ADVERTISEMENT

Does Neal Brown's success at Troy have any impact on Stoops at UK?

Obviously I didn't. I thought you were saying Neal left Kentucky without a reason. And that Neal wasn't from Kentucky. He didn't get his degree from UK - but everything else about Neal is very Kentucky. You know what they call someone who goes to UK but doesn't get a degree- an Alumni!

Go Big Blue!

Then, why did you “like” the post if you did not understand it? I think you were actually responding to the post I was responding to.

There is a decent chance that jobs will be open at Texas Tech (if the coach doesn't step things up) or Kansas State (if Snyder retires). Either one would be a great fit for Brown after next year. Also, although Arkansas made a solid hire last year, they should have thrown everything they had at Brown.
Guess you know NB was very successful OC at TT...

Our offense has been bad at times-defense has been much worse. Teams typically identify with their head coaches strengths/weaknesses. I think we were all expecting the defensive side of the ball to be our strength. We have a ton of returnig players-it’s now or never for Stoops. If he can’t put a quality, displined team on the field this year, he never will.
I don't disagree. Development and discipline seem to be the biggest issue. I was arguing that personnel isn't hopeless situation.

I think our losing culture will be hard to change. It's like a cancer that just won't go away. Coach needs to run a tight ship, no more Marcus Walkers, no lazy potential superstars (Boom, Westry) that don't develop at the pace they should, and all the other back-talking and social media crap. I feel like we've always displayed our minimal potential on the field, with the exception of a few games.

Anywhere. A coach inherits a mess and goes 2, 5, 5, 7, 7 and a 4 win season places him on the hot seat for the next year.

Given the returning talent he has, most of the SEC would-he’s had plenty of time to put together a roster and staff to not go backwards-even middle of the road P5 schools would part ways. Our expectations are too low IMO.

Reactions: jnewc2
Still arguing for the sake of arguing I see. Stoops wouldn’t be a senior member of the SEC if our SEC brethren accepted mediocrity.
Ask any coach in the sec if Stoops is doing a good job they all will say yes. If you fire a coach that's had any success at a school like UK after 1 mediocre season and good luck finding a coach in the future. You cannot compare every sec team equally. What is considered successful here will not work other schools.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Nebraska ?

Nebraska is not an AD. I know people want to take Stoops out of the Kentucky context and act like a 4-8 at UK might get him fired, but I just don't think any AD would do that. It would be a notable backslide and he would need to prove himself the following year. Two years like that and he would likely get fired.

If Stoops was at Nebraska, 4-8 may get him fired, even after coming off a 9 win season. But, Riley did not enter the history of UK and the dumpster fire at UK when he took the Nebraska job. I just don't think any AD at UK is going to pretend they are at Bama or Nebraska or Michigan.

I don't think Stoops is going to go 4-8, so this discussion is about as silly as it gets, which was kind of my point about the buyout criticism in June. But, should he go 4-8, I don't see him getting fired.

Now, why not talk about what happens if he wins 9-10 games?

Nebraska is not an AD. I know people want to take Stoops out of the Kentucky context and act like a 4-8 at UK might get him fired, but I just don't think any AD would do that. It would be a notable backslide and he would need to prove himself the following year. Two years like that and he would likely get fired.

If Stoops was at Nebraska, 4-8 may get him fired, even after coming off a 9 win season. But, Riley did not enter the history of UK and the dumpster fire at UK when he took the Nebraska job. I just don't think any AD at UK is going to pretend they are at Bama or Nebraska or Michigan.

I don't think Stoops is going to go 4-8, so this discussion is about as silly as it gets, which was kind of my point about the buyout criticism in June. But, should he go 4-8, I don't see him getting fired.

Now, why not talk about what happens if he wins 9-10 games?
If we some how pull off 9 10 wins I gotta believe recruiting explodes.

Reactions: jauk11
Ask any coach in the sec if Stoops is doing a good job they all will say yes.

Of course they would say that. They all wailed and gnashed their teeth when Joker was given his release. We might actually hire good coach. ( hey even a blind squirrel stumbles across an acorn now and then. I gotta hope Barney is smarter than a blind squirrel. Right? RIGHT?!?! )

Of course they would say that. They all wailed and gnashed their teeth when Joker was given his release. We might actually hire good coach. ( hey even a blind squirrel stumbles across an acorn now and then. I gotta hope Barney is smarter than a blind squirrel. Right? RIGHT?!?! )
Yea comparing Joker to a guy who took a Mac level roster and won games that makes sense. No comparison between Stoops and Joker.

