ADVERTISEMENT

Don't reckon Wandale committed to UK, figuring that it would help him win Mr, Football?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Knowing that after the Mr. Football winner was announced win or lose that he would just decommit.

1. - Think about it. Nebraska was always considered the leader.

2. - Then about a month before the Mr. Football winner was to be announced, as the voting was taking place. With probably 95% of the voters being UK fans. Out of the blue, Robinson commits to UK. (Knowing he had no intention of ever coming here)

3. - Then Sunday Mr. Football was announced. Then surprise, surprise the next day the rumors start that Robinson is ready to decommit.

Is this all barely possible?

I still don’t understand what winning Mr. Football has anything to do with this. He’ll talk to his grandkids about college, not some insignificant award he received when he was 18.

No. The Mr Football award has still not been announced. Zero correlation and people need to stop suggesting it.

The award he won last weekend was the first ever coaches awarded Mr Football. The one that the AP gives and has been around forever has not been announced yet. Hence the reason people need to give up this narrative.

This is asinine. There is absolutely no proof that committing to UK helps your chances of winning Mr. Football. Of the last 15 Mr. Football award winners just 4 of them were UK commitments. So, having UK next to your name as a commit does not make you some lock for the award.

Also, if he wanted to do this it would make more sense for him to just commit to UK and do it relatively quietly instead of having a big decision ceremony. He could then back out of the quiet commitment later and then have a big ceremony to announce where he really wanted to go and he'd actually get the fanfare of going to the school he supposedly always wanted to go to.

In reality, it really just seems as though he wanted to go to Nebraska and at the time he felt too much pressure from friends and family to pick UK, so he did. He had buyer's remorse and changed his mind. It happens. I'm not mad about that. I am annoyed that just yesterday he was still claiming that he was enrolling at UK in two weeks knowing full well that he planned to flip.

Reactions: DeadAhead
This is asinine. There is absolutely no proof that committing to UK helps your chances of winning Mr. Football. Of the last 15 Mr. Football award winners just 4 of them were UK commitments. So, having UK next to your name as a commit does not make you some lock for the award.

If playing for the in-state school is the only way to win that award, doesn't it make the award inconsequential and a farce?

Also, if he wanted to do this it would make more sense for him to just commit to UK and do it relatively quietly instead of having a big decision ceremony. He could then back out of the quiet commitment later and then have a big ceremony to announce where he really wanted to go and he'd actually get the fanfare of going to the school he supposedly always wanted to go to.

In reality, it really just seems as though he wanted to go to Nebraska and at the time he felt too much pressure from friends and family to pick UK, so he did. He had buyer's remorse and changed his mind. It happens. I'm not mad about that. I am annoyed that just yesterday he was still claiming that he was enrolling at UK in two weeks knowing full well that he planned to flip.

How many of those 15 stayed in state regardless of the school they went to? I would bet just committing to any state school is a big positive for winning it over going out of state. He may have gotten it regardless, but the timing suggests that he wanted to guarantee he got the award.

How many of those 15 stayed in state regardless of the school they went to? I would bet just committing to any state school is a big positive for winning it over going out of state. He may have gotten it regardless, but the timing suggests that he wanted to guarantee he got the award.

He didn't even get the award yet. It hasn't been awarded. Still, 6 of 15 went out of state. No idea how many were committed before being given the award.

Why I don’t believe he used the UK commitment to win the meaningless mr football award, I don’t buy the buyers remorse either. No reason to still be announcing that your are enrolling at UK in two weeks the night before the official flip. I don’t pretend to know his reasoning but IMO he knew the day he made that video that he would never enroll at UK. Maybe he wanted to be a bigger villain than Harris, who knows. Regardless he didn’t handle it well at any point in time. One thing to do that to out of state schools who have recruited you but to take a big dump on your instate school/fans is another. Glad he’s not going to be on the team if that is the type of person he is. Good riddance I say.....

Well he definitely lied and won't keep a commitment. Still don't understand all the hats, switching, flipping etc. Narrow it down to two schools. Take two offical visits to each school. You stI'll have one for fun or take a 3rd if you want then decide and tell other coach thank you. Then honor your commitment. That's what grown men do. Quit acting like little kids and grow up.

I don’t think it had anything to do with Mr. Football, he was going to win it anyway. I think he wanted to go to Nebraska but they had a falling out and he switched to UK to persuade Nebraska to give him what he wanted and they ultimately did. He used UK against Nebraska and it worked, he never had any intentions of going to UK unless he had to. To support that he shut his recruitment down after switching.

It’s more asinine that you think it’s not even a remote possibility

Because it's not. He has already flipped to Nebraska and Mr. Football has not been announced yet. Not sure how many times this point has to keep being made.

Because it's not. He has already flipped to Nebraska and Mr. Football has not been announced yet. Not sure how many times this point has to keep being made.

December 02, 2018 03:06 PM

Wandale Robinson, a Western Hills senior who finished his career as one of the state’s all-time leading scorers, was named Mr. Football by the Kentucky Football Coaches Association on Sunday.

That is being named Mr. Football on Sunday and decommiting on Wednesday. Maybe you are thinking of the AP award for Mr. Football.

Yes I am, which is the real Mr. Football award that has been around for years and is the award that everyone recognizes. This new award given by the coaches just started this year. That is why I am saying Mr. Football has not been awarded yet. The kid's heart is simply with Frost and Nebraska and that is why he is going there. It has zero to do with any award.

He made a big production at his school about committing to UK then changes his mind about 2 weeks later for whatever reason.The way he went about things doesn't speak well for the kid no matter the way you choose to slice it.Keep your mouth shut till you make up your mind then tell the world however you choose.Say what you mean and mean what you say

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
He made a big production at his school about committing to UK then changes his mind about 2 weeks later for whatever reason.The way he went about things doesn't speak well for the kid no matter the way you choose to slice it.Keep your mouth shut till you make up your mind then tell the world however you choose.Say what you mean and mean what you say

Definitely agree that he and/or his family didn't handle the situation well at all. It was just factors besides Mr. Football that went into it. He simply should have cancelled his original commitment and rescheduled it.

It’s more asinine that you think it’s not even a remote possibility

There is no evidence of it. They've not even given out the Mr. Football award yet. So, it makes zero sense that he did it for an award when the award hasn't even been given.

There is no evidence of it. They've not even given out the Mr. Football award yet. So, it makes zero sense that he did it for an award when the award hasn't even been given.

He did get the award voted on by the high school coaches though and who do you think would be more upset about him pulling this kind of stunt the instate coaches or AP voters? I'm sure the AP voters don't care where he goes to school. He might have gotten it regardless, but he also might have just wanted to guarantee he got it. The timing seems like more than a coincidence.

Nebraska can have Wandale Entourage,KY is better off. His peeps can do their NFL planing with Frost

He did get the award voted on by the high school coaches though and who do you think would be more upset about him pulling this kind of stunt the instate coaches or AP voters? I'm sure the AP voters don't care where he goes to school. He might have gotten it regardless, but he also might have just wanted to guarantee he got it. The timing seems like more than a coincidence.

He got the unofficial one. If those awards were so important to him then he could have waited to win the second one as well. He didn't do that.

Look, if you think it happened that's fine, but there really isn't much, if any evidence for it and it definitely shouldn't just be mentioned like it is some sort of a fact.

Leave the kid alone. Players commit, de-commit on an hourly basis. He's 18, you've never made a bad decision at 18? I know I did. Bottom line its 1 kid, not going to make or break a program. Everybody always bitchin and moanin about signing the in-state kids. I could give 2 shits where they are from. Name me the last Kentucky born kid that lit up college and pro football? I want the best players, don't care where they come from as long as they come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT