ADVERTISEMENT

Dook running 5-out motion offense, all three frosh forwards start

Yeah if you can shoot like curry and Thompson

Throw in Durant
Green can hit them
Guess what cousins can hit the 3

He’s all talk. Trying to play like nova but nova could shoot it

I mean damn even with this line up in the nba they would suck. No one shoots with consistency.

If they put up 75 vs Virginia I’ll say they are number 1 team in America

For the avg team throw in a 1-3-1 zone and duke will trouble. Guess k runs Zone so much he forgot college allows it

After seeing how much more skilled he is than I thought, I think Zion will be a top pick and probably has Draymond Green potential.

K needs an overall #1 pick since he messed up Bagley and Okafor, two guys who had been projected at #1 for years before they attended Duke.

Reactions: Mr_GG
Kinda funny
Cause cal has talked positionless players for a while and he’s now recruiting really good shooters. So once again he beat k to it. Except k had to go public with it first lmfao

Kinda funny
Cause cal has talked positionless players for a while and he’s now recruiting really good shooters. So once again he beat k to it. Except k had to go public with it first lmfao

K's most realistic legacy needs to include the following:

Despite almost 40 years of coaching, and after convincing multiple five star all-Americans to return to school, he still only has two #1 picks: Brand and Irving.

Ask anyone who would be the #1 pick in the '14, '15, and '18 draft before those college seasons started, and almost everyone would have answered Parker, Okafor, and Bagley. This is especially true when following these players during their junior and senior high school seasons.

And yet, not a one of them got to the mountain top.

That rat is beyond phony. The best part is that he is doing something he really doesn’t want to. He has no desire to coach young talent and it shows. He throws them in a zone, he will let RJ and Zion run around and do what they want.
The chemistry will suck when those two
Are shooting 20-25 shots a game each and Cam the heartless wonder gets little
Love.
Splinter is trying to sell
That shit as he tries to stick around to delay cal taking over and not having to deal with puke as competition.
I really
Think one of the reasons cal will stay longer than he thought is to drive that spineless rat to his grave, I mean retirement.

Everyone keeps talking about the Duke big 3. Like people have with Quickley(best PG on our roster), they are forgetting the most important piece to winning the National title which is the PG. If Tre Jones(I believe he's more rounded than Tyus) plays even half as good as his brother did his freshmen season they will be a top 5 team the entire season.

BUT, this 2018/19 PUKE team and Tre Jones are NOT going to have a Senior PG (Quinn Cook) as a stabilizing force like Tyus Jones and 2014/15 PUKE team did........Jordan Goldwire as backup PG(???).

The funny thing is they should have run this last year but had to play Bagley/Carter together to keep the Nike bag rolling.

Now the Nike bag brings a roster that won't fit it and he's going to try and run it?

Have fun. Just because your center sucks doesn't mean you run 5-out. It just means your center sucks.

I already can see how the media will react to this. He'll be hailed as a revolutionary if it works. They won't mention the fact that a good percentage of high schools and college programs have been running it for decades. Cal has only mentioned positionless basketball a billion times so it seems fitting K switches to it. Its been hot in the NBA as of late because back to the basket bigs are few and far between. My high school team I coach runs it, we are athletic and can shoot but not a ton of size. It opens up driving lanes and spacing helps get looks from deep. Packline defenses were the toughest if we had an off night shooting. You can run it against zone but we had more success with the traditional offenses against zone. Smart move by K with this team. Just weird he'd marry himself to it. Good coaches adjust based off the personnel they have.

K-Ratits.gif

Bet we'll see Golden State run more 4 out, 1 in with Boogie in the fold.

They now have the weapons to play any style they want. Dominant guards/wings and arguably the best big man in the league.

Not even fair, every other team should be ashamed to give them boogie at 5 million a year.

This is a dribble drive offense.
The variances are either 4-out or 5-out, based on personnel. This is a good move for K, as it really is entirely postionless — and he has some redundancies.
Defensively, I don’t see duke running much zone.

Last edited:
Pulls the other teams defense out and forces the C to defend on the perimeter. Folks like AD, Townes and KD kill it in this offense because they can shoot it from the outside.

Too slow to close out, they stroke it from 3, too fast and they head fake and take it to the hole. My 5th grade team runs this offense. Teaches them to play from what the defense is giving them and adjust.

Not if your C is Bolden or Delaurier.

Very well could be. K’s teacher Knight stressed deception in coaching.​

I bet Ole K can guzzle nearly as well as RMK and does too. You know he's a lush...dude wear's makeup on that nose. If not he'd be Dean Smith without the size...

Maybe it's just me, but seems like there's a difference between the headline - which implies K has fallen head over heals in love with this set and will employ nothing else as long as he lives, til death do us part - versus the actual quote in the story, where he merely says he'll teach this motion as long as he's coaching. Fake news alert!

