ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone besides me think...

The media seems to think we, UGA, are the favorites. I think offensively our potential is very high even with the loss of Chubb and Sony. My reasoning for this is I thought Swift was our second best back in 17 behind Sony, Chubb hasn't been the same back since the injury. Holyfield is good enough to start for half the teams in the SEC. Fromm should be better in the passing game.

I think we will have some issues on defense because of all the experience we lost, especially early in the year.

Playing Carolina early concerns me, they look at us as their biggest conference rival and circle our game on the calender. It's a game we can easily lose if we don't play well.

After mid season we can be pretty good, but it might be too late. In 19, when we return 17-18 starters and 35+ of the 2 deep we will be tough to beat, 18 could be a rebuild year.

We've came close the last couple of years. This years team has more depth than we have had for decades. Go down the names on the roster and you see a lot of really talented studs with a lot of experience and good talent in back of them. So by the numbers yes we can win the East but we could finish 6-6 too. In five months will know for sure.

Too many question marks on defense...particularly up front against the run. Less than 10% chance of winning the East IMHO. Offensively I think we could be better.

To answer the question, No I do not think we can this year with UGA peaking, and where we finish will be a direct result of the QB play. If we get surprisingly good QB play then we can finish second ahead of USC IMO. if we get about what we exect QB play, then we finish in the middle, and if we get worse than hoped for play we finish just ahead of Vandy. It's that simple to me.

UGA is clearly the class of the East but it's easy to forget just two years ago we outplayed them and had the game in our hands and should have one in a game that we thought we were better. They got a lot better at the QB position and that can make a big difference.

UGA is a clear, clear favorite.

Vandy is likely the clear bottom dweller.

If anyone has an opinion on the middle teams, I won't argue. I really think all the other teams could end up in any order.
I think that is pretty good overview of things. Vandy, well, it's Vandy...and no Franklin. I don't follow JawJaw but I think they have huge personnel losses, offense and defense. However they are still a decided #1 pick in the SECE.

They certainly bring in a couple of high profile recruiting classes. However, as a gross generalization I think the thing we call "experience" means more on the offensive side than the defensive side where sheer athletic talent (i.e., size, speed, strength) can take you a long way. I think the only question there is can they run the ball this year as well as they did last year (#9 nationally topped mainly by true "option" teams). JMO

Peace

Can we? Sure. Will we? Probably not. If, and I say if, our D guys with NFL aspirations play like NFL draft picks, we get surprisingly good QB play, and UGA loses at least 2 games then yes we can.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Would love to see it, but my Magic 8-Ball says “I don’t think so”
technology-8_ball-magic_8_ball-8_ball-technician-technological_advance-dcrn1509_low.jpg

...we can win the East this season?

I would like to limit my answer to your question to the headline:

"Does anyone besides me think-------"

The answer, unfortunately in a lot of cases is, no, they don't. lol

You just never know if a unknown QB might blow up and led a team beyond expectations.

If UK gets surprise play out of the QB position like they did from Snell.....who knows what might happen.

Honestly, even with below average QB play we could’ve won 9-10 games last year. SJ actually played pretty well in both games & we SHOULD’VE beaten Ole Miss & UF if not for some egregious coaching blunders. And, I believe we would’ve beaten NW had Snell not been ejected. We lost all 3 games by a combined 5 points. So, even with below average play from the QB position we were THAT close to winning 10 games.

Surely we’ll get more production out of whomever the QB is this year & we have most of our 2-deep returning on both sides of the ball. But, as everyone knows, the East has been way down the past few seasons & should be better this year. So, we’ll likely need MUCH improved QB play just to stay around the 6-7 win mark. But, I think we have enough talent & experience returning to take the next step & win 8-9 games if one of the QBs really takes off & the coaches can stay out of their own way.

To answer the question, No I do not think we can this year with UGA peaking, and where we finish will be a direct result of the QB play. If we get surprisingly good QB play then we can finish second ahead of USC IMO. if we get about what we exect QB play, then we finish in the middle, and if we get worse than hoped for play we finish just ahead of Vandy. It's that simple to me.

UGA is clearly the class of the East but it's easy to forget just two years ago we outplayed them and had the game in our hands and should have one in a game that we thought we were better. They got a lot better at the QB position and that can make a big difference.
And so far looks like MUCH better coaching.

For UK to finish 1st in the East, Stoops would have to out-coach / out-scheme most of the teams on our schedule. I just don't have faith in him doing that.

