ADVERTISEMENT

Doug the Blue Coat Fired

If a cashier in a retail store or the person at the front desk of a hotel were to insult a paying customer then, more likely than not, they’re going to be fired. Regardless of their time of service and especially if there are 10 other people who’ve already been lined up begging for that person’s job.

It simply should not be a surprise he was “fired” nor should it cause this much outrage.
This is a position of volunteer not a paid position that relies on customer service either. When the people you flipped off don’t want you fired, you shouldn’t be.

Reactions: delk4three
You get into animal abuse. Clearly I was referencing the usher flipping off someone and you jump to animal abuse.
giphy.gif

He's a grown man with a job to do, voluntary or paid. He represents the University and the gesture was shown on National Television. The Blue Coat is not a student and should have not been acting like one. He is considered an usher. Do we all make mistakes? Yes, but there has to be consequences for those mistakes. The University is not in the wrong.

So Cal basically gives the entire UK fanbase, and also Mitch, the middle finger on a daily basis ever since signing the lifetime contract.

But this guy gets fired?

So, my take is that people are so mad at Cal and Mitch that they will now use anything to bash them? This story has gone parabolic on this site and yet it is really a much ado about nothing story. All the guy lost was a volunteer position! I've fired lots of volunteers. This is not uncommon by any means.

The only reason this is getting any attention is because MJ is upset at Cal and Mitch because he isn't getting the same level of access to the program.

Reinvented history is always fascinating. As a previous poser noted, Rupp Arena has always been a pretty high class, button down atmosphere compared to most college basketball environments-in large part because season tickets have been so hard to get, that they stay in the hands of whatever passes for Lexington's upper crust. I can't remember a time when a blue coat could get caught on film, flipping the bird, and not face serious consequences.

the guy in question is a great, down to earth guy, and loves Kentucky sports with a passion. He's extremely proud of being a blue coat. I wouldn't ever sit in judgement of him. If i were king of UK sports, I would think maybe a stern warning and suspending him for the rest of the season might be appropriate. On the other hand, I'm not surprised it unfolded the way it did.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Reinvented history is always fascinating. As a previous poser noted, Rupp Arena has always been a pretty high class, button down atmosphere compared to most college basketball environments-in large part because season tickets have been so hard to get, that they stay in the hands of whatever passes for Lexington's upper crust. I can't remember a time when a blue coat could get caught on film, flipping the bird, and not face serious consequences.

the guy in question is a great, down to earth guy, and loves Kentucky sports with a passion. He's extremely proud of being a blue coat. I wouldn't ever sit in judgement of him. If i were king of UK sports, I would think maybe a stern warning and suspending him for the rest of the season might be appropriate. On the other hand, I'm not surprised it unfolded the way it did.
Get Doug season tickets and he can be our new dancing guy. Can do some routine every game that commences with him flipping the bird. That would be as entertaining as most games at Rupp these days.

Get Doug season tickets and he can be our new dancing guy. Can do some routine every game that commences with him flipping the bird. That would be as entertaining as most games at Rupp these days.
I'm not sure that's how it will all play out, but I do have to admit, I actually laughed out loud on that one! Well played!

Reactions: cats2010
"Success is the best builder of character". -- Coach Rupp

UK 108 - Florida 41, so apparently not.

FoT0Rc-XEA8fmjy

Geez that’s pretty significant. Again players and coaches have done worse and got suspended far less.

I'm gonna offend you and others but comparing some volunteer guy at the arena to the more important players and coaches is purely apples to oranges. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what they do but the faux outrage over this incident has been a bit over the top IMO.

Cal is on verge of attacking a ref I think. They gonna need 5 people to hold him back before long. Maybe he will give one of them the middle finger and that will at least give us a year break from him (assuming they would give him same penalty as Doug 😉😉).

ADVERTISEMENT