ADVERTISEMENT

Does Neal Brown's success at Troy have any impact on Stoops at UK?

Robcatt24

♩♪♫♬♭♮♯°ø؂≠≭
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2005
Neal has it rolling at Troy.

Coming off consecutive double digit win seasons and back to back bowl victories.

In his second season, got Troy ranked in the Top 25, a first for the school and the Sun Belt Conference. Stoops hasn't gotten UK into the Top 25 in 5 seasons.

While Neal is definitely an offensive coach, his Troy teams are strong on defense.

Athlon has all 3 of Troy's defensive units ranked in the top 2 in their preseason unit rankings.

Troy is picked to win their division and play in the Sun Belt championship game.

And there are also the factors of him being a Kentucky boy who played at UK.

Of course, all Stoops has to do is win, and nobody cares what Neal Brown is doing.

Not a Stoops fan-no confidence in him at all. Above average recruiter, poor developer of talent, terrible with game planning and team readiness. Would take Neal Brown tomorrow.
Got a feel’n more people might be of the same opinion if CMS craps the bed this year... Always thought it odd he was only here one year... But it makes more sense as time has gone along.... I don’t know that he’d be interested?

Reactions: matt_man
Neal has it rolling at Troy.

Coming off consecutive double digit win seasons and back to back bowl victories.

In his second season, got Troy ranked in the Top 25, a first for the school and the Sun Belt Conference. Stoops hasn't gotten UK into the Top 25 in 5 seasons.

While Neal is definitely an offensive coach, his Troy teams are strong on defense.

Athlon has all 3 of Troy's defensive units ranked in the top 2 in their preseason unit rankings.

Troy is picked to win their division and play in the Sun Belt championship game.

And there are also the factors of him being a Kentucky boy who played at UK.

Of course, all Stoops has to do is win, and nobody cares what Neal Brown is doing.
I love NB and I hope when the time comes that he is one of the candidates for this job if his success continues... But, with that being said, what he is doing at Troy has nothing to do with what Stoops success or failure is at UK. That is on Stoops.

Reactions: willievic
Brown isn’t a Kentucky Football guy. Transferred to UMASS as a player. If Stoops ever gets fired and we hire Brown and if he has success here, he’ll jump at the first opportunity like he did as a player. And, there's people in here shitting on the program and Stoops but if we do well this year, the same people will act like they've been Mark Stoops' best supporter.

Brown isn’t a Kentucky Football guy. Transferred to UMASS as a player. If Stoops ever gets fired and we hire Brown and if he has success here, he’ll jump at the first opportunity like he did as a player. And, there's people in here shitting on the program and Stoops but if we do well this year, the same people will act like they've been Mark Stoops' best supporter.

Neal played for UK and is from the state. I don’t know how he or any other coach would respond to another opportunity, but I don’t blame Neal for his decisions and don’t accept the premise that he is not a Kentucky football guy.

Although I am not a big fan of Stoops, no way they get rid of him after this season. That buyout from good ole Mitch is his best friend right now.. But I believe this will be a solid season, I am just worried what is going to happen when we lose all of our seniors, Benny, and maybe Landon Young after the season is over. I don't have too much confidence in our 2019 team at the moment. But one step at a time. If we don't win 8+ games with this team, Stoops NEVER will. And I say that with a good bit of confidence. Brohm or Brown would both be homerun hires IMO if Stoops doesn't work out.

Although I am not a big fan of Stoops, no way they get rid of him after this season. That buyout from good ole Mitch is his best friend right now.. But I believe this will be a solid season, I am just worried what is going to happen when we lose all of our seniors, Benny, and maybe Landon Young after the season is over. I don't have too much confidence in our 2019 team at the moment. But one step at a time. If we don't win 8+ games with this team, Stoops NEVER will. And I say that with a good bit of confidence. Brohm or Brown would both be homerun hires IMO if Stoops doesn't work out.
I have to think that the Brohm ship has already sailed as far as we are concerned. I think that his next job will be in place like South Bend or Ann Arbor- and he'll knock it out of the park when that happens.

