ADVERTISEMENT

Does Madness need to be revamped?

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
KSR made this point on the radio today, and it made me think more about it.

On the whole, Madness is a lot of build up. But we get player intro's, a Cal speech, a Drake cameo and 10 minutes of scrimmaging.

When I was a kid, it seems like there were drunk contests, shooting contests, etc.

By multiple accounts, some of the recruits in attendance looked bored.

What are some ways to liven it up?

Reactions: KYNC89
Change your perspective. I enjoy it.

It's an event that isn't exciting aside from the hype and fun of seeing a new team and new players. Prolonged scrimmaging with no structure or flow is boring. A dunk contest with misses and multiple attempts is boring. Anything in an exhibition environment like that isn't going to lend itself to drama and fun. It just loses structure and bogs down.

If you're just looking at it from a pure basketball entertainment standpoint, you're going to always be disappointed because that isn't what it's about.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cal speak a few more minutes, have a former player say a few words, maybe have Drake perform a song if he's going to be there (I understand the logistical issues of this) . But if you want the crowd to be wild for two hours over an introductory practice, you'll just never find the recipe for that. The event doesn't fit that expectation.

I mean, actual *games* in Rupp have a portion of the crowd that has that bored look during them. Madness is as good as it's ever been.

If it is going to be geared toward the fan base, then it's unlikely it will change much, until the fans stop selling it out.

If it's going to be geared toward the recruits, I agree it needs to be shortened and include more player involvement(dunk contest, skills drills, shooting contests).

I’m all for a good drunk contest.
I would win that every year...

HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldzUvMjAxNTA1MTUvNTIwODcyNC9zaGFsYW1hci10YWtlLXRoYXQtdG8tdGhlLWJhbmstby5naWYlog.gif

Reactions: Col. Angus
Quit sharing the night with the women's team. That's why I quit watching it on TV.

There, I said what most people are thinking.

No, you said what you are thinking.

I don't want to frighten you, but you can actually use your remote to watch any show for any duration. You can change the channel back and forth if only portions of something interest you. Keep that between us.

I definitely don't have a big issue with the womens segment. The MM part is particularly a bit entertaining. However, the cheerleading bit should be put on a shelf. Not sure many tune in for that. Get rid of that and add in some mens skills contests.

On the whole, Madness is a lot of build up. But we get player intro's, a Cal speech, a Drake cameo and 10 minutes of scrimmaging.

When I was a kid, it seems like there were drunk contests, shooting contests, etc.

I'm usually not that enthusiastic about BBM but thought this was one if the better ones. Always look forward to the Blue-White game more though.

Reactions: KyCatFan
I actually thought it was awesome. I don't think it needs to be revamped at all. The only thing I might do is try to bring the football team into it some where. We pretty much bring every other squad into it so why not have some video introduction and bring the team out for about 15 minutes? The whole thing has evolved into a pep rally anyway.

Ever since Nerlens almost broke his back we have slowly pulled back on our players doing anything but glorified layup routines for this event. I'm fine with that. Intro the individual players for the fans to put a face to the name, let Cal do his State of the Union speech, bring out the celeb guest and call it a night.

You should always think about revamping it.

That’s how you stay front of everyone else.

That drunk contest is already going on with the fans.

I don't mind the women's or the cheerleading. I think both should be recognized but I would just like to see more player interviews, former players talk, more swaggy cal, maybe some half court shots by crowd or even players, t-shirt cannons. think more half time show than scrimmage

The Blue/White scrimmage is a better event if you want to see basketball.

It's why I laugh at the people who go nuts over BBM. It's a glorified dog and pony show. Basically, to me, it's like watching the trailer for a movie you really want to see but won't be out for a few weeks.

The more information that's available about the team/players the more watered-down BBM becomes.

That isn't anybody's fault, it's just the nature of the thing. Back when we didn't have as much behind-the-scenes info, Midnight Madness was unbelievable. It felt like a true beginning. It's inexplicable now, but I can remember a time not that long ago when I didn't even know all the players. I remember asking somebody who Gerald Fitch was.

When that's the case it's far easier to be awed. Now we know everything down to what the players' favorite breakfast cereal is. It doesn't feel like a beginning so much as a continuation of what we kind of pay attention to every day.

To me, part of its about UK pride and a recognition to our fan base. The other 80% is about the UK brand and recruiting.

The more information that's available about the team/players the more watered-down BBM becomes.

That isn't anybody's fault, it's just the nature of the thing. Back when we didn't have as much behind-the-scenes info, Midnight Madness was unbelievable. It felt like a true beginning. It's inexplicable now, but I can remember a time not that long ago when I didn't even know all the players. I remember asking somebody who Gerald Fitch was.

When that's the case it's far easier to be awed. Now we know everything down to what the players' favorite breakfast cereal is. It doesn't feel like a beginning so much as a continuation of what we kind of pay attention to every day.
Great point and I agree. Madness used to be the first time you would see the incoming freshman unless you saw them play in person at the high school level.

