ADVERTISEMENT

Do any of you have a emergency/survival kit?

bradyjames

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Murfreesboro , TN
Had never thought about it much but lately decided it may not be such a bad idea? Curious If many have something like that.

Last edited:
photo%286%29.JPG

I have A LOT of camping equipment. Like, an entire vertical garage cabinet full of just stuff for camping. One backpack in particular is packed in such a way that you might refer to it as a bugout or survival bag. It would just need a weapon and some ammo. Flashlights, knives, crank radio, old cell phone & changer, glasses, stove, fuel, mre's, water purification, blanket, basic hand tools, first aid etc.

However, I have 40 gallons of fresh water in my garage via 8 5-gallon containers that I fear will eventually actually be needed and much more useful than any survival bag.
61ahaU9kMwL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
I have A LOT of camping equipment. Like, an entire vertical garage cabinet full of just stuff for camping. One backpack in particular is packed in such a way that you might refer to it as a bugout or survival bag. It would just need a weapon and some ammo. Flashlights, knives, crank radio, old cell phone & changer, glasses, stove, fuel, mre's, water purification, blanket, basic hand tools, first aid etc.

However, I have 40 gallons of fresh water in my garage via 8 5-gallon containers that I fear will eventually actually be needed and much more useful than any survival bag.
61ahaU9kMwL._SL1000_.jpg
You have a carpeted garage?

Reactions: PhattyJ4UK
We keep a rotating "spare pantry" with 30 days of food for two tucked away in a spare closet. Mostly dehydrated stuff in #10 cans, rice and beans in mylar with O2 absorbers, and stuff like Spam or canned hams for added protein. I based it on 2000 calories per person per day. I started meddling with home canning this year, so there is some of that mixed in as well. Might be overkill, might not be, but its there if we need it.

Water is covered by three 55 gallon rain catch drums on the house and garage. I have several high capacity filters if I need to use that water

I took a hint from a podcast and keep a rotating supply of gas for my generator on hand too. 12 five gallon metal jerrycans, labeled 1-12, with the number referring to the month it was filled. Fill one in January, and next january, use it in the mower, car, or whatever, and fill it again to keep it fresh, and so on through the months.

I gave most of my family members the Augason Farms 72-Hour 4-Person Emergency Food Storage Kit from Walmart for Xmas last year as a "just in case" thing. Hard to beat the price @ Walmart ($64) and decent enough for short term grub or camping.

And, most importantly, there is always at least one 5 gallon batch of mead or beer in some stage of the brewing process in the house. Because booze.

Reactions: bradyjames
I don't have a survival bag packed. I have a lot of gear that would be useful, but it's not ready to go.

I am somewhere in this mix of preparedness. I could do more, but I have an older brother that's been on the survivalist kick since 1983.

19 eighty f'n 3.

He's now 64 and completely ate up with it. Never married. No kids.

It's all just "the end is near."

He has wasted an entire lifetime over it. Everything he's earned is all in gear because money is going to be useless.

He's proposed several times, but when the perspectives see reality, they run for the hills.

so you people with all this survival shit at home, what happens when your at work or shopping with the wife or doing whatever miles and miles away when the shit hits the fan? pretty useless then, right? except for us looters that will be happy as hell when we run across these prepper stashes and just know someone else did all the hard work for us.

I don't have a survival bag packed. I have a lot of gear that would be useful, but it's not ready to go.
This is pretty much how mine came to be. It's just an organization of tools. It can be a go-to bag for specialty items when camping, but when not, it could be useful in another capacity... so why not.

so you people with all this survival shit at home, what happens when your at work or shopping with the wife or doing whatever miles and miles away when the shit hits the fan? pretty useless then, right? except for us looters that will be happy as hell when we run across these prepper stashes and just know someone else did all the hard work for us.
I started saving water several years ago when Wyvern(CastleRubic), twice, said it might be a good idea. I figured it was smart to listen to dudes working at the CDC.

He said it would be incredibly easy for water supply to be attacked and that it wouldn't be the worst idea to have some reserves.

But, if you wanna come pack off 350lbs of water... have at it.

My stash isn't for SHTF, its more for "big ice storm (or tornado, etc) takes out the crappy power lines in BFE where my house is and the roads are closed because BFE also doesn't have the money for ice removal on any of the rural roads". The last big ice storm we had shut down the roads around my property and took out our power for almost a week. I added a generator and a bank of golf cart batteries with solar charging so we can at least have nice electronic things running to kill time with.

The 30 days of food was just a random number that popped in my head when I was planning - seemed logical at the time - and it fit the closet. The water barrels are for keeping the plants around the house watered, and the one on the garage keeps the small stock tank "pond" in my duck pen topped off, so they aren't SHTF either - just usable as such if needed.

Besides, If society falls apart so fast that someone is looting all the way out in BFE at my house on the first day, we're all doomed anyway. Even in an apocalypse, people are going to loot Best Buy well before they come to my house.

