ADVERTISEMENT

Do we stick with the coaching method?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
With the overwhelming and unexpected success do we stick with Kenny on the bench and Cal observing. Cal prepares them and Kenny bench coaches. Cal loves innovation. It really worked.

Know this comment will get me killed, but thought team played it's best two games when Barbee was coaching, not KP and I am a huge fan of Kenny's. And this team is going to need to Cal, but Cal should use this trip as a reminder to let these guys go/turn them loose and not come up with made up reasons to harness them.

We all understand that you can't light up the scoreboard every game and you'll need to win different ways, but it's a complete fallacy that game changes in postseason. If anything, teams who score and have firepower spread out are more likely to win then defensive, grind it out possession teams. Their offense becomes a pressure added to opposition. Cal's on record saying this will be his highest scoring team since he's been at UK, well he needs to remember that come March/April.

Know this comment will get me killed, but thought team played it's best two games when Barbee was coaching, not KP and I am a huge fan of Kenny's. And this team is going to need to Cal, but Cal should use this trip as a reminder to let these guys go/turn them loose and not come up with made up reasons to harness them.

We all understand that you can't light up the scoreboard every game and you'll need to win different ways, but it's a complete fallacy that game changes in postseason. If anything, teams who score and have firepower spread out are more likely to win then defensive, grind it out possession teams. Their offense becomes a pressure added to opposition. Cal's on record saying this will be his highest scoring team since he's been at UK, well he needs to remember that come March/April.
You do understand they were coaching under Cal’s directive right? It wasn’t like Barbee was out there freelancing, running his own plays against Cal’s philosophies. Cal told them what he wanted and they executed that plan.

f237ca4abf373c23e8af46ffccd8f323.jpg

YES, DAMN IT, YES taking the foot of the throttle is the key to the best team losing the game

With the overwhelming and unexpected success do we stick with Kenny on the bench and Cal observing. Cal prepares them and Kenny bench coaches. Cal loves innovation. It really worked.
Surly Shirley, you jest. ;) Oh, and does Cal get credit for the four wins or does Kenny and Barbee? ;)

Last edited:
Cal sitting in the stands ain’t gonna happen but I’ll be disappointed if I see Cal endlessly screaming his way through games with this more experienced bunch.

Tend to agree with you on that second paragraph.

Cal needs to look back at the games where his team has come up short in the tournament, and consider to what extent playing rock fight halfcourt brawls has hurt him in big games. I think his penchant for playing that way has prevented him being on the wrong end of major tournament upsets, but you have to wonder about games like the 06 Elite 8 against UCLA, the 08 title game, the WVa loss in 2010, UConn in 11 and 14, and Wisconsin in 15 (especially that one) and can reasonably ask if he didn't play right into the hands of the opponent by being so willing to play halfcourt to halfcourt.

I think he also needs to consider whether discouraging taking jumpshots gets into guys heads and leads to worse shooting than what we would expect. We all remember the brick city performances in 2010, 2011, 2016, and last year. He doesn't want to have a jumpshooting team, and that's smart, but it can't create a situation where the majority of guys feel uncomfortable taking shots even when they're open. I think we saw some of that at the end of the 14-15 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

I think in some skewed way Cal realizes this. I think he is in a more pronounced self-evaluation phase and it will only do him good. he is great but can't you always get better? Those who do are always re-evaluating themselves.

You do understand they were coaching under Cal’s directive right? It wasn’t like Barbee was out there freelancing, running his own plays against Cal’s philosophies. Cal told them what he wanted and they executed that plan.

Not my point, you really think I'd advocate for Cal not coaching the team? I meant Barbee compared to Payne in terms of how the team responded. Which makes sense as Barbee has HC experience.

Cal gave large canvas and details were minimal. He wanted to evaluate and it's wise to do this. Wanted to see different combinations, etc....but my issue with Cal is he needs to understand that your team dictates to you how they need to play, not vice versa. He's got a habit of wanting them all to be a like and that's impossible. Grinding a game out will happen over course of a season and likely in a postseason game, but it doesn't come in any similar fashion. It could be grinding out foul trouble, poor shooting night, horribly officiated game (lord knows BBN has experienced a few of those in March) and it's not about playing halfcourt basketball. You don't buy a Porsche and drive in a Tractor Pull and think other teams/coaches bait Cal and he falls for it. It's okay to be Floyd Mayweather and have everyone talk about how you aren't this or that but end of day you are undefeated. Cal is like Mayweather but baited into a full out brawl ala vintage Mike Tyson and some of his teams aren't equipped to do that and some are. This team will have very few low scoring games due to the versatility and depth of playmakers/scoring and he needs to not limit them or possessions to engage in an ego thing.

Reactions: Newcattitudes

KP coached the first game when they were all nervous and the last game when they were tired, wore out and ready to go home. Pretty sure that had more to do with their performances than the specific coach. And if you paid attention both were coaching all for games.

Reactions: Newcattitudes
KP coached the first game when they were all nervous and the last game when they were tired, wore out and ready to go home. Pretty sure that had more to do with their performances than the specific coach. And if you paid attention both were coaching all for games.

Of course they all coached, that's what they do every game. Just saying what I saw, and knew it wouldn't be popular because so many don't care for Barbee. Liked how they maintained level more during those games, but in end doesn't matter unless Cal gets ejected, but if he does, you know which Coach I'd rather see take over the duties. lol

Cal is a very good coach but I would love to see him let the team play and not worry so much about them getting drafted. Ever since he's been here he's tried to straddle that fence by having them good enough to win a lot of games but also make changes in different ways to help their draft stock.

He will play them out of position at times or leave guys in the game that should be on the bench. He experiments way to much.

I hope they all get drafted but not at the cost of a championship. We have a team this year similar to the 2012 team where it might not make much difference what he does, they are going to dominate. This team seems to have the same attitude the 2012 team did. They want it and are good enough to get it!

Of course they all coached, that's what they do every game. Just saying what I saw, and knew it wouldn't be popular because so many don't care for Barbee. Liked how they maintained level more during those games, but in end doesn't matter unless Cal gets ejected, but if he does, you know which Coach I'd rather see take over the duties. lol

I don't have anything against Barbee at all. I think he is a fine coach. I'm just saying that you shouldn't make that choice baised off of how these kids played this passed weekend. Barbee had the two games that was easiest for the players to be motivated to play in. The 2nd and 3rd games were the tougher opponents. While KP had the two games that were the least motivating to play in. The first game gitters and the last game "can't wait to get homes".

Seems like a flawed system to base a coaching preference on. But to each his own I guess.

Not my point, you really think I'd advocate for Cal not coaching the team? I meant Barbee compared to Payne in terms of how the team responded. Which makes sense as Barbee has HC experience.

Cal gave large canvas and details were minimal. He wanted to evaluate and it's wise to do this. Wanted to see different combinations, etc....but my issue with Cal is he needs to understand that your team dictates to you how they need to play, not vice versa. He's got a habit of wanting them all to be a like and that's impossible. Grinding a game out will happen over course of a season and likely in a postseason game, but it doesn't come in any similar fashion. It could be grinding out foul trouble, poor shooting night, horribly officiated game (lord knows BBN has experienced a few of those in March) and it's not about playing halfcourt basketball. You don't buy a Porsche and drive in a Tractor Pull and think other teams/coaches bait Cal and he falls for it. It's okay to be Floyd Mayweather and have everyone talk about how you aren't this or that but end of day you are undefeated. Cal is like Mayweather but baited into a full out brawl ala vintage Mike Tyson and some of his teams aren't equipped to do that and some are. This team will have very few low scoring games due to the versatility and depth of playmakers/scoring and he needs to not limit them or possessions to engage in an ego thing.
No offense but I think Cal is in the Hall of Fame for more than his recruiting prowess. You’re speaking as if you possess more knowledge about the game of basketball than Cal. That couldn’t be further from the reality. I’ve followed his career since he was at UMASS and the guy can flat out coach under any situation. Every scenario you mentioned in your above post, Cal is aware of and has dealt with far more successfully than he gets credit for. He’s been in and sustained incredible successes in the coaching professsion for 30 years.