Overall, as others pointed out, it's a pep rally. The Blue-White is a much better venue to actually watch basketball.

Reactions: ganner918
Love the women's team debut and the cheer leading squad show. They have won like 25 championships.....

What about playing a dynamic video with the history of Kentucky basketball and bring back stars from the past to be a part of the celebration?

Show a cool video of all the players that have been or are currently are in the NBA. Have one of those players give a brief talk or host the night....

Give away prizes! This always makes folks happy. Autographed balls, jerseys, shoes, towels, etc.....Three point shooting contest, half court shooting contest, you get the point

More organized chants for recruits.....this should be more prominent. If UNC can get by with paper classes for 26 years, this should be a no brainer...

I definitely don't have a big issue with the womens segment. The MM part is particularly a bit entertaining. However, the cheerleading bit should be put on a shelf. Not sure many tune in for that. Get rid of that and add in some mens skills contests.

:boxing: Oh really!

I just wish they'd mix it up a bit. Every year since Cal has been here, it has basically been the same old routine. It has grown quite stale. I didn't even bother watching this years version because I knew what they were going to do beforehand.

I agree......if u are gonna have Drake there, make him perform. Judging by the reaction of the crowd when he came out, him performing would have been awesome.

Get rid of the fluff or don't invite the recruits. If I were 16 or 17, I'd be bored too. In fact, it was not that exciting for me since it seems that actual playing time for the kids has diminished over the last few years. Lots of build up for just a few short minutes of seeing them run and make a few dunks.

Have Cal put the guys through a practice very similar to the ones in the Craft Center. Do some drills where he can explain why the drills are important. Feed the crowd some insights on what they want to accomplish early to set the stage for further seasoning as practices get closer to actual games. If Cal says anything, it should be about this new crop of players we don't yet know. He should personalize it more. I'd say keep the women involved--the audience is captive yes but should support the women's team and can by sitting through some of their practice as well.

So, yes, BBM deserves a makeover.

Reactions: Jazzycat
I actually thought it was awesome. I don't think it needs to be revamped at all. The only thing I might do is try to bring the football team into it some where. We pretty much bring every other squad into it so why not have some video introduction and bring the team out for about 15 minutes? The whole thing has evolved into a pep rally anyway.

This isn't all aimed at you OP. Just consolidating some of my thoughts in this part. I think this was one of the better BBM's I've been to. It is basically a pep rally and has always been one. This is about basketball and should only be about basketball and the things that support basketball.

The men have a team and the women have a team. They also have the cheerleaders at the games so I have no problem with them performing as well. It is only like a 5 minute routine. My daughter is a cheerleader and does some tumbling classes as well so it is great to see the best doing what she does.

The football team already has a fan day and with the season halfway over, I don't think it needs to be apart of a basketball pep rally. Keep it mainly about basketball and throw in a little filler like always between the different teams and it is just fine.

Get rid of the fluff or don't invite the recruits. If I were 16 or 17, I'd be bored too. In fact, it was not that exciting for me since it seems that actual playing time for the kids has diminished over the last few years. Lots of build up for just a few short minutes of seeing them run and make a few dunks.

Have Cal put the guys through a practice very similar to the ones in the Craft Center. Do some drills where he can explain why the drills are important. Feed the crowd some insights on what they want to accomplish early to set the stage for further seasoning as practices get closer to actual games. If Cal says anything, it should be about this new crop of players we don't yet know. He should personalize it more. I'd say keep the women involved--the audience is captive yes but should support the women's team and can by sitting through some of their practice as well.

So, yes, BBM deserves a makeover.

Again this isn't all directed at you OP.

The recruits don't even really come out until right before the team does so that is a moot point. They have them doing other things before coming out. Probably touring the facilities and whatnot. At least they aren't out there watching the coaches and players do lame skits like at other schools. They also probably stay the night and watch practice in person in the morning before heading home to get a better feel for the inner workings of the basketball program.

When they come out, they get to see the level of excitement with the player introductions, hear a speech that is pretty much directed to them and their families, and see a quick little pickup game. They even get to meet former players in the NBA if they are available and sometimes meet other celebrities. If they want to see drills they can watch our pro day. If they want to see an organized practice, they can watch our Blue/White game. Both are on TV along with BBM and you probably don't see that much exposure for any other team out there. There might be a little less basketball then in the past, but Cal had said he puts them through 2 practices the next day. You don't want to get players injured from overdoing things do you?

I'm curious how many people that criticize BBM actually see it in person? If you go expecting a fun little pep rally and to get your first glimpse of the new players in person, then you get what you expect. If you want more than that and less of the other stuff just go to the Blue/White game instead.

Id like to see the dunk contest brought back, especially now since we have amazing athletes year in and year out. Heck, Diallo almost went between the legs in the scrimmage! Let Sam, Kenny, Rex, etc be judges.

Add a 3pt shooting contest and a skills challenge. Let the men and women pair up or even compete against each other. Have ex players be honorary coaches. Just mix it up every year.

I may be in the minority, but the whole MM buildup and dance thing is beyond played out.

ADVERTISEMENT