ADVERTISEMENT

Dontaie Allen

giphy.gif

Why couldn't he do that against the cupcake OOC teams here last season? He bricked tons of wide open looks.

He's averaging 6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, and shooting 31.3% from three. We really don't need an update every time he has a marginally good game. I think we all wished it worked out, but he just wasn't a player who was going to contribute meaningfully to a power 5 team, let alone UK.

I think talking about guys like Juzang and Hopkins carries weight, because they transfered to power conference programs. And their success at these programs, likely means they could do it at UK if given more time.

But there's really nothing Dontaie Allen could do at a mid major that will ever make me wish we had him or think that we made some mistake with the way we handled him.

A 20pt game for a 22 year old at a CUSA school? Meh. There's no way I can look at the competition level and draw some sort of conclusion on his time at UK.

He's averaging 6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, and shooting 31.3% from three. We really don't need an update every time he has a marginally good game. I think we all wished it worked out, but he just wasn't a player who was going to contribute meaningfully to a power 5 team, let alone UK.
We didn’t need updates every time he had a bad game this year, either, but we got them. I agree with you, overall. But, considering all the negative posts earlier in the season, I don’t see a problem with reporting the good. I hope the kid regains his confidence & becomes an All-Conference player, or, better.

He played like 18 mins a game a big stretch of OOC cupcakes last year when Mintz was hurt and was awful.
In one of the three games you are referring to he tied for team lead in points with 14 with TTW and was 2nd behind Oscar in rebounding with 7. That was in only 19 minutes while 5 other players played from 25-36 minutes. He shot the 3 poorly in that 3 game stretch going 3-20 but to say he was awful is a big stretch.

We didn’t need updates every time he had a bad game this year, either, but we got them. I agree with you, overall. But, considering all the negative posts earlier in the season, I don’t see a problem with reporting the good. I hope the kid regains his confidence & becomes an All-Conference player, or, better.
This! Lmao unreal.

He dominates the UTSA’s of the world! Whoever that is. I almost thought they played a bunch of tennis players.

I’ve watched WKU plays multiple times this year. Dontae is not very good at all. If he gets hot he can score a little bit but mostly he’s a non-entity who can’t play defense or do much other than shoot. That’s why he doesn’t start or really play that much. Western has a number of players who are objectively better than he is and Western is having a major down year.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Congrats to DA.

He's had some nice games but is quite inconsistent and defense is an issue. WKU at-large has some really good players, but Stansbury hasn't set the world on fire from a coaching perspective.

Oh my gosh!! It's Feb. 23 2023 and Im pretty sure I just read the greatest post ever on RR that just made incredible sense... just too much damn sense. You don't suppose to be able to do that here, sir. You're liable to get a lifetime ban on here for all the great sense you just made and put it in the most simple terms one could do. You're suppose to form an idea, post it and then argue about it whether wrong or not... Or get called brutal names, a WKU fan or a troll, a traitor or a Trump!

You're my favorite kind of poster. Since we discuss it when Allen was playing poorly and you brought up the idea to even the score and mention something good, positive about Dontaie Allen and his performance. It don't have to be bash bash bash all time. I believe it's ok to call things like they are. Not many on here will do so.

I may not be wild about Calipari. I do give him shit when he does dumb shit. Sometime I find myself very unbalanced in that act. If he does something well I try to give him credit and say something nice about that even if deep inside me I don't care for him the most. It's called balance and it could make for some damn good reading on this board even if ppl could swallow pride sometime and talk about ball without a prejudice tone against whoever they hold grudges toward. Many times a fan put a foot on player or coach's throat so then theyll only speak negatively of that guy no matter what... Even if they knew 27 great things about that guy and wat he done to help his club win a ball game and afterwards also save 8 kids from dying in burning building they would rather discuss the negativity they know than keeping it straight, honest and balanced.

I trust readers who can say nice things about players they've bashed, or bash players who they love. Thanks for bringing that balance. It's something I give alot of thought to. They'll always even be fans who will attempt to be smart about why we still discuss DA at this point. Like why? Like because he's a former UK player and from KY so it's RuppRafters and thats what we do. They'll try to make someone look silly and say if his name was Dontaie Wilson from Mouth of Wilson nobody would care then. And it's like well we might not, but we'll have to wait to whatever name they made up get his chance but for now hopefully D. Allen will keep starting and get lots of PT.

Last edited:
To add to the point of my buddy, @JHannibalSmith, every bad outing Dontaie had, there were multiple threads about his lack of performance. Yet, when he has a good game and it’s posted, people lose their collective minds. Shame of you if you wish to see a homegrown Kentucky kid fail and/or falter. Despicable and absurd.
Not seeing anyone lose there mind About this. DA got in his own way as much as Cal poorly handling him. Didnt he have to sit out die to academic problems at WKU?

I hope the kid kills it at WKU as well.

I also think he was in over his head here for multiple reasons (some prolly not his fault). Mid level D1 seems more his speed and I think both Dontaie and Uk benefited from him transferring.

Reactions: Zissou87
I think talking about guys like Juzang and Hopkins carries weight, because they transfered to power conference programs. And their success at these programs, likely means they could do it at UK if given more time.

But there's really nothing Dontaie Allen could do at a mid major that will ever make me wish we had him or think that we made some mistake with the way we handled him.

A 20pt game for a 22 year old at a CUSA school? Meh. There's no way I can look at the competition level and draw some sort of conclusion on his time at UK.
How did/does Antonio Reeves' time at Southern Illinois translate?

ADVERTISEMENT