ADVERTISEMENT

Dook Vitale extended thru 2021

Great. I’m sure K and Dookie V will retire together and join the same retirement home as well

I respect DV for all the money he raises for cancer research through the V foundation. I just don't think he is very good at the basketball analysis part anymore. Keep doing what you do for charity, Dick, I have a mute button!!!!!

I think he’s well past his prime as an analyst, but he heaps praise on Kentucky and Cal every year. Don’t understand the Vitale-loathing expressed by some UK fans.

Totally agree. He praises UK and Cal every chance he gets. Vitale is good for college basketball. A lot better than other guys out there.

Reactions: ORCAT and 65pacecar
I think he’s well past his prime as an analyst, but he heaps praise on Kentucky and Cal every year. Don’t understand the Vitale-loathing expressed by some UK fans.

Vitale heaps praise for every coach out there. The only time I hear him talk down about anything associated with college b-ball is the selection committee but you can’t deny his favoritism for Duke which is far beyond any other school out there and thats been the case for years on end.

I've disliked Vitale ever since he basically called BBN racists for being dissatisfied with the results (or lack of results) that Tubby Smith gave us. But it had nothing to do with race. Tubby wasn't getting the job done... and he didn't get it done at Minnesota, Memphis, or anywhere else after he left UK. That's right, he left UK. UK did not fire him as many in the media believe.

skeleton-santa-claus-singer-video-id455794792

“This game’s gonna be awesome baby!”

Just shows how tone deaf ESPN is. There isn't a more annoying, clueless, off point announcer anywhere.

He's nice guy, I get and believe that. But his time has passed and it's almost unbearable having to listen to him call a game.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
He's one of the great all-time personalities of the game. It's only right that he go out when he wants to go out.

He's obviously not what he used to be, but if you're watching basketball and need the people calling the game to explain it to you, that's your own issue. He's fun. He's one of the voices that fit the moments we remember about the sport.

Someone who just explains how reversing the ball helped beat the zone for an open three doesn't carry the same weight.

Vitale should retire and put all of his efforts toward the V Foundation. He does phenomenal work for several charities and is still a well liked public figure. If he focused solely on that stuff and started letting some new personalities take over college basketball it would be a win/win.

He heaps praise when it means literally nothing. When it counts watch ole pukey change...every time. Some call that opportunistic.

He's one of the great all-time personalities of the game. It's only right that he go out when he wants to go out.

He's obviously not what he used to be, but if you're watching basketball and need the people calling the game to explain it to you, that's your own issue. He's fun. He's one of the voices that fit the moments we remember about the sport.

Someone who just explains how reversing the ball helped beat the zone for an open three doesn't carry the same weight.

For sure. That’s why ESPN always pairs him with a bespectacled radio analyst personality. Vitale is unequivocally included as the “color” commentator.

He’s just OK when actually discussing game strategy and performance of live action. Unfortunately for my ears, he only does that about 20% if the time that he’s on air. The rest is tired stories, rants and bombast that I don’t want to hear.

He seems like a decent guy. But he’s a nightmare as a broadcaster. I’m filled with dread as soon as I find out he’s about to cover a UK game.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
me too.

As for the other two charges in this thread:

1. "He praises every coach out there." yes and no. True, he will hardly ever criticize a coach, and maybe he doesn't praise Cal as much as he does K. But K has 5 titles, over a thousand wins and is by consensus either the greatest or second greatest college coach of all time. He is a reliable defender of John Calipari, and there aren't many of those, and he is generally praising of Kentucky basketball (although, believe it or not we have some zealots that at times, depending, might make that difficult).

2. "He criticized us heavily when Tubby left." True, but I cut him slack on this because it's entirely consistent with his character. Anyone who knows his story knows how devastated he was when the Pistons fired him. You couple that with the fact that coaches always defend coaches, and you understand Vitale is going to side with a fired coach 999 times out of a 1000. It's instinctive, he does it without thinking, I understand it, so I don't worry with it.....

By the way, fully admit he at some point became a caricature of himself. Go find video of him calling a game in the 80s, he's barely recognizable. At some point someone said "Hey, when you do that 'PTPer' stuff, it's good" and before you know it, he's more character than analyst.....

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
DV will most likely not be around that long. Why? I firmly believe that he will get so excited when he sees our team play this coming year that he will have a Major heart attack in his mouth and choke to death. I have a love hate relationship with DV always have always will have. You go DV. Just kidding about the heart attack but not the mouth.

DV will most likely not be around that long. Why? I firmly believe that he will get so excited when he sees our team play this coming year that he will have a Major heart attack in his mouth and choke to death. I have a love hate relationship with DV always have always will have. You go DV. Just kidding about the heart attack but not the mouth.
He's a major Calipari supporter. C'mon man.

I also think Vitale is well past his prime but he was a big boost to college basketball and his enthusiasm for college basketball can't be matched. He probably should retire but I hold no bad ill towards the guy and if he feels he still wants to continue, more power to him. I wish him the best, health wise, and will tolerate his misgivings late in his career. And, yes, I do hate his love of Duke and K as much as others but he still has been great for the game over the years.

He’s just OK when actually discussing game strategy and performance of live action. Unfortunately for my ears, he only does that about 20% if the time that he’s on air. The rest is tired stories, rants and bombast that I don’t want to hear.

He seems like a decent guy. But he’s a nightmare as a broadcaster. I’m filled with dread as soon as I find out he’s about to cover a UK game.

For real? You legitimately are “filled with dread” when you find out he’s about to cover a UK game?

Just shows how tone deaf ESPN is. There isn't a more annoying, clueless, off point announcer anywhere.

He's nice guy, I get and believe that. But his time has passed and it's almost unbearable having to listen to him call a game.
First of all props on the name.
On Vitale he can be annoying with his schtick (uses initials as slang for everything then says the word the initials are supposed to replace anyway - PT Primetimer!) But think he knows basketball pretty well and has kept up pretty well for an old dude. Just needs to back down the hyperbole some but again that's his schtick.

And for those who can't stand to listen to him, don't worry, you can hardly hear him now with his yelling whisper voice and by the time he retires they will have hard of hearing signers in the corner of the screen for him.

For real? You legitimately are “filled with dread” when you find out he’s about to cover a UK game?

Yes, dread. He ruins the broadcast for me. If I wanted to hear the ramblings of a half-senile old codger I’d visit an old folks’ home. Or watch a POTUS press conference. :joy:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT