ADVERTISEMENT

Does Nike influence kids to come to UK

I think at one point they may have been. Anthony Davis tweeted “Nike bound” and quickly deleted it a few weeks before he committed to us.

But that was the only obvious one. I wondered about Brandon knight as well as it was rumored WWW visited him shortly before he committed.

Mostly I think Cal’s one and done/nba pitch was so strong he just didn’t need any help.

If Nike was pushing kids to us we’ve fallen out of favor for some reason.

I think at one point they may have been. Anthony Davis tweeted “Nike bound” and quickly deleted it a few weeks before he committed to us.

But that was the only obvious one. I wondered about Brandon knight as well as it was rumored WWW visited him shortly before he committed.

Mostly I think Cal’s one and done/nba pitch was so strong he just didn’t need any help.

Cal may have pissed off NIKE by not playing in the P80 last year...

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-

what happened with kentucky getting all the tippy top kids is WWW fell out of favor with Lebron. Wes was like a father figure/mentor to Lebron and when Rich Paul went from being basically the manager of Lebron's inner circle and he left CAA and started up Klutch there was a falling out with Wes. That's why Lebron and UK isn't a thing anymore and also why we aren't the preeminent nike school anymore.

Reactions: Montana81
what happened with kentucky getting all the tippy top kids is WWW fell out of favor with Lebron. Wes was like a father figure/mentor to Lebron and when Rich Paul went from being basically the manager of Lebron's inner circle and he left CAA and started up Klutch there was a falling out with Wes. That's why Lebron and UK isn't a thing anymore and also why we aren't the preeminent nike school anymore.
Sounds like the plot summary for Mean Girls 2.

I'm glad Nike has been pushing kids away, honestly. I want college basketball to be somewhat of a competition. I think I'd get bored after Kentucky's 130th win in a row.

like they do Duke, or like Adidas did KU?

Yes. In fact, Nike was basically the pioneer first to do this sort of stuff (under Sonny Vacarro's guidance). And Adidas, Reebok and others used to loudly complain and whine about Nike doing it back in the 80s and 90s.

But Adidas eventually changed to an "if you can't beat em, join em" stance, and not only joined, but joined wholeheartedly in every corrupt way possible.

It's in jest, guys.

But there is a part of me that likes saying we win games, banners and titles on our own. No help from a shoe company, no help from the NCAA, no cheating, no fake classes, no hookers. We win on the court.

Makes me respect Cal’s efforts on the trail all the more. He still goes after all the clean elite talent. In light of all the financial scandals and academic cheating it’s a wonder we’ve recruited as well as we have. I think that most all intellectually honest fans now understand what Cal has been up against. UNC went to back to back finals along with Villanovas two final appearances with multi year guys. If we have more of a mixture of one and two year guys, Im more than OK with it. Cal is a winner and I’m glad he’s ours.

Fans are naive and want to think their school is always doing it the right way. You don’t sit and think they are doing something wrong but you also shouldn’t be Naive and say “nope we have never ever done anything wrong”. Basically you just hope your school is clean and keep that hope until proven other wise.

You are naive if you think it isnt happening every where....

Cal went through hell with the Camby UMass deal. He was never going to get caught up in that type stuff again. He steers clear of a lot of top talent that have their hand out. I liked John Wall telling some of our kids that he got plenty of offers but Cal told him to hold on one more year and he would be able to take care of mom by doing it the the right way.

Last edited:
Nike doesn't pay players to go to Nike schools. Adidas does. Apparently, Adidas paid players to recruit them to Oregon (Nike), Arizona (Nike), Maryland (Under Armour), Ohio State (Nike), Texas (Nike), Michigan (Nike), Auburn (Under Armour), USC (Nike).

No. Nike was steering to Duke and Oregon.

Were some player paid by shoe companies without the knowledge of UK staff? Almost surely. But it definitely wasn't some arrangement with the school.

They paid to keep players away that's why we didn't go to Nike tournament last season. Nike and UK/Cal seems to hate each other. We was the only major Nike school not yo participate in it. Hhhmmmm . All Nike commercials are Duke nothing on UK. I want yo seitch to under armour myself they would make us Kings in bball IMO. Nike sucks ass!!

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Another thing, the notion that this goes on everywhere is buffoonery. UNC fans said everybody had easy classses to make their cheating seem legal. Got news for ya, they were the only ones cheating like that. UL fans said everybody was cheating the way they did, except they weren’t and it was just UL.

There are schools cheating by getting third parties to buy players but again not everybody is doing that. If Cal was getting third party help then he’d never lose a recruit or back off a player, it only takes a small amount of thought to figure things out.

Another thing, the notion that this goes on everywhere is buffoonery. UNC fans said everybody had easy classses to make their cheating seem legal. Got news for ya, they were the only ones cheating like that. UL fans said everybody was cheating the way they did, except they weren’t and it was just UL.

There are schools cheating by getting third parties to buy players but again not everybody is doing that. If Cal was getting third party help then he’d never lose a recruit or back off a player, it only takes a small amount of thought to figure things out.

Misread your post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT