ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Deener acknowledging Jurich bullied their radio station

I can't blame the media for not reporting the bad that went on at Louisville. At first I thought they were to blame. After reading what Deener and others have said they were being threatened. If they went against Jurich they would have lost their job and possibly their life. They were looking at loosing their job and probably not being able to find another because Jurich would have made sure of that. They would have been homeless and living on the street.
I think the disconnect with the media in general is due to public perception that the media was supposed to be our (the publics) watchdogs... Many of us grew up believing that and it's my opinion the internet has cast a skeptical shadow over the media industry as a whole (deserved OMHO).

It's just a job and when you got a job you answer to The Man. All of us have to do things we don't believe in, and perhaps think wrong because that's the nature of working for someone. You do what your told and if you don't like it go somewhere else... Maybe Deener gets a pass? But think about how many in that industry here in Louisville must have been feasting on shiz sandwiches?.. Never a discouraging word... Plenty of nut hangers here in Louisville that didn't need a push to turn a blind eye.

Listen, low level media types? I get it to an extent. You don't make much, and the corruption boys probably pay you to push their message.

Guess what? That still makes you part of the corruption. You don't get an out there. Pick another profession if you think you can't do your job, which is to report the facts to the public period. Go teach 3rd grade and avoid tough decisions. The media has a purpose, and you are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Most media in Louisville chose to cover their own ass and mislead and cover for corruption that has effected the entire city and state.

I don't care if they make 10 bucks an hour. They failed. Like they always do.

What will hit home with me? We had two rogue assistants that caused all of the "NCAA issues". Quite frankly, we are getting hosed by the NCAA for some hookers that cost less than $10K and by and Adidas sting in which the FBI has cleared us and Brian Bowen. If it weren't for the overreaction of our current board, Bowen would be playing right now as he was cleared of any wrong doing. Look at UNC. Their cheating is rampant and off of the charts yet they got nothing. Sorry, but we are getting screwed plain and simple.

Someone else mentioned you being a UK fan doing a troll job but was skeptical until this piece.

Blah blah blah. You’re upset and butthurt that UL is now known as the most corrupt athletic department in the country.

It’s frowned upon to cheat , pay recruits , provide prostitutes for underage children , players and fathers , use university funds to pay for mistresses abortion... so on and so forth.

This is what happens when your mid level commuter school by the Ohio River gets caught.

The ONLY Div-1 basketball team in history to have a title VACATED

I know it sucks as a fan- but facts are facts. You cheated (rampantly and for years) and got caught. Nothing you say will change that and it should tell you something that media, NCAA journalists , FBI and even ESPN think you’re program is repugnant . You and the 14 posters on your all’s board are the only ones who seem to think you did nothing wrong.

Merry Christmas! :)

It's really 7 as I am convinced they each have two accounts to support each others statements.

Where you been man?! You waited this long to come back here?? So many things have happened!

So who setup the payment? I'm dying to know, since Pitino didn't know anything about it.
Ummm, have you read any of the details? Jordan Fair was the one who was setting all of this up with Adidas. Look, I am not completely absolving Rick on this. He should have done a better job at hiring his assistants especially after he got screwed over by Andre. That said, he obviously knew nothing about this nor could he have. Fair set this up and he was promptly let go. Rick and Tom took the fall for something out of their control because a board full of UK fans wanted them gone. This board and administration will not last for doing what they've done and I think you are already seeing that at YUM as fans are protesting by not showing up.

Time for this.....

BANHAMMER.png

Ummm, have you read any of the details? Jordan Fair was the one who was setting all of this up with Adidas. Look, I am not completely absolving Rick on this. He should have done a better job at hiring his assistants especially after he got screwed over by Andre. That said, he obviously knew nothing about this nor could he have. Fair set this up and he was promptly let go. Rick and Tom took the fall for something out of their control because a board full of UK fans wanted them gone. This board and administration will not last for doing what they've done and I think you are already seeing that at YUM as fans are protesting by not showing up.
Just how stupid are you ? you must be an absolute moron for even thinking about making this kind of argument lol !! I mean really dude grow up and STFU !!