I think Cal has changed a little. Maybe it’s due to losing the three to Duke but I like the alpha dog mentality that he recruited. Him recruiting shooters is a big step as well. Even next years group is more self motivated. He’s adjusted a lot in recruiting, maybe it’s because he’s had to but none the less he’s done it well. Also adding a grad transfer was a big change for him because he declared he didn’t like it and hadn’t gone that route since Julius Mayes. Now if Cal will calm down just a tad on the sidelines. Lol

Tend to agree with you on that second paragraph.

Cal needs to look back at the games where his team has come up short in the tournament, and consider to what extent playing rock fight halfcourt brawls has hurt him in big games. I think his penchant for playing that way has prevented him being on the wrong end of major tournament upsets, but you have to wonder about games like the 06 Elite 8 against UCLA, the 08 title game, the WVa loss in 2010, UConn in 11 and 14, and Wisconsin in 15 (especially that one) and can reasonably ask if he didn't play right into the hands of the opponent by being so willing to play halfcourt to halfcourt.

I think he also needs to consider whether discouraging taking jumpshots gets into guys heads and leads to worse shooting than what we would expect. We all remember the brick city performances in 2010, 2011, 2016, and last year. He doesn't want to have a jumpshooting team, and that's smart, but it can't create a situation where the majority of guys feel uncomfortable taking shots even when they're open. I think we saw some of that at the end of the 14-15 season.

I can't remember the exact numbers, but last year I ran the numbers and UK is averaging something like 14 to 15 points less than their season scoring averages in tournament losses under Cal. Just based on final scores alone, UK's season ending losses:

2018 - 58 points
2017 - 73 (pace was set for the 60s until UK scored 9 points in the final minute).
2016 - 67
2015 - 64
2014 - 54
2011 - 55
2010 - 66

That's 62 points/game in tournament losses for teams that generally averaged 76 to 77 points/game.

I mean, that's an issue and if this UK team is playing its tournament games in the 60s come March/April, I'll be pissed. This team has all the pieces to dictate tempo, even in March/April against the best teams.

Cal has recently said inferior teams like to shorten the game and take away UK possessions historically. Well, stop them. Force tempo and beat them to death.

Cal is a very good coach but I would love to see him let the team play and not worry so much about them getting drafted. Ever since he's been here he's tried to straddle that fence by having them good enough to win a lot of games but also make changes in different ways to help their draft stock.

He will play them out of position at times or leave guys in the game that should be on the bench. He experiments way to much.

I hope they all get drafted but not at the cost of a championship. We have a team this year similar to the 2012 team where it might not make much difference what he does, they are going to dominate. This team seems to have the same attitude the 2012 team did. They want it and are good enough to get it!
I don't think Cal loses much sleep over whether Keldon Johnson is going to get drafted. Then again I may be wrong

This, by far, is the dumbest idea that RR's basketball illiterates have proposed. To steal a Zipp line, most knowledgable basketball fans my ass.

I wish your parents would have stuck with the rhythm method.

Let's just fire Cal!!!
+1

Kentucky recruits it’s self just ask cals predecessor. Easy job, low expectations kids are dying to get in when we were losing at home to the vmis of the world.

Truth is;
There’s a reason why barbee was canned at his other jobs. Payne hasn’t had to experience that yet, but I do believe after his son is gone he will be looking for a job and don’t be surprised if cal hands him the team. Cal said he won’t do this forever and I hate the idea of the R word as I don’t trust anyone with what he’s done here. Cal is what pat Reilly would be if he was running the show.

Reactions: JC CATS
I'd definitely love to see Cal tone down the screaming a notch this year and not pull certain players over a mistake while others get to play through them. I'd also like to see him be a little more aggressive on the offensive end and not try and milk the clock to early in games. The one thing I will forever like about Pitino is that he went for the opponent's jugular while here and didn't play not to lose at the end of games. Now I need to go to church and ask for forgiveness for giving Pitino any kind of compliment.

(Will be waiting for the responses about Coach Cal is in the HOF, has a bunch of Final Fours, and a Title. How about you?)

Reactions: crestcat

Without even thinking about who coached, cause I honestly don't remember except KP coaching 1st game, I would bet KP coached last game too.

If so, I don't think it was that TB was such a good coach but simply 1st game gitters and being tired.

ADVERTISEMENT