This is a dribble drive offense.
The variances are either 4-out or 5-out, based on personnel. This is a good move for K, as it really is entirely postionless — and he has some redundancies.
Defensively, I don’t see duke running much zone.
I don’t think it’s much like the dribble drive at all. Honestly it sounds a lot like what they’ve been running the last several years except with less suited personnel. They’ve very often had four guys on the floor who can sink threes, off the top of my head starting in 2015. This year they don’t have anything close to that which is why a lot of us have been saying we don’t see how it is going to work.

Developing freshman is a very difficult and arduous job. It takes tremendous energy, patience, and focus to make them mature enough for the tournament. There probably was a day when Coach K had this energy, but simply no longer. He is a fantastic coach but father time has robbed Him of the energy needed to succeed with one and dones. Defense is the hardest thing to teach on this level, hence K going to the zone. He spends the majority of time developing an offensive scheme which is his forte and depends
on a poor mans Boeheim zone to carry them through.

Bagley was generally projected 2-4 after he announced his reclassification.

"Generally" as in the sites that help your argument?

Bagley was considered to have a Davis-like impact. Your attempt to spin this demeans your credibility.

Reactions: Mr_GG
"Generally" as in the sites that help your argument?

Bagley was considered to have a Davis-like impact. Your attempt to spin this demeans your credibility.

I mean we can compare if you would like? You link all the sites that credit him with Davis like impact and I’ll link all the ones that didn’t have him as the #1 pick.

I don’t think it’s much like the dribble drive at all. Honestly it sounds a lot like what they’ve been running the last several years except with less suited personnel. They’ve very often had four guys on the floor who can sink threes, off the top of my head starting in 2015. This year they don’t have anything close to that which is why a lot of us have been saying we don’t see how it is going to work.

The ddo is a motion offense. It is predicated on spacing the floor with interchangeable players, and attacking driving lines. The motion is in constantly filling the spaces as lanes are attacked. The goal is to either finish the drive or kick out to one of those other “out” players who are moving to fill the spaces.
If neither results, it’s a reset and attack again.

A ddo will generally clear the lane by keeping guy off the blocks - even in a four out. A 5-out will have all 5 guys on the perimeter and interchangeable.

I hadn’t read the column prior to posting, but this section is very much an overly simplified description of the dribble drive motion offense.

“The idea is to rely less on jump shooting and more on finding driving lanes to the basket for higher-percentage shots. At the same time, the spacing creates opportunities for strong shooters to get open shots from behind the 3-point line”.

It will be interesting to see what they run and how.

Last edited:
Lol. Works great with elite shooters. With dook’s roster...we’ll see. Can’t wait to watch Marques Bolden try to channel Draymond.
Yes, this is correct. To make this offense work, you've got to have 5 guys who can make a 3 and force defenses to play them on the perimeter. They have a couple guys like that, but not 5, not even 3 really. Sounds like a gimmick to recruit to me. They will struggle this season using that offense.

The ddo is a motion offense. It is predicated on spacing the floor with interchangeable players, and attacking driving lines. The motion is in constantly filling the spaces as lanes are attacked. The goal is to either finish the drive or kick out to one of those other “out” players who are moving to fill the spaces.
If neither results, it’s a reset and attack again.

A ddo will generally clear the lane by keeping guy off the blocks - even in a four out. A 5-out will have all 5 guys on the perimeter and interchangeable.

I hadn’t read the column prior to posting, but this section is very much an overly simplified description of the dribble drive motion offense.

“The idea is to rely less on jump shooting and more on finding driving lanes to the basket for higher-percentage shots. At the same time, the spacing creates opportunities for strong shooters to get open shots from behind the 3-point line”.

It will be interesting to see what they run and how.
Yeah that sounds exactly like the ddm but nothing like what Golden State does.

The funny thing is they should have run this last year but had to play Bagley/Carter together to keep the Nike bag rolling.

Now the Nike bag brings a roster that won't fit it and he's going to try and run it?

Have fun. Just because your center sucks doesn't mean you run 5-out. It just means your center sucks.
The weird thing about Duke last year is that Bagley was easily their best player, but I think they might have had a better team without him, at least if you replace him with a forward with some shooting ability. Put Knox on that team in his place, and they might have been much scarier at the end of the year. Hell, maybe even with just a non-shooting forward who could rebound and defend at a high level without needing to touch the ball much, ala Amile Jefferson.

The team dynamic of basketball can be like alchemy, and 1+1+1 does not always equal 3.

Not just great shooters, but also great playmakers- as in guys who see the floor really well and make the extra pass. Pre-Durant, Golden State launched into orbit when Draymond Green became a starter and they realized he gave them a second option to initiate their offense. His versatility meant they could ALWAYS find a mismatch.

It's smart for Duke to try this (although honestly, I don't think they have any other choice), but it's very dicey when you're talking about trying it with 19 year olds. The shooting isn't like Golden State, the passing won't be like Golden State, and it's a lot easier for college defenses to just pack it in and dare you to hit shots. To use a college comparison, who is Jalen Brunson, who is Mychal Bridges, and who is Omari Spellman for Duke?

Good luck running a high pick and roll against a zone where all 5 defenders are within 18 feet of the basket.

Spot on post. Just like to say again that the passing GSW display most nights is remarkable and just as good as their shooting

ADVERTISEMENT