In reality, the type of media that should never have accepted this behavior would be the Courier Journal and all 4 local television news stations. The willingness to report in spite of the howls and threats from Jurich and his minions is what those type of media are supposed to do. They did everything they could to avoid this instead. Hell, several of the TV GMs like Bill Lamb and that douche at WAVE still act like Jurich was God's gift to the city.

It isn't truly the fault of media guys like Deener, Valvano, etc. Those guys are only as powerful as their ability to stay on the air.

Also, had those types of radio and print media complained about being "bullied", the blindly loyal fans would have mocked them and called them idiotic things like "snowflake" due to their perceived crying.

Their bosses are the ones that were cowards. They should have told their people to speak and report the truth and done everything in their power to shield them from the threats and attacks.

I can't blame the media for not reporting the bad that went on at Louisville. At first I thought they were to blame. After reading what Deener and others have said they were being threatened. If they went against Jurich they would have lost their job and possibly their life. They were looking at loosing their job and probably not being able to find another because Jurich would have made sure of that. They would have been homeless and living on the street.
This is where I am, too. I'm not calling anyone a coward who did what they had to do to maintain income to support a family. The security of my income and my family come WAY before my career integrity or loyalty to any institution, lol.

Reactions: kat57
If you're going to choose journalism as a career, you should be prepared to nut up and do your job. If you can't handle the pressure that comes with the territory, maybe consider a different career.

If you're going to choose journalism as a career, you should be prepared to nut up and do your job. If you can't handle the pressure that comes with the territory, maybe consider a different career.
Hiya Lou :)

Gonna have to disagree a bit on this one.
This is one of those situations where I can see the pressure that was brought kept them quiet. It’s hard to break into the business as it is; to go against the powers that be could be professional suicide. I’m sure that most of these folks, when working towards their degrees had the best of intentions. Unfortunately, reality sets in...it’s an ugly business. These folks probably have families to support, plus they aren’t trained for anything else. They can be stuck; and going against the grain could mean loss of job and being blackballed later

Hiya Lou :)

Gonna have to disagree a bit on this one.
This is one of those situations where I can see the pressure that was brought kept them quiet. It’s hard to break into the business as it is; to go against the powers that be could be professional suicide. I’m sure that most of these folks, when working towards their degrees had the best of intentions. Unfortunately, reality sets in...it’s an ugly business. These folks probably have families to support, plus they aren’t trained for anything else. They can be stuck; and going against the grain could mean loss of job and being blackballed later
Hey there...long time no chat! :)

Listen, I completely understand the fear most of us have when it comes to our livelihoods. We depend on our jobs to support our lifestyles...our families depend on us to provide. There are inherent risks in many career choices. Some end up in tougher positions than others...are faced with more difficult ethical decisions. It takes a very strong person to go against powerful forces to do "the right thing", no doubt. If I woke up in their shoes and saw how it was going to be and didn't think I had the stomach..or strength...for it, I would be earnestly looking for something else...before it was too late.

Cheers!

It's funny I actually heard Deener say "I know who signs my checks" when he was on UL radio bashing UK. Maybe he was pushed into that stance?

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Listen, low level media types? I get it to an extent. You don't make much, and the corruption boys probably pay you to push their message.

Guess what? That still makes you part of the corruption. You don't get an out there. Pick another profession if you think you can't do your job, which is to report the facts to the public period. Go teach 3rd grade and avoid tough decisions. The media has a purpose, and you are either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Most media in Louisville chose to cover their own ass and mislead and cover for corruption that has effected the entire city and state.

I don't care if they make 10 bucks an hour. They failed. Like they always do.

I blame the front line people's (on-air talent, reporters, etc.) boss.

I've worked for a few media companies in the past and executives freak the f out and overreact if someone threatens to pull advertising.

I quit my very first reporting job out of college because of something similar but on a smaller level. I received a tip from a reader that one of the most prominent businessmen in the town I was covering was involved in some shady land deals he brokered while a sitting member of the county's economic development board. I dug up dirt for three months - deeds, contracts, interviews with more than 10 sources, ect. - and told my editor what I had and that I was going to call the guy for his side. My editor laughed awkwardly and said, "He's our biggest advertiser. And he'll pull it all. We can't run this. Do. Not. Call. Him. I appreciate your effort." I gave my 2-week right there and left for another low-paying, high-stress job. Lol.

I've also worked at places that write stories to appease advertisers or squash negative stories if they impacted an advertiser. It's sickening, but just like with politics, money controls media.

Deener, like most of Louisville local media are cowards who are piling on. Nobody said a thing for years, including Deener.

Where were they when it mattered?

And for the UL/Jurich huggers still worshiping at his alter.... you have no credibility.
I don’t agree with this. It’s easy for you to say that. It’s not your job and livelihood on the line. I mean people lost their jobs over this guy, had to move to other cities or leave their industry. If it meant leaving town or finding another job out of sports radio, I’m not sure I would say anything either.

This is nothing more than a smear campaign just like the Board of Trustees. Face it, Deener is a huge UK fan and always has been. His son is named after Cawood Ledford God's sake. Nothing about that man supports or supported UofL. If and when a true Cards fan such as Howie Lindsey starts saying this stuff, I may start to believe it. For now a UK talk show host and a UK board telling me this stuff doesn't hit home with me. They are just trying to tarnish Tom's legacy and ensure he doesn't return. It's sad really.

Was this tongue in cheek? I hope so, but not sure. This is the exact kind of nonsense the UL fanbase is saying. they simply refuse to believe the truth.

This is nothing more than a smear campaign just like the Board of Trustees. Face it, Deener is a huge UK fan and always has been. His son is named after Cawood Ledford God's sake. Nothing about that man supports or supported UofL. If and when a true Cards fan such as Howie Lindsey starts saying this stuff, I may start to believe it. For now a UK talk show host and a UK board telling me this stuff doesn't hit home with me. They are just trying to tarnish Tom's legacy and ensure he doesn't return. It's sad really.
So it's a cover up about covering up

Last edited:
What will hit home with me? We had two rogue assistants that caused all of the "NCAA issues". Quite frankly, we are getting hosed by the NCAA for some hookers that cost less than $10K and by and Adidas sting in which the FBI has cleared us and Brian Bowen. If it weren't for the overreaction of our current board, Bowen would be playing right now as he was cleared of any wrong doing. Look at UNC. Their cheating is rampant and off of the charts yet they got nothing. Sorry, but we are getting screwed plain and simple.
1 rogue is a correct statement 2 rogues is a conspiracy .

The Schools of Journalism in our universities do not teach students to search for the truth in reporting. They train them to do the opposite. Look at all of our major newspapers, TV news outlets and you will see a trend. Truth does not matter. Power and manipulation of the masses is where it is in this society.

I don’t agree with this. It’s easy for you to say that. It’s not your job and livelihood on the line. I mean people lost their jobs over this guy, had to move to other cities or leave their industry. If it meant leaving town or finding another job out of sports radio, I’m not sure I would say anything either.
That attitude is exactly what gave Jurich the power to run people off in the first place, they gave him the power to be their dictator. They created their own nightmare and share a lot of responsibility for that getting out of control.

Had they stood their ground at the beginning then Jurich wouldn’t have been so powerful, he pushed to see how far he could take it and discovered he could own the media. Owning the media should never happen, look at all the corruption that UL is in because a simple athletic director used the Louisville media like he was Joseph Goebbels.

I blame the front line people's (on-air talent, reporters, etc.) boss.

I've worked for a few media companies in the past and executives freak the f out and overreact if someone threatens to pull advertising.

I quit my very first reporting job out of college because of something similar but on a smaller level. I received a tip from a reader that one of the most prominent businessmen in the town I was covering was involved in some shady land deals he brokered while a sitting member of the county's economic development board. I dug up dirt for three months - deeds, contracts, interviews with more than 10 sources, ect. - and told my editor what I had and that I was going to call the guy for his side. My editor laughed awkwardly and said, "He's our biggest advertiser. And he'll pull it all. We can't run this. Do. Not. Call. Him. I appreciate your effort." I gave my 2-week right there and left for another low-paying, high-stress job. Lol.

