ADVERTISEMENT

Dook Future

They don't even know yet. Most over there say Giles and Tatum are gone for sure. Seems like the thinking is Kennard is more than likely gone, Jeter is apparently tranferring, and Bolden doesn't seem to be too well liked. They lose Jones and Jefferson to graduation. So, could be Jackson, Allen and a bunch of newbies.

This is wishful thinking and a bit nuts. There is a better chance of everyone (other than Tatum) returning than there is of the above scenario. Zero chance it plays out like that, just no way at all.

At this stage with a guy that has achieved all that he has who in a "disappointing season" won the ACC Championship and defeated hated Chapel hill College 2/3 there will hardly be any barkers for his resignation.

I guess I've just gotten older but I swear people get so caught up in measuring things in sports, "last x number of years only did this or that", etc. folderol. Hell he has as measily 2 National Championships since 2010, (One less than Kansas's entire history! --my official rebuttal to our KU friend in that other thread about Self and K--) and in that same time frame has dominated Chapel Hill College and won 3 ACC Championships along the way.)

Yea people can bark about some early exits and fans of the team that lost can cry their little eyes out however I know that 99% of the country would take those results. I actually give K credit for halfway salvaging this mess of a season with all the injuries which included himself for 6 weeks or so. My only beef would be the Bolden thing, I'd like to know what the deal is. I will say this, Krzyzewski is many things but he is not stupid, he is a brilliant and calculating man. He's not going to deny himself of a stud player (yea I know that sounds off but you get it) and a chance at another title if the guy could contribute. Either he isn't ready, isn't patient, or something else is going on.

Next year will be interesting in Durham depending on some of these decisions this off-season.

About Bolden, some pundit said that in the first game I think it was, Bolden was as "disengaged" as he's ever seen him. That, and some of the comments I read on your board today, make me think he's gonna transfer.

Speaking of what 99% of the country would gladly take, I bet they’d take your nine McDonald’s All-Americans, a pre-season #1 ranking, momentum going into the tournament, and all cylinders working beautifully before the epic meltdown at the hands of an undermanned, inferior South Carolina team.

You’re certainly making a great deal of excuses in your post considering your team is healthy and loaded with more McDonald’s All-Americans than the rest of the East Bracket combined.

Hilarious.

No excuses at all. I didn't comment on the game just giving a synopsis of the season. Bad loss for sure. Kind of goes without saying.

I don't know about that. Without Kennard and Allen, they are extremely young for Duke. You're talking a sophomore Jackson, possibly a sophomore Bolden who barely played (if he stays), and a couple other players at the end of this bench, plus the incoming guys. I don't see K making that a title team. His better teams have some significant experience returning.

I just think Duval is that good. Put him with Trent, Jackson, Knox, Carter, Bolden, etc., and they’d be in the hunt. A favorite? Probably not among the top 5 (assuming Allen and Kennard both bolt), but enough talent to warrant a top 3 seed and a shot at the Final Four.

That said, I’ll be surprised if Duval shows up in Durham.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
My prediction:

Tatum is gone for sure.

I think Giles leaves as well.

At least one of Bolden and Jeter transfer.

They get Knox with the promise of making him the next great SF from Duke.

They miss on Bamba. He's a smart kid, he knows Cal is way ahead of K when it comes to big men.

Allen and Kennard return. They are Dukies for life. They are rich kids and don't need the money. They stick around.

So they are looking at Jackson, Allen, and Kennard as their guards with Knox at the 4 and Carter inside.

That's how K likes to play anyway. Four guys to spread the floor and shoot.

Good starting five with Trent as sixth man. DeLaurier and either Bolden or Jeter provide depth inside.

ESPN will hype that backcourt as one of the greatest ever.

Yeah, that would be a really good roster, but it is still totally green in the frontcourt, with no real depth. DeLaurier isn't any better than Jeter was, right? And I also think Allen hanging around is just gonna be bad for their chemistry yet again unless he has a radical change in his behavior. Then you have the PG issue. Without Duvall, they are still without one, correct? Jackson was being groomed to take that spot, but he doesn't set people up. They tried Allen, and when he concentrated on just that, he was able to get some good assists number, but then you lose his offensive power, and he's not a strong ballhandler/protector.

And just to be clear, I think we have a similar problem. We could be dealing with no real returning experience outside of Hump and Gabriel. That's not encouraging.

Unfortunately Kennard isn't leaving. He's not starving for the money and the Duke diploma is probably one of the reasons he went there. Allen has already hurt his draft position. His upside in the NBA is slim. He'll ride it out and finish his degree and probably take a 2nd round or G-league contract.

Bolden or jeter leaves and one returns. They'll add Knox at the end of the day when Giles and Tatum roll out. They Add Wendel Carter to play the majority of 5 and some 4. They will be a top 5 pre season team.

Book it.

K's Retirement Watch

Coach_K_Rat_Watch.jpg

I don't think it is far fetched to say there will be a mass exodus. If allen comes back maybe that pushes Kennard out the door. Allen is such a turd and caused so many distractions who knows if his return will factor into what other players do. This is not a normal off season in durham and I could easily see 3 or 4 guys bolt on top of seniors jones and Jefferson.
And that thought make me happy. If K thought this year was tough, next year could be really tough. I understand the chips could fall in place and they could put a top 10 team on the floor but this could also be the spiral down to his retirement. We have no idea how much of a toll this took on his spineless little body.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Again, you can't have Allen, Kennard and Trent. It's a niche position, none of them can play PG and you still have Jackson who isn't much of a PG anyways. The #2 isn't the forward position which can be moved around. Allen and Kennard had issues coexisting as is, both tangibly in intangibly.

I think Kennard is gone. He had issues with Allen and also seemed bothered by the freshman relaxing in suits on the bench. He's just outside of the lottery, does he want to deal with this all over, with another top flight SG coming in?

Reactions: GOING FOR #9
Unfortunately Kennard isn't leaving. He's not starving for the money and the Duke diploma is probably one of the reasons he went there. Allen has already hurt his draft position. His upside in the NBA is slim. He'll ride it out and finish his degree and probably take a 2nd round or G-league contract.

Bolden or jeter leaves and one returns. They'll add Knox at the end of the day when Giles and Tatum roll out. They Add Wendel Carter to play the majority of 5 and some 4. They will be a top 5 pre season team.

Book it.

I say kennard learns from the fall of Gracie and goes. He can always finish that Duke degree at a later date. If he wants to play in the NBA he better not risk it his stock isn't going to go any higher

Reactions: MO_Blue
Again, you can't have Allen, Kennard and Trent. It's a niche position, none of them can play PG and you still have Jackson who isn't much of a PG anyways. The #2 isn't the forward position which can be moved around. Allen and Kennard had issues coexisting as is, both tangibly in intangibly.

I think Kennard is gone. He had issues with Allen and also seemed bothered by the freshman relaxing in suits on the bench. He's just outside of the lottery, does he want to deal with this all over, with another top flight SG coming in?
I agree,there seems to be many things still "up in the air" regarding Duke.I think the mid term future of K is a bit of a question,it is likely he is there next year but it is possible that could change.He is 70(although his hair doesn't know it) and there are some health issues.If he returns how long does he stay,maybe 2 or 3 years?

Having both Allen and Kennard return seems unlikely,they(Duke)likely covered up the Allen issue pretty well this season but common sense would tell you that it created at least some degree of team issues. Jeter,Bolden and to some degree Giles were lost in the mix this year,no doubt Jefferson meant a lot to the team and he is finally gone and will be missed.

Duke played a 5th year MCDAA this year so I will never assume anyone is leaving. I think he pushes Kennard to stay and Allen out the door. This though gave me the laugh of the week. Fans are funny.

actually give K credit for halfway salvaging this mess of a season

Giles leaving probably has very little or zero to do with Duke.

The guy is slowly losing his future potential to make money playing basketball.

If a team is willing to take him now, even with a mid-late 1st, how can he turn it down when he literally could never make it at all with those knees?

If he's 100% next year, I'd rather be 100% on an NBA bench playing against pros. If he's not 100%, he will get exposed in college at Duke.

No-win situation for Giles to return...

Let's be honest here, didn't he win the NCAA title just two years ago. I'm just as big of a U.K. fan as anyone on here and I'm just as big of a Duke hater as anyone but let's be logical give credit where credits due. Asking what they will have next season is no different that asking what we will have next season. They always field a great team and I'm sure next year won't be any different. We get so caught up in who's the best that we fail to realize the parity in college basketball isn't he same as it once was. The blue blood programs are all going to be competitive year after year.

While they did win it all 2 years ago I do have to disagree with you. That season seems to be the exception not the norm for Coach K since he started doing the one and done thing. He has more flameouts and tumultuous seasons than championship ones. And let's be honest they were kind of gift wrapped that championship 2 years ago when Wisconsin took out UK. The reality was that Wisconsin played for their National Championship on Saturday night not on Monday night. They all commented that they were consumed, from the previous years defeat at the hands of Aaron Harrison, with beating UK. Sam Dekker had a poster of it hanging in his room and said he stared at it daily for motivation.

Last edited:
let's not exaggerate the injuries.... Bolden, Giles, and Tatum also all were playing in summer. You guys were talking about how great they were. They missed first 8-9 games. Coach K just doesn't' do great job developing bigs. Jahlil Okafor was the same person beginning of the season and the end. That's when Coach K strives, when his bigs are college ready.

i don't disagree with your other point about getting stud. However, I don't think K can handle 4-5 in and 4-5 out. I just don't think he has the capacity to handle that anymore.

Coach Cal made the comment before the field was announced that if you don't have a legit big man you are a fraud. I think that was in reference to Duke and if so he was right.

I really don't want to see Allen play another year. He is an embarrassment for Duke and I wish they would show him the door.
The fact that he is an embarrassment for Duke makes me want to see him return for another trip through the ACC.

Hate Duke but they just won it 2 years ago. With freshmen.

like someone else said, is that the norm?

Jahlil Okafor had interior game already ready for NCAA tourney (He was great since the very beginning of that season). Unlike Coach Cal, outside of National title since OAD approach, K hasn't proven that he can consistently put together a team of younger guys and make it to final four. You saw this this year. Instead of taking his top talented players in Giles and Bolden, and developing them more seriously, he went with what's comforting. He played small, and made it suspect interior when his guards couldn't stop dribble penetration...

I see more players staying than some might anticipate. This draft class is absolutely loaded. Further, the season after such a big draft is usually pretty weak. Everyone who can stay, stays - minus Tatum maybe.

I hate to say this, but I think Wendell Carter is going to fix a lot of things for them. The kid is physically ready. He might not be as good as Okafor was offensively, but he's better on D. As tough as Amile Jefferson was, Carter is a big upgrade.

If they don't get Duval, they still have a big question mark at PG. And if they do get Duval, they have a crowded backcourt. Without Knox, they lack the big wing guy that K loves to use at the 4. They would almost have to pair Carter with another big (clearly Giles if he stays), unless they want to go 4 guards. Even if that's Giles or Bamba (and I don't think Bamba will happen), that's not the type of lineup Krzyzewski normally uses.

So right now, they're looking at a better interior presence, a lot of shooters (as always), and question marks about everything else.

Listen all of this talk about their roster next year is nonsense. Haven't you been listening this week? The problem isn't the Jimmy's and Joe's its the HB 2 woes that kept them from winning it all. It doesn't matter what the roster is, as long as they get to play in Charlotte and Greensboro until the Final Four, Coach K can work his magic.

My prediction:

Tatum is gone for sure.

I think Giles leaves as well.

At least one of Bolden and Jeter transfer.

They get Knox with the promise of making him the next great SF from Duke.

They miss on Bamba. He's a smart kid, he knows Cal is way ahead of K when it comes to big men.

Allen and Kennard return. They are Dukies for life. They are rich kids and don't need the money. They stick around.

So they are looking at Jackson, Allen, and Kennard as their guards with Knox at the 4 and Carter inside.

That's how K likes to play anyway. Four guys to spread the floor and shoot.

Good starting five with Trent as sixth man. DeLaurier and either Bolden or Jeter provide depth inside.

ESPN will hype that backcourt as one of the greatest ever.
If I remember what I read correctly, neither Allen nor Kennard are "rich kids". Parents were small-town attorney and educators I think.

ADVERTISEMENT