ADVERTISEMENT

Dook running 5-out motion offense, all three frosh forwards start

So, Coach K is now talking about preparing players for the NBA? It makes you wonder just where he got such a philosophy.

The Duke roster looks susceptible to a deep athletic team (anyone know of any?)
How long can 270 lb small forwards keep up with KJ or PJ?

Reactions: MbergCat
So, Coach K is now talking about preparing players for the NBA? It makes you wonder just where he got such a philosophy.

Even if he makes this offense work, it’s hard for me to believe it will be effective against UK so early. Also assuming he’ll be a zone defense again.

Lol. Works great with elite shooters. With dook’s roster...we’ll see. Can’t wait to watch Marques Bolden try to channel Draymond.

Pulls the other teams defense out and forces the C to defend on the perimeter. Folks like AD, Townes and KD kill it in this offense because they can shoot it from the outside.

Too slow to close out, they stroke it from 3, too fast and they head fake and take it to the hole. My 5th grade team runs this offense. Teaches them to play from what the defense is giving them and adjust.

I will say this, I wouldn't mind Kentucky obviously with the right parts to run this offense. It's a hot offense everywhere and whether you run it or not it's attractive to all recruits.

Reactions: TheWyldKat
Lol. Works great with elite shooters. With dook’s roster...we’ll see. Can’t wait to watch Marques Bolden try to channel Draymond.
Not just great shooters, but also great playmakers- as in guys who see the floor really well and make the extra pass. Pre-Durant, Golden State launched into orbit when Draymond Green became a starter and they realized he gave them a second option to initiate their offense. His versatility meant they could ALWAYS find a mismatch.

It's smart for Duke to try this (although honestly, I don't think they have any other choice), but it's very dicey when you're talking about trying it with 19 year olds. The shooting isn't like Golden State, the passing won't be like Golden State, and it's a lot easier for college defenses to just pack it in and dare you to hit shots. To use a college comparison, who is Jalen Brunson, who is Mychal Bridges, and who is Omari Spellman for Duke?

Good luck running a high pick and roll against a zone where all 5 defenders are within 18 feet of the basket.

Even if he makes this offense work, it’s hard for me to believe it will be effective against UK so early. Also assuming he’ll be a zone defense again.

No way this works with their roster. Just pack the paint and force them to shoot over you.

Won’t work unless Alex is starting. Not sure why he mentioned JD and perimeter in the same sentence. His game is similar to Marcus Lee for those who have never seen him, would anyone say Marcus is a perimeter player? That would be the equivalent.

The 5 put might be their best chance because they don’t have a post offensive option. Zion is elite but he’s a face up player and the other good players are Wings

Reactions: Fox2monk
I like the move. I think they'll still wind up with a bunch of ISO's but this is what kids, and the NBA, both want.

I hope we do something similar very soon.

Reactions: TheWyldKat
The NBA has a 5 second DEFENSIVE call in the paint. College does not.

No zone in the NBA because of this.

Pack the paint.

Good luck shooting 25+ 3's a game. Better hope 10-12 fall.

Yeah there’s a lot more to the Golden State offense than shooting three pointers, and Duke won’t even be able to do that part. It takes 5 guys willing to set screens, 5 guys who can pass, and 4 or 5 guys who can shoot threes and oh hey it wouldn’t hurt if 1 or 2 of them can hit routinely from 27-30 ft.

And that’s not even to mention the defense.

Not just great shooters, but also great playmakers- as in guys who see the floor really well and make the extra pass. Pre-Durant, Golden State launched into orbit when Draymond Green became a starter and they realized he gave them a second option to initiate their offense. His versatility meant they could ALWAYS find a mismatch.

It's smart for Duke to try this (although honestly, I don't think they have any other choice), but it's very dicey when you're talking about trying it with 19 year olds. The shooting isn't like Golden State, the passing won't be like Golden State, and it's a lot easier for college defenses to just pack it in and dare you to hit shots. To use a college comparison, who is Jalen Brunson, who is Mychal Bridges, and who is Omari Spellman for Duke?

Good luck running a high pick and roll against a zone where all 5 defenders are within 18 feet of the basket.

Very nice analysis I totally agree.

I see pukes 3 point makes coming to an end in the near future. They have reddish that can shoot, that’s about it

They gonna get zoned all year. They'll struggle.

Many teams will need to zone...unless certain teams can play a man to man and switch out regularly with little drop off in defense or scoring... can you say deep breathing the second half...maybe the first half...

ThzA.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

7250403125cee0915b5133c443a0074d--unc-tarheels-tar-heels.jpg

17gg9g149s0phjpg.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Dick-Vitale.jpg

C7VGvLdV4AAEWJB.jpg

images

Oh, he "ain't" here anymore...
March_Madness_Bracket_Names.jpg

DOURPUfXUAAkFER.jpg

duke.jpg

b647d0a479d7ccb3f309a7ca16bdbcc6--sports-head-lehigh-valley.jpg

Bet we'll see Golden State run more 4 out, 1 in with Boogie in the fold.

They now have the weapons to play any style they want. Dominant guards/wings and arguably the best big man in the league.

It will be interesting to watch the average fouls their big 3 get called for.

Probably their best 5-out motion lineup:

Jones
O'Connell
Barrett
Reddish
Williamson

They will try to score in transition, make it an up and down game. Most teams will attempt to slow them down with a zone and pound them inside. Williamson will give up a lot of size in the post. Once again, K plays the 2/3 zone to try to protect his guys from foul trouble.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Everyone keeps talking about the Duke big 3. Like people have with Quickley(best PG on our roster), they are forgetting the most important piece to winning the National title which is the PG. If Tre Jones(I believe he's more rounded than Tyus) plays even half as good as his brother did his freshmen season they will be a top 5 team the entire season.

Duke/UK is 3 weeks is going to be a war and not some one-sided mismatch.

Preparing them for the NBA, or showing why they shouldn't be drafted high, by drawing attention to their deficiencies? I could see Zion being thought of as a top 3-4 draft choice in 2019, only to drop to 15 or so, once he gets stuck out on the perimeter and shows he is really a 6'6" post player.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Preparing them for the NBA, or showing why they shouldn't be drafted high, by drawing attention to their deficiencies? I could see Zion being thought of as a top 3-4 draft choice in 2019, only to drop to 15 or so, once he gets stuck out on the perimeter and shows he is really a 6'6" post player.
After seeing how much more skilled he is than I thought, I think Zion will be a top pick and probably has Draymond Green potential.

Jones/O'Connell/Reddish/Barret/Zion

That's the group with the best shot at making it work.

ADVERTISEMENT