ADVERTISEMENT

DONTAIE ALLEN!

First thing that comes to mind is that this is a 17 year old who has worked maniacally his entire life for this.

We all remember what it's like to be five years old in the driveway pretending to be Goose or Rex or Delk or Prince or whoever. Imagine actually living that dream.

Gotta be pumped for the kid. I can't imagine what it was like to hear Cal offer a scholarship to play basketball at Kentucky for a kid who grew up a fan.

It's also a really nicely timed shot at Jeffries and he'll be a good player for us and all that. But he's gotta be floating right now. Good for him.

Exactly. I'd rather have him than Jeffereis, he wants to be here and understands what it's all about. Jefferies was nothing but NBA, money, NBA, money......He's no help to us in a year or two.

Kentucky guys that can play here need to be taken. They help in ways some of these OAD wannabes won't.

Exactly. I'd rather have him than Jeffereis, he wants to be here and understands what it's all about. Jefferies was nothing but NBA, money, NBA, money......He's no help to us in a year or two.

Kentucky guys that can play here need to be taken. They help in ways some of these OAD wannabes won't.

Well said. I liked when we first got Jeffries, since it looked like he was a multi-year player and Cal was adjusting his recruiting strategy. Then the guy's first interview is all about being one and done. It was like, there are 35 players better than you in your own class, plus foreign prospects, plus college prospects, but you're going to be OAD?

Everything about Jeffries was weird. Allen had a great summer and he's true blue. Nothing beats that.

i am going to give my thoughts on this and i want you guys/gals to tell me your thoughts on it
i think this has been a done deal for awhile
once Jefferies decommitted Cal had him make it public, much the same way he does when we lose a recruit he has a flurry of guys commit

i know he had Dom wait a month before he made it public

i am thrilled he is a Wildcat

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I hope for a Goose Givens type career, no disrespect to DM.
Wonder if cal wanted him to go ahead and commit after the Jeffries news?

I don’t think Cal was going to offer until he visited. Cal seems to have a great feel for the kid he wants on a visit. Great pickup. I’m not sure that he’ll be a Rex or Rondo but I do believe he will be a very special player for us during his time here.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. If it's a kid like Goodin that knows he can start/play day 1 at a major program and doesn't want to have to wait at kentucky, we're better off without those guys too.

What we *need* are guys who are from Kentucky, good enough to actually play and contribute, and that are willing to fight for minutes or wait their turn. There's just not many of them, but I feel like we get the ones who exist.

I no more want Jeffries than I would Tandy, even though he's a Kentucky kid good enough to play here.

Reactions: morgousky
i am going to give my thoughts on this and i want you guys/gals to tell me your thoughts on it
i think this has been a done deal for awhile
once Jefferies decommitted Cal had him make it public, much the same way he does when we lose a recruit he has a flurry of guys commit

i know he had Dom wait a month before he made it public

i am thrilled he is a Wildcat

I think Cal has known for a long time that he'd be a Cat whenever we offered. He wanted to see him play and evaluate him, knowing he could wait and get him whenever he was ready.

The timing for this was perfect. Added bonus.

Reactions: Cats192
giphy.gif

Great to get an in-state kid to UK! His profile is on the rise so hopefully his rankings will follow.

Current rankings of Allen -

247 Sports - #83
Rivals - #47
ESPN - not currently in top 100
247 Composite rankings - #145
Ouch! But I still stand by my opinion he won't be here 4 years. The Kentucky effect is too strong. If he can get enough playing time to get in the 8-9 man rotation he will be fine.

Reactions: CatfanMike47

Exactly.

I think Cal has known for a long time that he'd be a Cat whenever we offered. He wanted to see him play and evaluate him, knowing he could wait and get him whenever he was ready.

The timing for this was perfect. Added bonus.

Couldn't be more perfect. ESPN: Is Cal losing to Penny?
Cal: I'll just replace him tomorrow.

Reactions: BlueRupp
So glad this happened. He's got a lot more upside than Willis/Hawkins.

Not overly athletic, but finishes around the rim, knocks down 3's, and passes it well. Rivals has him 1 spot below DJ Jefferies. He'll be able to fill the exact same role, just as well if not better. Jefferies by all accounts was a 4 built like a 3. Allen is a 2 that can step into the 3 role.

I always post this and I'm sure everyone's sick of hearing it. I don't care as much about the Kentucky boy part of this, although it's cool. I think we need 1-2 guys each year that are likely to be here for 3-4 years, but able to step in and contribute when called upon. I think Allen fits that mold to perfection.

The fact that he committed right away--he wants to be a cat. He and his father didn't throw a fit or gripe about coming off the bench like KyKy Tandy and his dad. They get it. It's Kentucky. You'll play against the best. You'll be in the best position to go pro if you're built for it. But you may come off the bench. You may have to wait your turn.
Well be lucky if he’s here 2 yrs. he’s a top 50 talent!

Reactions: JC43
I have a compulsive need to state my opinion which greatly upsets the posse when it differs from their group thought. Dude was a 4 star recruit who will easily be replaced with multiple recruits who are ranked higher, we're arguably the greatest college basketball program of all time, he should be irrelevant to us IMO.

Congratulations to Dontaie Allen.

Lol smh. Hey let me ask you something. Do you have two accounts?
Why on earth would I have 2 accounts? I have zero problem saying whatever I want with this one. Why is it anytime someone challenges the clown posse, the sheep come in and call you psycho or accuse you of having 2 accounts?

Do you have anything on Dontaie Allen or are you just trying to fight with me to earn clown points from the posse?

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Why on earth would I have 2 accounts? I have zero problem saying whatever I want with this one. Why is it anytime someone challenges the clown posse, the sheep come in and call you psycho or accuse you of having 2 accounts?

Do you have anything on Dontaie Allen or are you just trying to fight with me to earn clown points from the posse?

I just like f'n with idiots.

The headline on ESPN should be "UK trades unprofessional dad and 4 star player for great family and in-state 4 star. Maybe Cal knows what he's doing". Of course they probably won't even mention it. I have a friend who lives in LA that's a Cat fan and he was really upset after reading the headline when Jeffries dropped out because ESPN made it sound like we did everything wrong. Turns out we did everything right.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I've been watching Allen here in Pendleton county for a couple years now,he is a hard worker,wanted to play at Kentucky more than anything,and will be a better addition than any one and done that justs wants to get to the NBA and the name on the jersey isn't as important.

ADVERTISEMENT