ADVERTISEMENT

Do you agree?

Well, I felt pretty damn hopeful walking out of CWS after the LSU game in 2007, but we are definitely working on NSD 2017 topping that, especially if we've also bagged Tech to close 2016.

There were some hopeful times during Couch and Mumme as well as middle/late Brooks with Woodson. But, this team might have all of the parts soon, which neither of those eras had.

Hard to say, been many a Charlie Brown kicking the football while being "held" by Lucy moment for Kentucky football fans. But I have my finger crossed!

For the sake of the young fans I hope they get to experience a team like 77. I will never forget that great time to be a Cat fan
My SR year in HS....will never forget them talking about the heat in Waco.

The Penn State game watching that will never leave my memory.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
My SR year in HS....will never forget them talking about the heat in Waco.

The Penn State game watching that will never leave my memory.
I was in Gainesville when we beat Florida. After the game our fans took over the town and we ended up in a BBQ joint eating ribs. Coal was doing really good back then and a UK fan who was a coal operator thought the ribs were so good he tried to buy the restaurant. Crazy times

Last edited:
Well, you can tell by how I sign, that I've been a UK follower since Stoll Field. I graduated in 1962, so I saw some good football teams. I had my hopes up many times, just as I have now, only to have my heart broken. I truly believe we have the right person as HC, and his staff seems to work very well with him. He appears to have the personnel that he wants, and I don't think there is a better recruiter in football then Coach Marrow. Getting Coach Gran seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle. Having Coach Brown, who a lot of us wanted, was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. It was not how Coach Stoops wanted to run the offense. There are several of us "Old Coggers", in our 70's or 80's who have lived with, and hoped for another team, that could compete with the big boys. Yes, Mtn. Cat and I can remember those days, and were hoping for them again. GO BIG BLUE!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Well, you can tell by how I sign, that I've been a UK follower since Stoll Field. I graduated in 1962, so I saw some good football teams. I had my hopes up many times, just as I have now, only to have my heart broken. I truly believe we have the right person as HC, and his staff seems to work very well with him. He appears to have the personnel that he wants, and I don't think there is a better recruiter in football then Coach Marrow. Getting Coach Gran seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle. Having Coach Brown, who a lot of us wanted, was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. It was not how Coach Stoops wanted to run the offense. There are several of us "Old Coggers", in our 70's or 80's who have lived with, and hoped for another team, that could compete with the big boys. Yes, Mtn. Cat and I can remember those days, and were hoping for them again. GO BIG BLUE!

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Class of 1965. I am with you Old Stoll Field guy. Saw the Bird Brothers from Corbin, Lou Michaels and a host of other greats. We had fun and could beat Tennesse I hope we can sing that song Happy Days Are Here Again

As for hope... yes it is. 2007 we were winning but we petered out because we lacked depth. We were only getting 5 or 6 legit p5 players in some of those classes. The thing about now that makes it promising is....

We return 34 on the 2 deep. We rs'd most of last year's class. We played a lot of sophs and rs freshman this year.... and we have a really good class comin this year and we seem to be in good shape for some hoss's next year.

I go back to the 2007 team which reached a top 10 ranking and a win over #1 LSU as being the best team since the 1976 CATS, however the 2007 team's success was primarily based around a small nucleus of elite players many of whom went on to the NFL. Also Brooks failed to capitalize on the success of the 2007 team and recruited a class full of 2 star and low 3 stars the following year to the surprise of many so there was no building for the future and the program soon went back towards the bottom. The 76 and 77 teams were similar "one hit wonders" so to speak

OTOH the 2016 CATS are just getting started. We are not only returning the vast majority off of the two deep, but will also add a dozen or so quality redshirts and are well on our way to reloading with another top 25 class this year.

Therefore unlike previous years when we had really good seasons, the program now under Stoops is building for the long term. The way we are recruiting, coaching, developing players and building we should have a quality team every year for the foreseeable future.

4 SEC wins, win over #11 UL on the road, hitting big on the recruiting trail, team found its identity, return all kinds of production...pretty damn good looking future.

Still have all kinds of room for improvement, but I don't think we go into games as an auto loss next season.

Cats were well on the way after Bradshaw's 1963 signed class. UK freshmen beat Tennessee 70-0. But, Charlie's strong armed coaching ran them all off. The previous class was the
team with Norton, Bird and Kestner, who
In 1964 as juniors beat #1 Ole Miss.

Last edited:
I go back to the 2007 team which reached a top 10 ranking and a win over #1 LSU as being the best team since the 1976 CATS, however the 2007 team's success was primarily based around a small nucleus of elite players many of whom went on to the NFL. Also Brooks failed to capitalize on the success of the 2007 team and recruited a class full of 2 star and low 3 stars the following year to the surprise of many so there was no building for the future and the program soon went back towards the bottom. The 76 and 77 teams were similar "one hit wonders" so to speak

OTOH the 2016 CATS are just getting started. We are not only returning the vast majority off of the two deep, but will also add a dozen or so quality redshirts and are well on our way to reloading with another top 25 class this year.

Therefore unlike previous years when we had really good seasons, the program now under Stoops is building for the long term. The way we are recruiting, coaching, developing players and building we should have a quality team every year for the foreseeable future.
Excellent points. The 77 season was the pinnacle but it all unraveled and fast. We had one scandal after another off of the field and that never helps a program. (UL being the exception). Recruiting suffered. Time has taught me you can not take off even one day recruiting. It is the life blood of any program and a team like 2007 should have brought in a host of high rated 3 stars and 4 stars. Maybe we could have snuck in a 5 star along the way. But we didn't and we started a quick slide down the SEC ladder. I like Stoops plan for the future and am anxious to see how it plays out.

