ADVERTISEMENT

Dook Vitale extended thru 2021

me too.

As for the other two charges in this thread:

1. "He praises every coach out there." yes and no. True, he will hardly ever criticize a coach, and maybe he doesn't praise Cal as much as he does K. But K has 5 titles, over a thousand wins and is by consensus either the greatest or second greatest college coach of all time. He is a reliable defender of John Calipari, and there aren't many of those, and he is generally praising of Kentucky basketball (although, believe it or not we have some zealots that at times, depending, might make that difficult).

2. "He criticized us heavily when Tubby left." True, but I cut him slack on this because it's entirely consistent with his character. Anyone who knows his story knows how devastated he was when the Pistons fired him. You couple that with the fact that coaches always defend coaches, and you understand Vitale is going to side with a fired coach 999 times out of a 1000. It's instinctive, he does it without thinking, I understand it, so I don't worry with it.....

I don’t care for his idolizing Knight! I also didn’t care for the way he defended Pitino, when his hands were so dirty. He would excuse away anything either of these two do.

I still love listening to him. You take the good with the bad.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Whether you like him or hate him, I've come accustomed to him being apart of college basketball every season and this is not currently on my list of things to be pissed about.

Another ESPN episode in......Series of Unfortunate Events.
DV/ESPN have jumped the shark..... We all know DV should retire. But DV and ESPN don't that....

I have grown tired of him the last few years but DV went off the tracks when taking up for Pitino when it blatantly clear Pitino was guilty. Then when the Sean Miller/Arizona stuff came out, he threw Miller and Zona under the bus. Cant have it both ways and play favorites.

I think he’s well past his prime as an analyst, but he heaps praise on Kentucky and Cal every year. Don’t understand the Vitale-loathing expressed by some UK fans.

There are few reasons to watch regular season cbb anyway. If Dickie V is announcing, I'm more compelled to watch a meaningless game than if he is not. He IS cbb's greatest spokesman and supporter.

Dick may be past his prime...and love Duke....but I still like him.

He does so much good as an ambassador for the college game. Always supports coaches/players (even to a fault). His work with charities, most notably the V Foundation, has helped so many people.

Great guy...don't like him on UK games as much...but can't say it won't be sad the day he is gone from ESPN.

ADVERTISEMENT