I've also worked at places that write stories to appease advertisers or squash negative stories if they impacted an advertiser. It's sickening, but just like with politics, money controls media.

That's called integrity. You weren't allowed your journalistic duty and left.

The media has one of the most important jobs in the state and nation. The fact that the Louisville media turned away from the truth and instead helped push corruption is worse than a crooked politician. The reason Jurich was so powerful was because they allowed him to be.

And again, this is why the media has an approval rating below congress. They simply refuse to demand journalistic integrity, they're just a third wing of whatever agenda they're pushing.

Louisville media could put "Trump is awesome" as their headline for tomorrow and I wouldn't believe them. That's pretty bad considering I like him.

That attitude is exactly what gave Jurich the power to run people off in the first place, they gave him the power to be their dictator. They created their own nightmare and share a lot of responsibility for that getting out of control.

Had they stood their ground at the beginning then Jurich wouldn’t have been so powerful, he pushed to see how far he could take it and discovered he could own the media. Owning the media should never happen, look at all the corruption that UL is in because a simple athletic director used the Louisville media like he was Joseph Goebbels.
Most of the bullying was towards people in radio. They aren’t journalists, they are talking heads. They have to fill content and rely on a U of L for coach interviews, fan calls, games, etc. It’s not like they were hiding anything they were just talking friendly to get their $’s. If I told you to say nice things about someone or you were going to lose your job and be forced to move to a new city, 9 times out 10 your going to start talking nicely.

On top of that Drew Deener as a U of L fan left from under Jurich thumb and started a radio network that covered both programs fairly.

Most of the bullying was towards people in radio. They aren’t journalists, they are talking heads. They have to fill content and rely on a U of L for coach interviews, fan calls, games, etc. It’s not like they were hiding anything they were just talking friendly to get their $’s. If I told you to say nice things about someone or you were going to lose your job and be forced to move to a new city, 9 times out 10 your going to start talking nicely.

On top of that Drew Deener as a U of L fan left from under Jurich thumb and started a radio network that covered both programs fairly.
So you’re just there to get a check? You also can’t hide behind most were in radio to shield those who were not. They have a responsibility to expose corruption, not help facilitate it by blocking for it. What if everybody would accept corruption from influential people for the sake of a paycheck, this is not Gotham. Especially those most tasked with rooting out corruption, should we have let watergate happen if Nixon could have pressured those reporting on it? Should they back off in fear of payday? I’m not equate the two in severity either, there are countless examples to use.

This is not Mexico or South America where money or power routinely use media as a propaganda machine. America is supposed to be different and people from yesteryear wouldn’t help crime out but I guess today’s values is about getting that pay as if that one job alone trumps all else. If anybody will roll over for a lowly Athletic director then they have no business in media anyway. That job should be for people with a backbone instead of soft sheep.

For instance Matt Jones (radio) doesn’t sing all of UK’s praises and Mitch has asked him to be more friendly towards UK. If you don’t buy that then look no further than the heral leader. They are not only hostile towards UK but antagonistic, I’m sure UK has talked to them about their stance but they didn’t cower for payday.

All of UL media created an environment that enabled and assisted corruption, they are not exonerated by crying after the fact. Jurich could not pull this off without their submission, they are as much to blame as anyone for this mess. Saying it was just radio and fear of losing the only paycheck in existence is not a good excuse to allow what they did. Even the radio guys could have anonymously told reporters what was happening, they either didn’t or it wasn’t reported on.

So you’re just there to get a check? You also can’t hide behind most were in radio to shield those who were not. They have a responsibility to expose corruption, not help facilitate it by blocking for it. What if everybody would accept corruption from influential people for the sake of a paycheck, this is not Gotham. Especially those most tasked with rooting out corruption, should we have let watergate happen if Nixon could have pressured those reporting on it? Should they back off in fear of payday? I’m not equate the two in severity either, there are countless examples to use.