If you recall there was some mention of Brown as HC when Phillips was fired. Could have been Couch pushing that. It was thought however that he lacked experience and would be a better fit as an OC. The when Stoops was hired Couch definitely intervened on Brown's behalf for the OC job. Anyone paying attention at the time knew Brown was destined to be a HC eventually. When the Troy job, where he had been an asst at one time, popped the fit was perfect. Would he take the UK job? Of course...if you payed him. I think Brown gets a P5 job at season's end and depending where it would be could work against his eventually getting the UK job.

If one of the QBs develop, one of the RBs pan out, and Bowden becomes the player he can become, we could have a solid offense. Year 4 with Gran, also.
We also have some promising guys on defense that will be juniors and seniors, particularly our d-line should be deep and more talented than we've seen in years. There really shouldn't be any drop-off in talent at the other positions either. LB: Davis, Watson, Oats; were hearing good stuff from most of the whole unit. We've been getting highly rated DBs since day 1.

If one of the QBs develop, one of the RBs pan out, and Bowden becomes the player he can become, we could have a solid offense. Year 4 with Gran, also.
We also have some promising guys on defense that will be juniors and seniors, particularly our d-line should be deep and more talented than we've seen in years. There really shouldn't be any drop-off in talent at the other positions either. LB: Davis, Watson, Oats; were hearing good stuff from most of the whole unit. We've been getting highly rated DBs since day 1.

Our offense has been bad at times-defense has been much worse. Teams typically identify with their head coaches strengths/weaknesses. I think we were all expecting the defensive side of the ball to be our strength. We have a ton of returnig players-it’s now or never for Stoops. If he can’t put a quality, displined team on the field this year, he never will.

Stoops went straight from coordinator at a big time program to HC at a "lesser" P5 program. Brown is taking what I call the more "traditional" approach to becoming a P5 HC. By that I mean you do some "HC learning and resume building" at a smaller school before moving up. Yes, I know there are/have been exceptions (e.g., Franklin at Vandy; Mullen at MSU) but I think most first time HC success stories at P5 schools happen at some fairly well established football program (Richt at GA, Dabo at Clem's Son, Smart at GA et. al).

This is really the first "Brown vs Stoops" discussion I have seen. I think a better way to phrase the subject is if you are a middle of the road P5 school (e.g., AR, MS, Baylor, CO, MD, VA, and many others) and looking for a new coach, who brings the better resume to the table, Brown or Stoops? 2018 results may answer that question.

For what little it is worth, I think another big year at Troy will clearly put Brown in some of the inevitable P5 openings that happen every year. Conversely I think Stoops needs at least an 8-5 season to avoid some rational hot seat talk in Lexington. JMO

Peace

Stoops went straight from coordinator at a big time program to HC at a "lesser" P5 program. Brown is taking what I call the more "traditional" approach to becoming a P5 HC. By that I mean you do some "HC learning and resume building" at a smaller school before moving up. Yes, I know there are/have been exceptions (e.g., Franklin at Vandy; Mullen at MSU) but I think most first time HC success stories at P5 schools happen at some fairly well established football program (Richt at GA, Dabo at Clem's Son, Smart at GA et. al).

This is really the first "Brown vs Stoops" discussion I have seen. I think a better way to phrase the subject is if you are a middle of the road P5 school (e.g., AR, MS, Baylor, CO, MD, VA, and many others) and looking for a new coach, who brings the better resume to the table, Brown or Stoops? 2018 results may answer that question.

For what little it is worth, I think another big year at Troy will clearly put Brown in some of the inevitable P5 openings that happen every year. Conversely I think Stoops needs at least an 8-5 season to avoid some rational hot seat talk in Lexington. JMO

Peace
Why would Stoops leave a rising program to go to a worse conference? I don't get your point. UK is already a middle tier p5 school why would Stoops leave for any of those schools.

Peace
There is a decent chance that jobs will be open at Texas Tech (if the coach doesn't step things up) or Kansas State (if Snyder retires). Either one would be a great fit for Brown after next year. Also, although Arkansas made a solid hire last year, they should have thrown everything they had at Brown.

