ADVERTISEMENT

Do we have our new S&C coach?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
Deadline to apply was May 2. Any word?

Hoping the new guy has a different program. While I think UK is always on top shape I would like to see a weight program added for our bigs.

Looking at Brooks and particularly Ware over 3 years it wasn’t a point of emphasis. Ware needs it to continue his future in bball. Collins definitely needs an advanced added weight program.

It does need to happen asap. There are players that will be playing here next year after all, already on the team currently.

I’m sure they’re working a program now. Well the new S&C coach will come in and probably change a few things. So the sooner the better so the guys can work those changes into their regimen for the summer

There are a lot of different directions a S/C guy can go. Harris obviously focused on VO2 max. That’s why our guys didn’t look ripped and Brooks’s legs looked like twigs.

It’s also why we ran a lot of teams into the ground especially midseason when everything was clicking. Several of our wins came from that.

It may also be why we’ve been so injury prone. That high and that constant metabolism takes a toll on a body. And Harris’ years: 14/15 through now, do seem to line up with the excess injuries we’ve seemed to endure.

Otoh, that much running without slowing was a considerable part of what made Oscar Oscar on the stat sheet. An area where we should maybe be careful what we wish for.

Cal was probably plugged into that equation. He told Cuz his first semester here, “you will be in the best shape of your life” and Cuz went on about the pain and laps and treadmill involved.

Even when it comes to big muscles, Cal wants it all lower body. Remember “curls for the girls”?

I don’t necessarily see it that way myself. I’m remembering a year when UF stirred up hype preseason with all their guys rolling huge tires and heavy rope drills and just got all Rambo above the waist. We made a lot of fun of them here for that. But they just destroyed us that season. As far as my perception of what kind of physique really helps on court, that moved the needle.

There are a lot of different directions a S/C guy can go. Harris obviously focused on VO2 max. That’s why our guys didn’t look ripped and Brooks’s legs looked like twigs.

It’s also why we ran a lot of teams into the ground especially midseason when everything was clicking. Several of our wins came from that.

It may also be why we’ve been so injury prone. That high and that constant metabolism takes a toll on a body. And Harris’ years: 14/15 through now, do seem to line up with the excess injuries we’ve seemed to endure.

Otoh, that much running without slowing was a considerable part of what made Oscar Oscar on the stat sheet. An area where we should maybe be careful what we wish for.

Cal was probably plugged into that equation. He told Cuz his first semester here, “you will be in the best shape of your life” and Cuz went on about the pain and laps and treadmill involved.

Even when it comes to big muscles, Cal wants it all lower body. Remember “curls for the girls”?

I don’t necessarily see it that way myself. I’m remembering a year when UF stirred up hype preseason with all their guys rolling huge tires and heavy rope drills and just got all Rambo above the waist. We made a lot of fun of them here for that. But they just destroyed us that season. As far as my perception of what kind of physique really helps on court, that moved the needle.
I don’t see why a combination of lower and upper body strength along with good cardio would be bad, also different things depending on what different players needs. Like all things balance is important and not everyone is weak in the same areas. I’d like to see guys like Collins just gain the weight needed if possible. Or those with tiny legs get them stronger.

Yes we do and here is some footage of him:

His name is Popeye Jones.

Last edited:
I don’t see why a combination of lower and upper body strength along with good cardio would be bad, also different things depending on what different players needs. Like all things balance is important and not everyone is weak in the same areas. I’d like to see guys like Collins just gain the weight needed if possible. Or those with tiny legs get them stronger.

Too many muscles in the arms could cause a shooter to lose touch on his shot. In college, I had PE with a guy who had muscles on his muscles but on the routines that required finesse rather than strength, he had trouble with his coordination.

Too many muscles in the arms could cause a shooter to lose touch on his shot. In college, I had PE with a guy who had muscles on his muscles but on the routines that required finesse rather than strength, he had trouble with his coordination.
Yeah but that’s zero data points. If you knew he had the coordination before he had the muscles it would be one data point.

In contrast I’ve personally trained Jeet Kune Do and Kung Fu with a whole lot of guys who were extremely ripped and swole and had phenomenal coordination. Those are all data points because the before state is irrelevant to that side of the argument: if they had coordination before the muscles, the muscles didn’t hurt. If they had no coordination before the muscles, the muscles actually helped.

Yeah but that’s zero data points. If you knew he had the coordination before he had the muscles it would be one data point.

In contrast I’ve personally trained Jeet Kune Do and Kung Fu with a whole lot of guys who were extremely ripped and swole and had phenomenal coordination. Those are all data points because the before state is irrelevant to that side of the argument: if they had coordination before the muscles, the muscles didn’t hurt. If they had no coordination before the muscles, the muscles actually helped.
People with lots of muscle training often end up with the yips which can hurt the jumpshot. It's seen most often in golfers.

ADVERTISEMENT