I love the "Glory Years" and I love to talk about them but we are in the present now and I want to win now. 1977 and 2007 are history. Let this be the dawning of a new age and let it continue. Building a solid foundation will be the key as it is in all aspects of life.

Reactions: mrschwump
There were some hopeful times during Couch and Mumme as well as middle/late Brooks with Woodson. But, this team might have all of the parts soon, which neither of those eras had.

I'm going to have to disagree on the Mumme thing...you can't outscore everyone. We didn't have a defense during that time...it took Brooks a few years to build it back up.

Excellent points. The 77 season was the pinnacle but it all unraveled and fast. We had one scandal after another off of the field and that never helps a program. (UL being the exception). Recruiting suffered. Time has taught me you can not take off even one day recruiting. It is the life blood of any program and a team like 2007 should have brought in a host of high rated 3 stars and 4 stars. Maybe we could have snuck in a 5 star along the way. But we didn't and we started a quick slide down the SEC ladder. I like Stoops plan for the future and am anxious to see how it plays out.

I love the "Glory Years" and I love to talk about them but we are in the present now and I want to win now. 1977 and 2007 are history. Let this be the dawning of a new age and let it continue. Building a solid foundation will be the key as it is in all aspects of life.

I agree but my sincere hope is that NOW begins the "Glory Years."

Strongly disagree with this. The greatest time in modern Kentucky football was clearly in 2007, when Kentucky beat the #1 team in the nation (LSU) on national TV, then beat UL when Stevie got loose, then beat Florida State in the Music City Bowl (dealing Bobby Bowden a rare bowl loss). 2016 does not compare to 2007. But I still think 2017 will be Kentucky's best football season since at least 1984, so the best may be just around the corner.

For the sake of the young fans I hope they get to experience a team like 77. I will never forget that great time to be a Cat fan
Thai was 12 years before I was born but my dad told me it was a special team. Hope to see a 11-1 team in the next 5 years

My dad let me drive his brand new Ford Grenada to the Peach Bowl in 76.
Great victory against UNC and an unforgettable New Years Eve in Atlanta.
The Cats were riding high...

4 SEC wins, win over #11 UL on the road, hitting big on the recruiting trail, team found its identity, return all kinds of production...pretty damn good looking future.

Still have all kinds of room for improvement, but I don't think we go into games as an auto loss next season.
We have a much more favorable schedule next year than this year too.

Strongly disagree with this. The greatest time in modern Kentucky football was clearly in 2007, when Kentucky beat the #1 team in the nation (LSU) on national TV, then beat UL when Stevie got loose, then beat Florida State in the Music City Bowl (dealing Bobby Bowden a rare bowl loss). 2016 does not compare to 2007. But I still think 2017 will be Kentucky's best football season since at least 1984, so the best may be just around the corner.

But in 2007 you knew Woodson, Tamme, Woodyard, Little, S Johnson, Burton etc etc were graduating. When he said hopeful, to me that speaks to future outlook - cant say I felt better having to replace tons of crucial pieces in 2007, vs returning tons of crucial pieces from possibly an equal win total season (8 vs 8). The returning defense in 2008 looked and played pretty dang good, but the overall team returning looks much more promising in 2017 vs 2008 IMO.

Reactions: screwduke1
This is certainly the most talent and depth I can remember at UK and I'm 49 years old. The difference between now and the Mumme years is that this UK team is doing it without smoke and mirrors.
Amen. Now let's dump that cheesy Air Raid siren for a VERY loud and long Wildcat scream and growl, punctuated with a series of mortar simulator blasts counting the number of TD's to that point, and save the air shells for victory celebrations.

But in 2007 you knew Woodson, Tamme, Woodyard, Little, S Johnson, Burton etc etc were graduating. When he said hopeful, to me that speaks to future outlook - cant say I felt better having to replace tons of crucial pieces in 2007, vs returning tons of crucial pieces from possibly an equal win total season (8 vs 8). The returning defense in 2008 looked and played pretty dang good, but the overall team returning looks much more promising in 2017 vs 2008 IMO.
Okay. LOL! I gave you my ideas about our future outlook. But as for being the most hopeful season, that was 2007. We beat the #1 team in the country, we beat UL, we beat Bobby Bowden. And in case you have forgotten, we were expecting to have a good football team in 2008 too. Our 2008 defense was the best I have seen at Kentucky since Art Still, Jerry Blanton, Dallas Owens were here.

Hard to say, been many a Charlie Brown kicking the football while being "held" by Lucy moment for Kentucky football fans. But I have my finger crossed!
This pretty much sums it up,where we go from here still remains to be seen.We have a chance,we aren't in a position of starting from scratch and after 2 games this year that was probably on the corner of the table

Next year we should be able to line up and compete with just about everyone on the schedule.

We have been down this road before so I don't want to get too excited until what takes place on the field over the course of an entire season.I want to see us come out of the gate next year and make a statement,serve notice that something different is going on here.

A bowl win might give the world a little hint if anyone is paying attention

Cats were well on the way after Bradshaw's 1963 signed class. UK freshmen beat Tennessee 70-0. But, Charlie's strong armed coaching ran them all off. The previous class was the
team with Norton, Bird and Kestner, who
In 1964 as juniors beat #1 Ole Miss.
Thanks Barryblue2, so rewarding to reflect back to the memories of past seasons & past players!!! Thanks again!!!

This is correct.

Not to be a downer, but unrealistic expectations have spread across our fanbase like a cancer for many years. Many fans simply forgot that the competition level in the SEC is extremely high. Freshmen and new starters emerged on other teams and became the offensive and defensive stars that were needed to elevate that team into SEC title contention. Fellow UK fans, including myself, watched seasons fizzle before our eyes for one reason after another.

I am high on this team, too, but I prefer to temper my expectations. I want to be pleasantly surprised next December.

ADVERTISEMENT