I think we're looking at a 7-5 / 6-6 type of season...3rd or 4th in the East.

I think that is pretty good overview of things. Vandy, well, it's Vandy...and no Franklin. I don't follow JawJaw but I think they have huge personnel losses, offense and defense. However they are still a decided #1 pick in the SECE.

They certainly bring in a couple of high profile recruiting classes. However, as a gross generalization I think the thing we call "experience" means more on the offensive side than the defensive side where sheer athletic talent (i.e., size, speed, strength) can take you a long way. I think the only question there is can they run the ball this year as well as they did last year (#9 nationally topped mainly by true "option" teams). JMO

Peace

Surprisingly.being able to run the ball as well as last year isn't something that concerns me. Swift is a very talented back, one of the best in the conference, Holyfield could start for several teams in the conference and likely to get passed by one of the frosh backs behind an OL that returns 4 starters, another who started 6 games a couple of frosh who are pushing for snaps, may not rush for 3400+ yards again, but average won't be asked to.

I think we have chance at, but given our past and Georgia's surge not likely. I would just be happy beating Florida this year, but yet again don't think it will happen. I've been a fan long enough to not expect it.

If they beat UF in the Swamp I think the rest of the SEC takes notice that they could be undefeated rolling into College Station.

You just never know if a unknown QB might blow up and led a team beyond expectations.

If UK gets surprise play out of the QB position like they did from Snell.....who knows what might happen.
Yeah, I'm hopeful Wilson is that guy...he certainly has the athleticism and the arm. Does he have the accuracy and the intangibles? We shall see. Maybe Gunnar has upside as well. You don't know till stuff gets real...

Reactions: sluggercatfan
If they beat UF in the Swamp I think the rest of the SEC takes notice that they could be undefeated rolling into College Station.

I think they could be undefeated going into the SEC championship game.

And so far looks like MUCH better coaching.

Another not so subtle "FAAR THE COACHES" post., one of hundreds.

Here are the total four stars signed by UK the past four classes: 13.

Here are the total four stars signed by Georgia the past four years: 50

Oh, and you must have heard about those truly elite FIVE stars, usually among the top 35 in the nation,

UK ONE, Georgia FIFTEEN. IN ADDITION TO THE FOUR STARS.

Do you think that might have some minor effect on our coaches record and how you perceive them? But keep your agenda up, I'm sure you are having some minor effect-------hurting our recruiting, maybe you will succeed in three or four years, meanwhile you are hurting the talent level we have for the next top five football coach mitch hires.

It is what it is, Stoops has improved our recruiting a great deal, he started out with a program that your hero had not only driven into the ground, he drove it underground.

I have to admire your persistence, if not your intelligence.

Last edited:
Not winning the sec scoring 23/24ppg.

And he probably isn't scoring a lot more than that with a two star QB. Love Smitty but------

Wilson a four star out of high school, Hoak a four star per ESPN, Clarke possibly more raw talent than both of them. An offense that could average a four star if they would only kick Snell off the team, lol.

I think we will be better, not to your Bama like expectations, but a lot better.

And Georgia, FIFTY four star commits the past four years, plus FIFTEEN five stars to our one, you need to get off your high horse, UK is still trying to overcome the effects of the CONSECUTIVE two win seasons your hero led us to.

And oh, no UK isn't going to win the SEC with 13 four star and ONE five star in the past four years when the competition has FIFTY four star and FIFTEEN five star commits. But your "FAAR THE COACHES" digs might be having an effect.

A negative one.

Last edited:
Another not so subtle "FAAR THE COACHES" post., one of hundreds.

Here are the total four stars signed by UK the past four classes: 13.

Here are the total four stars signed by Georgia the past four years: 50

Oh, and you must have heard about those truly elite FIVE stars, usually among the top 35 in the nation,

UK ONE, Georgia FIFTEEN. IN ADDITION TO THE FOUR STARS.

Do you think that might have some minor effect on our coaches record and how you perceive them? But keep your agenda up, I'm sure you are having some minor effect-------hurting our recruiting, maybe you will succeed in three or four years, meanwhile you are hurting the talent level we have for the next top five football coach mitch hires.

It is what it is, Stoops has improved our recruiting a great deal, he started out with a program that your hero had not only driven into the ground, he drove it underground.

I have to admire your persistence, if not your intelligence.
Maybe the staff should sign more 5 star recruits.

Reactions: BlueTick2
ADVERTISEMENT