Brown isn’t a Kentucky Football guy. Transferred to UMASS as a player. If Stoops ever gets fired and we hire Brown and if he has success here, he’ll jump at the first opportunity like he did as a player. And, there's people in here shitting on the program and Stoops but if we do well this year, the same people will act like they've been Mark Stoops' best supporter.
Billy Jack Haskins transferred to URI, But to me he was as Kentucky is Kentucky is

Reactions: brianpoe
Given the returning talent he has, most of the SEC would-he’s had plenty of time to put together a roster and staff to not go backwards-even middle of the road P5 schools would part ways. Our expectations are too low IMO.

Just stop, no program, with the exception of the elites, would have Stoops on the hotseat this year. NONE. It's dumb to say and it's even dumber to say "expectations are too low", anyone with a brain realizes that UK has to build a brand and tradition in football before we start saying that consecutive winning records is unacceptable.

Just stop, no program, with the exception of the elites, would have Stoops on the hotseat this year. NONE. It's dumb to say and it's even dumber to say "expectations are too low", anyone with a brain realizes that UK has to build a brand and tradition in football before we start saying that consecutive winning records is unacceptable.

You apparently have low expectations-you’re part of the problem. Had fans demanded more many years ago this wouldn’t be a problem now. Time to deliver; no more excuses-his team, his staff. Put a product on the field that’s worthy of his top 25 salary.

Last edited:
Time to deliver; no more excuses-his team, his staff. Put a product on the field that’s worthy of his top 25 salary.

Some on here will want to shy away from this expectation for some reason.

It has reached the point and time see if Coach Stoops has the goods in year six to lead a team to greater success with senior leadership, experience and depth that he has recruited.

The foundation has been being built and laid for this type of season and it is time too see the outcome.

As Coach Stoops himself has stated for this year, “It’s time to get the players from good to great” and we will see if he is capable and successful of doing that.

That will not only be telling for this year but obviously for the future as well with him in charge. So there is a lot riding on his and the teams performance for this year.

Last edited:
You apparently have low expectations-you’re part of the problem. Had fans demanded more many years ago this wouldn’t be a problem now. Time to deliver; no more excuses-his team, his staff. Put a product on the field that’s worthy of his top 25 salary.

We have several on here who are good with mediocrity. This is Stoops year to show us if Barney truly f’d up with that one sided contract.

I believe the recruiting is about as good as it's going to get with Stoops, which I believe is good enough to win at a higher level than 7-6.

It's time now to find out if Stoops is able to coach that talent.

We keep talking about talent. We lost three games last year, not because of a lack of talent, but poor coaching mistakes. We have the talent coming back this year to win 8 or 9 games, but our coaches, especially the HC, must not make the mistakes he made last year.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: jnewc2
Nope. No AD would fire Stoops for a 4-8 season without some other issue.
If Stoops goes 4-8 other issues will be found. There will be plenty of folks checking to see if there is a clause violation somewhere to reduce payout. Some of our previous coaching contracts make me hesitant to say this, but I think UK should be clear on past buyouts. IF assistants and coordinators had buyout clauses.

I love NB and I hope when the time comes that he is one of the candidates for this job if his success continues... But, with that being said, what he is doing at Troy has nothing to do with what Stoops success or failure is at UK. That is on Stoops.

I don't think Stoops success at UK has anything to do with Brown's success at Troy, is that what you were trying to say?

LOL

I believe the recruiting is about as good as it's going to get with Stoops, which I believe is good enough to win at a higher level than 7-6.

It's time now to find out if Stoops is able to coach that talent.

How do you judge recruiting? Rivals has never had a Stoops’ class ranked above 9th (once in 2014) in the SEC. I think he has been 10th twice. Average is about 11. Seems, by that standard, he has eclipsed expectations when it comes to excelling with recruits.

How well does Robcat assess Stoops’ recruiting? Have you done a deeper dive than Rivals?

Our offense has been bad at times-defense has been much worse. Teams typically identify with their head coaches strengths/weaknesses. I think we were all expecting the defensive side of the ball to be our strength. We have a ton of returnig players-it’s now or never for Stoops. If he can’t put a quality, displined team on the field this year, he never will.

And, by the way-I’m not saying he has to increase the number of wins, just put a team on the field that looks, acts and plays like we belong in the SEC.

And, by the way-I’m not saying he has to increase the number of wins, just put a team on the field that looks, acts and plays like we belong in the SEC.
Good point and that is not too much to ask. Just look like a football team that belongs and is ready for each snap.

ADVERTISEMENT