ADVERTISEMENT

Do you consider Made in America when purchasing a car?

-87 Mustang coupe street car
-89 Mustang GT race car
-89 Ford F-150 I’m finishing restoration on
-02 Ford HD F150 lowered and modded truck
-03 Mustang Cobra stock
-06 Lincoln town Car daily driver
-15 Ford F-150 supercrew daily driver

Daughter has a 07 Ford Fusion as a starter car.

The woman drives a Buick Enclave.

I probably lean more towards domestics.
Buy them now. While they last.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/26/for...us-car-business-and-gm-is-not-far-behind.html

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
The reason I considered and bought one to start was because the old guy I car pooled with swore by them. He was driving a Golf that had over 400K on it and it ticked right along. The Jetta was a lemon. The last time the fuel pump tore up, they loaned us a Golf GTI, which was actually a fun vehicle to drive. When I went back to the dealer to turn it in and get the Jetta, the salesman told me I should just trade for that GTI. I told him the only way I'd take the GTI was if they gave the ****ing thing to me free and clear, and then I'd go somewhere else and trade it.
You're right about the Golf. I'd forgotten that my papaw drove a diesel Golf for work commute. That car was around for a long time.

People never mention that FCA only make 3 cars and their platforms are ancient. I'm not going to count the Fiats because they barely qualify as cars.
Wife's cousin bought a Grand Cherokee and traded in a newer Maxima. My guess is she did that because I bought the misses a Forester. I don't know that I make that trade although people love the Jeeps.

It wasn't FCA then but I was burned by Dodge once. Never again. Got a buddy that loves his 3500 Hemi Diesel despite the bed rusting. Every Dodge truck I see seems to have a rusting bed. My cousin just bought a 2500 also to pull his trailer. I guess it does the job well but I don't get it unless they're just cheaper. He's always had Chevy's.

Wife's cousin bought a Grand Cherokee and traded in a newer Maxima. My guess is she did that because I bought the misses a Forester. I don't know that I make that trade although people love the Jeeps.

It wasn't FCA then but I was burned by Dodge once. Never again. Got a buddy that loves his 3500 Hemi Diesel despite the bed rusting. Every Dodge truck I see seems to have a rusting bed. My cousin just bought a 2500 also to pull his trailer. I guess it does the job well but I don't get it unless they're just cheaper. He's always had Chevy's.

There isn’t a Hemi diesel. The Ram has a Cummins Diesel engine.
People buy them because they’re damn good trucks. Never seen a rusted bed in one.

I'd like to stick with good ole USA but Chrysler and GM let me down... badly.

Both had to have trannys replaced under 100k miles... that's completely unacceptable for the cost of those vehicles (the Chrysler LHS and Buick Enclave).

Also, '07 Vette that needed new shocks on the front end ($2000) after only 50k.

Had a crappy Town and Country... replaced by an early model Jeep Grand Chero which was great- 110k no problems.

Finally wised up and bot a Ford Expedition which was perfect for its 5 year run.

Now? Mercedes E350 and VW Eon. No problems in 5 years.

This "US vs foreign" carried over into my motorcycle purchase last year as well: bot a Yamaha instead of a Harley.

Keeping score:

Chrysler: 1 great, 2 bad
Ford: 1 great
GM: 2 bad
Mercedes: 1 great
VW: 1 great

Edit: I forgot about the Hummer H3 that my daughter now drives. Best SUV I've owned: 90k and no problems, drives, brakes, and handles GREAT for an SUV.

Last edited:
I'm off GM & Chrysler ever since Obama & unions screwed their bondholders in '09 - the people providing their operating capital, not profit takers - & took their bonds'value to fund those pensions. I'm totally done as long as I live.
Agreed. If something happens to this Silverado, I won’t buy another Chevy

I'm off GM & Chrysler ever since Obama & unions screwed their bondholders in '09 - the people providing their operating capital, not profit takers - & took their bonds'value to fund those pensions. I'm totally done as long as I live.
Revisionist history strikes again.

GW Bush approved the $25 billion dollar Auto Bailout on 12/19/2008 using TARP funds.

In 2009 Obama and the feds lent GM $30 billion more buying 60% of the company as it went thru bankruptcy. A union health trust took 18% in stock, Canada 12% and bondholders took 10%. It was the ordinary STOCKHOLDERS that lost everything!!!

GMAC actually made taxpayers money ($2 billion) but because of GM and Chrysler, taxpayers lost $10 billion by the time the feds sold all their remaining shares in 2014.

There isn’t a Hemi diesel. The Ram has a Cummins Diesel engine.
People buy them because they’re damn good trucks. Never seen a rusted bed in one.
62493-b8bc7fab8025405d0b1c855f9d3e8021.jpg

d680be1a-d4fb-1031-b743-4c3114d2dee3r.jpg

Now you've seen two. :grimace:

Reactions: jameslee32
We’ve had 2 Dodge Dakotas.....one a ‘93, another a ‘98. Both of them the paint on the hood and cab peeled off in huge flakes.....then rusted. I think Dodge has always had terrible paint durability.

I have owned a Lincoln Navigator, Chevy Tahoe, Ford F-150 and Jeep Grand Cherokee over the years. Also have owned 3 Tacoma's and 2 Tundra's. I never had to put a penny into the Tacoma's or Tundra's other than normal maintenance and upkeep (batteries, tires, etc.). All of the domestic vehicles were trash except the Lincoln Navigator which was a tank. I sold it when the air ride went out and the ass end was about 6 inches higher than the front and bounced like a mother down the road until I spent 2k getting it fixed. That was my only issue but cost enough for me to think twice about getting another one. My 2015 Tahoe has been in the shop over 20 times for various issues, the latest being a AC Condenser unit which cost $900. Evidently there should be a recall but Chevy is too tight to do that so they are going to wait until the government makes them. That's fine, it's the last Chevy I will buy. Take that $900 and shove it up the ole poop shoot, I'm done.

Reactions: ekywildcat
What does that list tell you? How many cars sold in 2017 are going to have 200000 miles on them already? Thats a bit of a misleading article.

I think when talking about topics like this you have to dig deeper.

-if someone says, “I’ve had no issues and I’ve got xxxx miles.” But did they really have “no” issues? A lot of people either misremember or mis-report.

-if someone says, “I’m over xxxxxx miles.” But how’d they get there? You can get a skateboard to go 500,000 miles if you put enough money into it. I know a guy who’s Tacoma passed over 300k miles and he was bragging all over town about having it paid for and having high miles. In reality he probably dumped $5-10k in tune-ups, routine maintenance, and repairs. He would’ve been better off trading it in on a vehicle with lower miles.

-lemons exist FOR ALL manufacturers. Some manufacturers have more than others.

-“I’m gonna keep it till the wheels fall off.” Very few people actually do this. I think the average person keeps a car about 6-7 yrs.......basically getting rid of it shortly after paying it off.

-Avoid “the newest models” and target the older models. The Tundra is a 9,000 yr old design. It feels ancient and not nearly as good as the competition.....all of which have much newer models out. But they’ve already worked the bugs out of the design yrs ago.....it’s a friggin tank that will likely pose no issues. Another example right now is the Chevy Silverado. It’s an all new design for 2019. If you’re gonna buy one, target a 2017 or 2018....because the bugs have been worked out.

Last edited:
What does that list tell you? How many cars sold in 2017 are going to have 200000 miles on them already? Thats a bit of a misleading article.

This list is very typical of what vehicles have been there the last 30+ yrs. Toyota Tacomas, 4Runners, and Tundras are always there. Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/Sierra/Silverados are always up there for GM. F150/Expedition are always up there for Ford. That’s pretty much the top 10 right there. Big vehicles are built to heavier standards as they’re meant to haul and do work (which the majority of the population doesn’t do). It’s usually the reason why a lot of cars don’t make the list. But occasionally you’ll see a certain model sneak up there......the Camry and/or Accord comes to mind. They will often pop into the top 10. This list has the Odyssey slipping in there.

If you roll the dice with these vehicles, you’ll have the highest likelihood of doing well.

On the flip side....
-avoid anything British.....Jag, Land Rover
-avoid FCA if you’re wanting to buy strictly American.

Last edited:
This list is very typical of what vehicles have been there the last 30+ yrs. Toyota Tacomas, 4Runners, and Tundras are always there. Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban/Sierra/Silverados are always up there for GM. F150/Expedition are always up there for Ford. That’s pretty much the top 10 right there. Big ventricles built to heavier standards as they’re meant to haul and do work (which the majority of the population doesn’t do). It’s usually the reason why a lot of cars don’t make the list. But occasionally you’ll see a certain model sneak up there......the Camry and/or Accord comes to mind. They will often pop into the top 10. This list has the Odyssey slipping in there.

If you roll the dice with these vehicles, you’ll have the highest likelihood of doing well.

On the flip side....

The article states that vehicles bought in 2017 with 200000 miles.
How many vehicles bought in 2017 are going to have 200000 miles?

I guess I’ve been lucky, I’ve bought strictly American my entire adult life.
I’ve had issues with a 1996 S-10, could not keep an A/C compressor in it, gas gauge quit working at 60000, u joints went out, and muffler plugged at 75k.
That’s it, I’ve had Fords, Dodges, Chevys and GMC,

My mother in law bought a Ford Explorer in 03 I think that had the engine block crack 6000 miles. My father in law bought a Honda Civic that had to have the tranny replaced at 55000.
I think a lot of these stats are splitting hairs.

I think most vehicles are fine if you take care of them. I had a crappy little Saturn for like 6 years and the only issues were a bad gasket and the belt had to be replaced. I had a Mustang GT with 0 issues in the 2 years I had it. A Mazda 3 with 0 issues in 2 years. Currently my 2011 Kia Sportage has had no issues in 3 1/2 years.

The only vehicles with issues were a 90 Chevy Beretta I had for 9 years and a 76 Chevy Impala I had for 3 1/2 years. The Beretta had issues from when it hit around 75k miles and had issues again when it was over a 100k and then I traded it in. The Impala was a beater (was 15 years old when I got it) and I swear I replaced half the engine in the first 6 months. It at least was easy to work on myself with no experience and only a Chilton's maintenance manual. Most of my cars were between 3 and 5 years old when I bought them.

The article states that vehicles bought in 2017 with 200000 miles.
How many vehicles bought in 2017 are going to have 200000 miles?

I guess I’ve been lucky, I’ve bought strictly American my entire adult life.
I’ve had issues with a 1996 S-10, could not keep an A/C compressor in it, gas gauge quit working at 60000, u joints went out, and muffler plugged at 75k.
That’s it, I’ve had Fords, Dodges, Chevys and GMC,

My mother in law bought a Ford Explorer in 03 I think that had the engine block crack 6000 miles. My father in law bought a Honda Civic that had to have the tranny replaced at 55000.
I think a lot of these stats are splitting hairs.

You’re misinpterting it. It’s not new cars they’re logging. It’s measuring the 13.5 million cars sold in 2017.....and what proportion of them have over 200k. But like I said, these types of studies come out all the time......and the top 10-15 vehicles don’t change much.

I think most vehicles are fine if you take care of them. I had a crappy little Saturn for like 6 years and the only issues were a bad gasket and the belt had to be replaced. I had a Mustang GT with 0 issues in the 2 years I had it. A Mazda 3 with 0 issues in 2 years. Currently my 2011 Kia Sportage has had no issues in 3 1/2 years.

The only vehicles with issues were a 90 Chevy Beretta I had for 9 years and a 76 Chevy Impala I had for 3 1/2 years. The Beretta had issues from when it hit around 75k miles and had issues again when it was over a 100k and then I traded it in. The Impala was a beater (was 15 years old when I got it) and I swear I replaced half the engine in the first 6 months. It at least was easy to work on myself with no experience and only a Chilton's maintenance manual. Most of my cars were between 3 and 5 years old when I bought them.

This is true to a degree. Modern cars are waaay more reliable than they were 50 yrs ago. Autos are more and more unreliable as you go back in time.

The issue with modern cars is that there is 10,000 more things to break.....AC, radio, computers, etc, etc. And the average person can’t work on them. For example in the 60’s and 70’s cars had to have considerable maintenance but people just tinkered on them from their own garages or driveways. Shoot, there are cars now that you can change the oil unless you have special training.

However, people rarely do the exact manufacturer instructions. Most people are lucky to refill fluids and get regular oil changes. If you take care of your vehicle most manufacturers make products that can get to 100k (maybe 150k) with little effort and money.

Reactions: FusterCluck
On the flip side....

Worked with an English/Indian guy whose wife had been a production engineer with Jaguar sometime in the 90s before they came over. He said he'd never own one b/c the designers and engineers just sit around all day waiting on 5 o'clock so they could finally hit a lick for a few hours of overtime. You're paying for a car that billed 60 hours for 20 hours of actual work. "Jaguar overtime bought my house."

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Worked with an English/Indian guy whose wife had been a production engineer with Jaguar sometime in the 90s before they came over. He said he'd never own one b/c the designers and engineers just sit around all day waiting on 5 o'clock so they could finally hit a lick for a few hours of overtime. You're paying for a car that billed 60 hours for 20 hours of actual work. "Jaguar overtime bought my house."

