cal we've gone out against teams like Wisconsin, UCONN, and West Virginia: physical teams who play very slow (at least that WVU team did), take care of the ball, and can keep us off the glass.

If there's an issue with Cal's offensive methodology it's that he, like a lot of other coaches, wants to script things too much. Tends to overcoach especially as the game comes down to the end. You can script against these kinds of teams that run and are loose; very hard to script games well against teams that are themselves scripted and plodding in the halfcourt.

Originally posted by Joneslab:
Until the final collapse against Wisconsin we had like 4 turnovers and were shooting almost 60%.

That's efficiency. I think that's ironically one of the issues. No coincidence when we've gone out of the tournament under Cal we've gone out against teams like Wisconsin, UCONN, and West Virginia: physical teams who play very slow (at least that WVU team did), take care of the ball, and can keep us off the glass.

If there's an issue with Cal's offensive methodology it's that he, like a lot of other coaches, wants to script things too much. Tends to overcoach especially as the game comes down to the end. You can script against these kinds of teams that run and are loose; very hard to script games well against teams that are themselves scripted and plodding in the halfcourt.
were those three teams similar?

2012 ran the DDMO.

Teague or MKG penetrated, kicked to Lamb, Miller, Jones, or Wiltjer for perimeter shots or got the ball on the rim for easy putbacks for Davis, Jones, or MKG, or they threw the lob.

That is the DDMO. Clear the lane, get your guards into the teeth of the defense and force the defense to decide what to take away. Do you stay home on shooters? Do you sag? Do you slide your bigs over to help and risk the lob? Do you stay man to man and hope your guards can stop penetration?

We rarely posted up a big that year. AD took the fourth most shot attempts and was our leading scorer because he mainly shot putbacks and dunked lobs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT