ADVERTISEMENT

Does lifting weights hurt your shot

Feb 14, 2018
I can’t see how it couldnt. As you get stronger it has to. I would like to know how our program compares to other top schools. Do we ever have guys slumping at the end of the year? Wonder if Curry lifts. So does transforming your body help you play better. Ask PJ

No. Only affects your shot right after you lift. Look at AD. Gained all that weight and his shot is still pure. Lack of reps is the only component to your shot getting worse.

No, if you're a ball player, you'd be working on your shot at the same pace as the muscle growth. A shooter needs strong legs anyway. Obviously, this is JMO, but makes sense to me.

Reactions: IrishMike409
There's no way for it to if you're shooting often enough to be a good shooter in the first place.

If you stop practicing for a year to lift weights, sure, but that's as much because you stopped practicing for a year as it is because you got stronger.

Now, if you're injured and rehab and all that, then getting stronger as part of the rehab training might cause your shot to be off, but again, that's because you haven't been shooting.

If you lift and shoot daily, it's all part of the same process. Your body adjusts as you go along. You don't suddenly wake up 15% stronger and have to adjust your shot.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yes it can if you do not lift properly, try to out up shots after lifting or do not allow your body enough time to recover.

I can’t see how it couldnt. As you get stronger it has to. I would like to know how our program compares to other top schools. Do we ever have guys slumping at the end of the year? Wonder if Curry lifts. So does transforming your body help you play better. Ask PJ

Not sure what the weight lifting regiment is now but we were only allowed to lift 70% of our max weight during the season.

Steph Curry had chronic ankle injuries, and worked extensively on his glutes and hamstrings to relieve the issues he had there. Afterwards he won MVP, and 3 world titles in 4 years.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I bodybuild as a hobby (not really all that big) And anecdotally I can say that putting on size and muscle doesn’t hurt your shot...speed and quickness though is a different story if you’re not careful.

Certain types of lifting definitely affect your shot. Increasing muscle size and slow twitch muscles will reduce flexibility in the shoulders. It can also reduce elevation on the jump shot. The right type of lifting could increase shooting ability by enhancing stability and increasing endurance in the shoulder without decreasing flexibility.

I lifted all through college and it didn't affect my shot. Now if I played right after lifting it would have been brick city.

I think if your spaghetti armed with a good shot leave it alone because there will be some needed adaptation to added muscle.

Depends on how you build up. It will hurt if you put on bulk muscle like body builders do because you will gain weight and lose flexibility. If you put on lean muscle mass then it will help your shot and every other phase of your game.

I believe it will. I was the number two shooter in state of Kentucky years ago. Never lifted a lot of weight but was still physically strong with exercises not weights.

Hurts my balls.

Lift and get as strong as you can.
Joe B. was one of the first coaches to include weight lifting as part of the training regime. For those of you who remember Danny Hall, he couldn't bench 100 pounds when he first came to UK. I had known Danny since I was 11 and he said that the weight training under Coach Hall was harder than anything else.

Certain types of lifting definitely affect your shot. Increasing muscle size and slow twitch muscles will reduce flexibility in the shoulders. It can also reduce elevation on the jump shot. The right type of lifting could increase shooting ability by enhancing stability and increasing endurance in the shoulder without decreasing flexibility.
If a player is used to lifting, then it shouldn't hurt your shot unless you go right out after a lifting session and try to shoot baskets. These days just about everyone playing college basketball lifts weights.

I bodybuild as a hobby (not really all that big) And anecdotally I can say that putting on size and muscle doesn’t hurt your shot...speed and quickness though is a different story if you’re not careful.
There are different weight workout routines and it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For example, most don't realize that sprinters lift and are insanely strong. Lots of dead lifts, squats and power cleans for explosive power.

If a player is used to lifting, then it shouldn't hurt your shot unless you go right out after a lifting session and try to shoot baskets. These days just about everyone playing college basketball lifts weights.

That’s false, being bulky will reduce flexibility in the shoulder. I played college basketball and now power lift. I promise you, losing flexibility in the shoulder negatively affects your jump shot. If you lift for muscle endurance with full range of motion, as almost all college programs do, it can improve your jump shot by stabilizing the shoulder.

That’s false, being bulky will reduce flexibility in the shoulder. I played college basketball and now power lift. I promise you, losing flexibility in the shoulder negatively affects your jump shot. If you lift for muscle endurance with full range of motion, as almost all college programs do, it can improve your jump shot by stabilizing the shoulder.
Who said I was talking about being bulky? Every sport requires a different kind of lifting. I never once said that basketball players should bulk up.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Don't know but excessive self flagellation seems to affect my beer pong performance.

Reactions: cropper1
No. Lifting weights doesn’t effect shooting as long as you shoot regularly. It only effects shooting immediately after training until. After 20-30 shots you’re good again. We lifted 4 days a week in college during the off-season/preseason, even 2-3 days a week during season. Weight training for athletic competition isn’t like bodybuilding.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
Absolutely not. By contrast not lifting with your legs can really hurt it. Shooting is a lot more about footwork, release and legs. It’s not about curls and tripcep presses.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
No. Lifting weights doesn’t effect shooting as long as you shoot regularly. It only effects shooting immediately after training until. After 20-30 shots you’re good again. We lifted 4 days a week in college during the off-season/preseason, even 2-3 days a week during season. Weight training for athletic competition isn’t like bodybuilding.
That was my point exactly in a previous post. BTW, when you lifted during the season, when did you do your leg work? Right after games or 2-3 days before?

That was my point exactly in a previous post. BTW, when you lifted during the season, when did you do your leg work? Right after games or 2-3 days before?
Depended on when our next game was. Most of the time the day after a game was 2-3 days before the next. Most leg work in season was full body movements like cleans, snatches, or unilateral movements like body weighted split squats or lunges. Weight was kept light with lots of reps for muscle endurance. 36-48 hours was usually enough to recover fully for anyone.

Depended on when our next game was. Most of the time the day after a game was 2-3 days before the next. Most leg work in season was full body movements like cleans, snatches, or unilateral movements like body weighted split squats or lunges. Weight was kept light with lots of reps for muscle endurance. 36-48 hours was usually enough to recover fully for anyone.
I thought that was the case. I still play competitive sports and will only do leg work two days prior to a game.

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
I thought that was the case. I still play competitive sports and will only do leg work two days prior to a game.
I don’t play competitively at all anymore but I jumped on the CrossFit Cult and do leg work almost every day. lol. Good luck with your training and competing.

No not really, I lifted all the time while playing. Really helped my game. As u get stronger u need a lot of reps so you won't overshoot the ball. Squats, lunges etc will help with your D stance, positioning and jumping

Based on what I have researched about it the only universal rule of lifting and playing is not to do legs the day before the game. Teams lift all season long. It's a huge advantage or these guys wouldn't become huge once the get in the NBA. I don't think too many guys are doing grueling weight sessions on game days unless BCG is your coach.

Based on what I have researched about it the only universal rule of lifting and playing is not to do legs the day before the game. Teams lift all season long. It's a huge advantage or these guys wouldn't become huge once the get in the NBA. I don't think too many guys are doing grueling weight sessions on game days unless BCG is your coach.
Interesting that you mention BCG as I always wondered if that idiot had his guys doing weight workouts with legs the day before a game.

ADVERTISEMENT