My Mormon friend always told me that they are taught to keep a year's worth non-perishable food and other random supplies.

When he amd his mother would visit me, they always brought their own food.

The generator thing is on my short list. When we had all new electrical put in the house last year, we almost had a permanent generator installed with it. Just didn't know how long we;d be staying here... almost regret it now.

My Mormon friend always told me that they are taught to keep a year's worth non-perishable food and other random supplies.

When he amd his mother would visit me, they always brought their own food.

The generator thing is on my short list. When we had all new electrical put in the house last year, we almost had a permanent generator installed with it. Just didn't know how long we;d be staying here... almost regret it now.

My brother started this way. He was raised main stream protestant, atheist in college, then to Mormonism. Joseph Smith filled in all the holes of the New Testament with the Really New Testament(Book of Mormon).

Don't forget about a seed bank. Gotta have a seed bank.

The same brother bought out Rural King(easily 400#) of vegetable seed when the North Korea shit started with little working knowledge of how to grow a garden. Ya Know, "Just in case."

By the way, if you are storing seeds, you have to keep them frozen to maintain a high germination rate(85-95%). Even at room temperature, you are at <10% at year five and the higher the temp the quicker the decline.

Reactions: Mashburned
My stash isn't for SHTF, its more for "big ice storm (or tornado, etc) takes out the crappy power lines in BFE where my house is and the roads are closed because BFE also doesn't have the money for ice removal on any of the rural roads". The last big ice storm we had shut down the roads around my property and took out our power for almost a week. I added a generator and a bank of golf cart batteries with solar charging so we can at least have nice electronic things running to kill time with.

The 30 days of food was just a random number that popped in my head when I was planning - seemed logical at the time - and it fit the closet. The water barrels are for keeping the plants around the house watered, and the one on the garage keeps the small stock tank "pond" in my duck pen topped off, so they aren't SHTF either - just usable as such if needed.

Besides, If society falls apart so fast that someone is looting all the way out in BFE at my house on the first day, we're all doomed anyway. Even in an apocalypse, people are going to loot Best Buy well before they come to my house.

I agree. I'm not a "prepper" by the modern interpretation of the word. Although, my brother did buy me a WaterBOB, which I have stored on a shelf some place. I'm more prepared for things like the occasional ice storm. Here are some things that I have going.

-Canned goods. We enjoy vegetables, so we have a cabinet full of store bought and self-canned goods. We enjoy and replenish throughout the yr, but if need be we could stretch to make do for several wks.

-Wood. We have both a wood burning fireplace and a gas fireplace. We have a small tank, so the gas will only last about a wk's worth of heavy use. I have a face cord left of firewood. We like to burn fires throughout the yr for zone heating and ambiance.

-We keep our gas grill out back at the ready for use throughout the yr.....and for just in case.

-I too am an avid camper, so I have plenty of supplies. Including water purification tablets and several high use filters.

-We have a recreation property in the mountains. We use for hunting, fishing, recreational firearms, off-roading, camping, etc. I've planted a bunch of fruit trees and bushes all over the property yrs ago. Plenty of blackberries, apples, etc.

-Probably one of the biggest things we have going for us are skills. Knowledge of the outdoors, fishing, camping, hunting.....making fire, shelter. Preparing food and water....etc.

-Probably one of the biggest things we have going for us are skills. Knowledge of the outdoors, fishing, camping, hunting.....making fire, shelter. Preparing food and water....etc.

Excellent point. In the age of grown-ass men not knowing how to even hang a picture or change a flat tire, trying to survive in the wild would be like watching a monkey **** a football.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Excellent point. In the age of grown-ass men not knowing how to even hang a picture or change a flat tire, trying to survive in the wild would be like watching a monkey **** a football.

That might be the best idea for a reality show ever, and one I might actually watch - take the cast of Big Brother and put them on Naked and Afraid. It would be one of the shortest shows ever, but the entertainment value would be through the roof...

"I saw that jaguars are just like big housecats on a youtube video - it was purring and everything. Lets go pet it!"

That might be the best idea for a reality show ever, and one I might actually watch - take the cast of Big Brother and put them on Naked and Afraid. It would be one of the shortest shows ever, but the entertainment value would be through the roof...

"I saw that jaguars are just like big housecats on a youtube video - it was purring and everything. Lets go pet it!"

I can see it now. The producers approaching a camera man, "Hey, slip the ones with the big boobs a lighter. We need to keep her around.....she's good for ratings."

Reactions: FusterCluck
going in when I can save up 200 dollas...

diagram.png

My dad built one just like this in our basement in the early 60’s. My parents never got serious about stocking it but they did keep green beans they canned it. Death by radiation seemed about the same as having to live on green beans and distilled water to a kid. Now that I think about it, ours didn’t have a toilet. Guess someone would have to had braved the radiation to empty a chamber pot.

ADVERTISEMENT