ADVERTISEMENT

Dontaie Allen has 21 points in AAU Nationals first game, a rout

I think there is little doubt he gets a UK offer when he visits first of August and I’m sure he understands this. Cal doesn’t throw out offers like others and Allen is fully aware of this certain.

Cal wanted to see him against national talent and the kid did well so let’s give the kid his due, he’s a player capable of playing at UK, no matter where he’s from. IMO
I think he's a tricky talent. He's rated really high at guard a spot we usually get top 15 guys. Is he better than the other guys Cal wants and if not will he push anybody off the board.

I think he's a tricky talent. He's rated really high at guard a spot we usually get top 15 guys. Is he better than the other guys Cal wants and if not will he push anybody off the board.
He is a small forward, which has traditionally been Cal’s weakest position for recruiting.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
I guess you could wonder that playing basketball in Kentucky, where he had 10 games where he scored 40 or more points, but the recruiting gurus at UA saw with their own eyes this is an elite player.
If he's that good, I'm curious why cal has yet to offer the kid..
are the other recruits he's lookin at that much better?

He is a small forward, which has traditionally been Cal’s weakest position for recruiting.

True.

But if I am not mistaken, this class is pretty deep with SF talent.

I would still take him. I doubt he scares off any of our big targets.

Its not about them scaring off anyone but being the ones that scare off others. Thats part of Tandys situation. He has the view that he is not some guy that you apply that kinda of talk to, Allen to me seems like the type that would be happy to put in the work and earn the PT instead of like Tandy thinking you get it from the get go.

Like I said I think he proved he could play for us, but is he better then what we will get? I don’t know and Cal will have to figure that one out.

Like I said I think he proved he could play for us, but is he better then what we will get? I don’t know and Cal will have to figure that one out.

We are likely losing 5-6 players and have 3 open scholarships.

We are going to need bodies and they don't all have to be 5-stars and it isn't likely that they all will be.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
We are likely losing 5-6 players and have 3 open scholarships.

We are going to need bodies and they don't all have to be 5-stars and it isn't likely that they all will be.

Like I said I think he can play for the Cats.

Talked to his dad tonight, and he said he’s always liked Kentucky (or wanted to play for Kentucky, I forget the phrasing he used). I figured people were just assuming that and saying it, but I guess it’s true...

Cal wanted to see him against national talent and the kid did well so let’s give the kid his due, he’s a player capable of playing at UK, no matter where he’s from. IMO
Agree. I think Cal wanted to see him against real good competition. No doubt that concern has been fixed. Now, I would say it's a matter of fit and how Cal connects with him and his family.

Reactions: Poetax
Are you a bad poster or or you benefiting from all the other bad posts you have on here.
It’s a legit question. Kentucky is a weak state for high school basketball. A kid can average 25-30 a game and be a star for his team. But in college he’s he’s only good enough to come off the bench at WKU for 4 years. Allen is showing that he can play with the big dogs now though. He seems like a legit top 50 talent.

Talked to his dad tonight, and he said he’s always liked Kentucky (or wanted to play for Kentucky, I forget the phrasing he used). I figured people were just assuming that and saying it, but I guess it’s true...
[thumb2]

It’s a legit question. Kentucky is a weak state for high school basketball. A kid can average 25-30 a game and be a star for his team. But in college he’s he’s only good enough to come off the bench at WKU for 4 years. Allen is showing that he can play with the big dogs now though. He seems like a legit top 50 talent.
Yep.

I remember JP Blevins, who was almost exactly like you stated, only he averaged that when he started playing varsity in 8th grade. He seemed unbelievable when we played them in high school. Then he looked very average while at UK. I mean he was good, but he didn't have near the impact I thought he would, and that was back before we started signing 6-7 5 stars a year.

Reactions: jrpross
It will be interesting to see if we make room for him as we will be able to sign 7-8 guys in this class most likely and we will need basically 2 guards 2 SF , 2 PF and 2 C so he could be the lesser SF to go with Brooks possibily ? . I think it is very reasonable we lose Travis , PJ , Richards, EJ , KJ , Hagans and either quickley or Green after this season and we also have a few open rides now .

I remember JP Blevins, who was almost exactly like you stated, only he averaged that when he started playing varsity in 8th grade. He seemed unbelievable when we played them in high school. Then he looked very average while at UK. I mean he was good, but he didn't have near the impact I thought he would, and that was back before we started signing 6-7 5 stars a year.
Blaahvins sucked, he wasn't anywhere close to good. Not too many UK players i will say that about but he had zero business being anything other than a walkon at UK.

ADVERTISEMENT