Ironically, Jag reliability actually increased a good deal when Ford bought them. That being said, their reliability is still poor.

Reactions: FusterCluck
The good news for American automotive companies is that their quality has increased, mostly due to unions losing power.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
^ Truth

Speaking of but them while you can, stick shifts.

Have been into cars most my life (and trucks more recently as I have to drive one for work). If you’re an enthusiast at all and have some spare change buy up any foreign sports car with a manual you can. At worst break even down the road, at best you’ll rake cash. Rake.

Supply and demand wins every time...

Reactions: jameslee32
You’re misinpterting it. It’s not new cars they’re logging. It’s measuring the 13.5 million cars sold in 2017.....and what proportion of them have over 200k. But like I said, these types of studies come out all the time......and the top 10-15 vehicles don’t change much.

Perhaps I read it wrong, but that still doesn’t change anything. It only counts vehicles sold, it doesn’t count the ones sitting in homes or farms.
It doesn’t take into account how many were sold.

The good news for American automotive companies is that their quality has increased, mostly due to unions losing power.

JDPower had an article a few yrs back examining the reliability of some brands.....and the mythos that is carried be a few. Their conclusions mirrored yours. The US brands have improved reliability over that last 15-20 yrs. In fact all manufacturers have to a degree. That’s why you’ve seen so many 70-100k mile warranties.

What was also included in article was that Toyota has actually decreased a little. The improvement in others and a decrease in Toyota has definitely narrowed the gap. Toyota is still one of the better brands for reliability....routinely fighting with Honda and Subaru. Though, Toyota has an almost mythical status among many consumers.....thinking that they are soooo far ahead of everyone, but that’s not the case.....especially not now.

Reactions: UKRob 73
Perhaps I read it wrong, but that still doesn’t change anything. It only counts vehicles sold, it doesn’t count the ones sitting in homes or farms.
It doesn’t take into account how many were sold.

Where do you think the ones sold in 2017 came from? They came from the farms and driveways across the US. And various researchers have been collecting the same data periodically for decades.....usually coming to the same conclusions. This isn’t new news.....the Tahoe’s, the Tacomas, the F150’s, the Silverados, etc.....these are the vehicles that are usually the most reliable and longest lasting on the road.

Where do you think the ones sold in 2017 came from? They came from the farms and driveways across the US. And various researchers have been collecting the same data periodically for decades.....usually coming to the same conclusions. This isn’t new news.....the Tahoe’s, the Tacomas, the F150’s, the Silverados, etc.....these are the vehicles that are usually the most reliable and longest lasting on the road.

That study only sees the data from the ones sold, in 2017. And of the ones sold, how many had over 200000 miles.

I'm not saying that there has never been a Dodge Truck thats rusted, of course there has been. You can find pics of every brand that has rust, Toyota just paid a 3.4 Billion dollar settlement for vehicles rusting.
Look into it. I'm telling ya straight up it's a Dodge Truck bed problem or was until recently. Look closely also because often the cabs aren't rusting at all.

Reactions: ekywildcat
That study only sees the data from the ones sold, in 2017. And of the ones sold, how many had over 200000 miles.

Right, but these are cars of all makes, models, and years. It’s a general representation of the the entire auto population. They just happened to be sold in ‘17.

And again, this isn’t the first study like this. For decades entities like JDPower, Consumer Reports, etc, all compile data to see which vehicles tend to reach the higher miles.....and its consistently the same makes/models.

^ Truth

Speaking of but them while you can, stick shifts.

Have been into cars most my life (and trucks more recently as I have to drive one for work). If you’re an enthusiast at all and have some spare change buy up any foreign sports car with a manual you can. At worst break even down the road, at best you’ll rake cash. Rake.

Supply and demand wins every time...
My 1998 Ford Ranger is a goldmine!

Reactions: Rex Kwon Do
I support American-Made but only to the extent that I'm also getting a good product. I see so many people with Fords or chevy trucks, or jeeps, or pretty much anything American made.. running into problems.

My car payments just came up on my 2014 Mazda6 GT. I haven't had a single dashboard light come on. I change my breaks, tires and oil when needed. Other than that, not a single issue*

*guy side-swipped my parked car while I was watching Kentucky/Winthrop, the Wednesday before thanksgiving. For those in Albany there was some wild snow-squal that came in right during the game and the guy must have slid into my car. My BSM light just went on, which is right where his car hit (he/she did a hit and run).

I've got three Toyotas in my driveway for that very reason.

ADVERTISEMENT