There is a decent chance that jobs will be open at Texas Tech (if the coach doesn't step things up) or Kansas State (if Snyder retires). Either one would be a great fit for Brown after next year. Also, although Arkansas made a solid hire last year, they should have thrown everything they had at Brown.
I think LSU/Auburn can be added to that list depending on how this season unfolds.

Why would Stoops leave a rising program to go to a worse conference? I don't get your point. UK is already a middle tier p5 school why would Stoops leave for any of those schools.
I said P5 programs. And the "point" was not whether he would leave UK but would he get any "opportunities" to do so. How would his UK resume stack up against Brown's at Troy? Would such programs be more interested in him or Brown?

Peace

Neal Brown gets on a lot of radar screens each year.
Troy has a good tradition. Some guy came outta there that did PRETTY good for the Bears.
WKU has become another 'cradle of coaches' where guys hone their management chops (or rehab a rep) then move on.

Every year is interesting with who becomes the next 'gotta have him' coach.

Got a feel’n more people might be of the same opinion if CMS craps the bed this year... Always thought it odd he was only here one year... But it makes more sense as time has gone along.... I don’t know that he’d be interested?
Some people think he was only here one year because he was offered a head coaching gig. I don't know if that had anything to do with it :sunglasses:

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Neal Brown gets on a lot of radar screens each year.
Troy has a good tradition. Some guy came outta there that did PRETTY good for the Bears.
WKU has become another 'cradle of coaches' where guys hone their management chops (or rehab a rep) then move on.

Every year is interesting with who becomes the next 'gotta have him' coach.
Have we said Leach yet? :joy:

I said P5 programs. And the "point" was not whether he would leave UK but would he get any "opportunities" to do so. How would his UK resume stack up against Brown's at Troy? Would such programs be more interested in him or Brown?

Peace
Yes every other P5 is worse than the sec.

This entire post is wrong.

Reactions: Blouman
I have to think that the Brohm ship has already sailed as far as we are concerned. I think that his next job will be in place like South Bend or Ann Arbor- and he'll knock it out of the park when that happens.

That's a huge jump to make. I doubt either of those 2 will be his next stop.

You've got to think if the day comes where we want to call Neal back home he'll listen, but we also need to have the program in solid standing when that time comes. I don't think he'll come here over other P5 jobs if we are back to 2-4 win seasons. He came with Stoops partly because he knew it could stair step him to a HC gig and partly because he knew what he was getting into. I don't see him wanting to take on what Stoops took on.

And I'm not suggesting we're headed there. In a perfect world Stoops has us moving upward still and gets a bigger call and we go hire Neal. Troy is a good gig and that conference plays tough ball.

Anyway all just fun hyperbole.

Stoops is not on the hot seat, regardless of you wishes. The buyout has nothing to do with his job security.

Reactions: fabcat
Obviously you don't know anything about Neal Brown and why he left Kentucky as a player. You also must not realize he is from Danville. Neal Brown IS the guy to take Kentucky to the top - if we ever decide we need to go a different direction. As of now, we have a head coach, and I'm not like the liberals wanting someone to fail so we can get another person here. I will stand behind Coach Stoops, even though he definitely has his issues, until he can't get the job done. Let's see where we are the first 6 games of the season. If we aren't 3-3 at a minimum - then we are in big trouble in my opinion. To be 3-3 we have to beat one of Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi State or Texas A & M - but that is what it is going to take to keep the program moving forward too.

Go Big Blue!

Obviously you did not understand my post.

Peace

How is Brown’s approach more traditional. The coaches at USCjr, UGA, UF, USC, Oregon, A&M, Arizona, LSU, Texas Tech, UCLA, and others all went from assistants to being P5 HCs. What is the “traditional” approach?

Obviously I didn't. I thought you were saying Neal left Kentucky without a reason. And that Neal wasn't from Kentucky. He didn't get his degree from UK - but everything else about Neal is very Kentucky. You know what they call someone who goes to UK but doesn't get a degree- an Alumni!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: sluggercatfan
ADVERTISEMENT