This is not Mexico or South America where money or power routinely use media as a propaganda machine. America is supposed to be different and people from yesteryear wouldn’t help crime out but I guess today’s values is about getting that pay as if that one job alone trumps all else. If anybody will roll over for a lowly Athletic director then they have no business in media anyway. That job should be for people with a backbone instead of soft sheep.

For instance Matt Jones (radio) doesn’t sing all of UK’s praises and Mitch has asked him to be more friendly towards UK. If you don’t buy that then look no further than the heral leader. They are not only hostile towards UK but antagonistic, I’m sure UK has talked to them about their stance but they didn’t cower for payday.

All of UL media created an environment that enabled and assisted corruption, they are not exonerated by crying after the fact. Jurich could not pull this off without their submission, they are as much to blame as anyone for this mess. Saying it was just radio and fear of losing the only paycheck in existence is not a good excuse to allow what they did. Even the radio guys could have anonymously told reporters what was happening, they either didn’t or it wasn’t reported on.
I don’t think anyone knew they were stealing money except for them. I think most of these folks were very critical of the basketball stuff going on and thought Rick should have been fired for the hookers. Reporting on being bullied would have the same effect, you lose sponsors and lose your job.

Quit acting like they were covering up corruption. No one knew about the corruption till Ramsey was fired. It was a well kept secret.

Quit acting like they were covering up corruption. No one knew about the corruption till Ramsey was fired. It was a well kept secret.
You think so? The front page Courier Journal article showing that Ramsey made 2.5 times the compensation of the average ACC President, at a time when Louisville academically was ranked dead last - so far in last place it couldn't even see who was in second to last. That wasn't a hint?

If you don’t buy that then look no further than the heral leader. They are not only hostile towards UK but antagonistic, I’m sure UK has talked to them about their stance but they didn’t cower for payday.

This should be “end thread” right here

And as much of an ass Tipton is...that shows the difference in the UK and U6 athletic department

I don’t think anyone knew they were stealing money except for them. I think most of these folks were very critical of the basketball stuff going on and thought Rick should have been fired for the hookers. Reporting on being bullied would have the same effect, you lose sponsors and lose your job.

The bloodbath of a post I put on you should have ended it but I knew a save face would ultimately spring up. You don’t know what they knew, so stop acting like you do. What we do know is how they respond to things they did know, which is absolute silence.

Let’s go ahead and extrapolate from that factual and known data to say they would have kowtowed whatever they may not have known. The only data we have supports my opinion, there is nothing supporting anything you post other than you trying to post it into existence. Obviously you’re using how you would react to bullying and casting that as an excuse for them. Some people stand up, so what you do is not all inclusive to everyone.

Out of all the scandalous things they did know about like Pitino sex scandal and ultimately the pay for play, the Louisville media never called for the firing of Jurich. They made excuses and played the company line until it was beyond obvious it wouldn’t work out then they mildly acted outraged. They were a big part of the problem, you can’t have this amount of corruption with media assistance. But hey, keep clinging onto your poor argument because you don’t want to lose on the internet.

Last edited:
The bloodbath of a post I put on you should have ended it but I knew a save face would ultimately spring up. You don’t know what they knew, so stop acting like you do. What we do know is how they respond to things they did know, which is absolute silence.

Let’s go ahead and extrapolate from that factual and known data to say they would have kowtowed whatever they may not have known. The only data we have supports my opinion, there is nothing supporting anything you post other than you trying to post it into existence. Obviously you’re using how you would react to bullying and casting that as an excuse for them. Some people stand up, so what you do is not all inclusive to everyone.

Out of all the scandalous things they did know about like Pitino sex scandal and ultimately the pay for play, the Louisville media never called for the firing of Jurich. They made excuses and played the company line until it was beyond obvious it wouldn’t work out then they mildly acted outraged. They were a big part of the problem, you can’t have this amount of corruption with media assistance. But hey, keep clinging onto your poor argument because you don’t want to lose on the internet.
What he said!

ADVERTISEMENT