ADVERTISEMENT

DJ JeffrieS Decommits from UK....

Penny and the players he gets are gonna learn real quick, college ain't high school.

You can't just out talent everyone. You gotta scheme and adapt. We shall see.

Surely Cal has learned that with all of the talent Wes has fed him without results. But he only cares about the kids.

Surely Cal has learned that with all of the talent Wes has fed him without results. But he only cares about the kids.
Lol. Several final fours and a NCAA title. Meanwhile, your ghetto commuter school is an irrelevant scrub in a shit league. Memphis is a festering boil on the ass of NCAA athletics.

That’s a bummer, but I’m excited about the possibilities this opens up for Cal to get wild on the rest of this class.

Excited isn't quite the word or phrase I'd use since it's disappointing that DJ no longer wants to come. I'd say something more like unfortunate but blessed at the same time since we know Cal will get his. A class of Tyrese Maxey, likely Kahlil Whitney/Dontaie Allen and more (McDaniels? Carey?) will still be a fantastic haul for next season.

If Penny does a good enough job at Memphis, in a few years UK may promote him to a grad assistant or perhaps a recruiting assistant to Cal.

Pennys college coaching career will end on the aau Memphis connection. NCAA won’t be kind

Wish I could say I was disappointed but I’m not. Good player I’m just not that high on him. Was more excited about the thought that he would help with Wiseman more than I was him as a player. Oh well good luck to the kid:)

Dude, if you thought for a second that he would ever agree to a home and home with Penny you don't know too much. He doesn't have the balls to agree to that deal. I'm waiting for the day he finds out that he isn't getting Wiseman either. That will be a good, good day.

Oh wait, I forgot that he is the only one that can get the one and done players to the league. LMFAO!
Love it.

You set 'em up. We'll knock 'em down.

Penny is also a novelty. He’s a name that guys may want to listen to. Whether he can coach remains to be seen. I think he thinks college is going to be like AAU. A rude awakening is coming
I don’t think Penny has done anything that technically is against the rules. But...

Penny can just run practice and recruit if he wants...NBA Coach of the Year Sam Mitchell and Ole Miss interim HC Tony Madlock can handle the Xs and Os

Was Jeffries a wing? Seemed like an undersized college 4 with perimeter skills who could dish.

Long term, he's definitely a wing. At least that's true if you're projecting him to the pro level. You could likely use him as an undersized 4 in certain spots, but I'd think he'd be a more effective wing.

and I hope he enjoys his time in CUSA if that's where he ends up.

If he goes to Memphis, he'd be in the American Athletic Conference. Memphis was in Conference USA, but conference realignment moved them back in 2013. I'm admittedly still not fully caught up with all the realignment myself at times.

Long term, he's definitely a wing. At least that's true if you're projecting him to the pro level. You could likely use him as an undersized 4 in certain spots, but I'd think he'd be a more effective wing.

If he goes to Memphis, he'd be in the American Athletic Conference. Memphis was in Conference USA, but conference realignment moved them back in 2013. I'm admittedly still not fully caught up with all the realignment myself at times.

He knows what conference Memphis plays in.. he used it as a joke because Memphis isn't in a power 5 conference.

Penny can just run practice and recruit if he wants...NBA Coach of the Year Sam Mitchell and Ole Miss interim HC Tony Madlock can handle the Xs and Os

Memphis, the fanbase always getting something new to hope in but never arriving. At least Cal made you relevant for a while...lol.

BTW, if you're counting on Sam Mitchell & Tony Madlock as your hope then....[roll]

You do realize no one even suggest this anymore, right? It’s old, like 2009 old. Proven bullshit.

Let me guess, Memphis fans are ready to pretend big boy again.....

You might want to actually overtake Vandy and UT before you step up to the blue bloods.

Dude, if you thought for a second that he would ever agree to a home and home with Penny you don't know too much. He doesn't have the balls to agree to that deal. I'm waiting for the day he finds out that he isn't getting Wiseman either. That will be a good, good day.

Oh wait, I forgot that he is the only one that can get the one and done players to the league. LMFAO!

Memphis is shit. You don’t belong on our court. And we are waaaay to good to step foot in your ghetto.

Losing record to Tennessee all time, and you want a home and home with the greatest program of all time?

In your dreams, enjoy mid major land. Did the big12 call yet??? Bbwahahahha

Exactly. Just move on from Wiseman. His entire "body language" and attitude changed once Penny was hired, his mom wants him to be "a kid", her words, and have him as "close to home for as long as I can". Get Carey and let Carey eat him up.

James Wiseman is 7'-0" 210 lbs......210 !!!!!
Thats Marcus Lee strength.

Davis was 195 when he signed with us

Hear that beep beep beep? That's the sound of the armored car backing up to his front door .. huge sums of cash being exchanged.... little doubt in my mind.

I'm not going to stress over this. That's Cal's job and he does it pretty damn well.

I'm also not going to bash the kid. I'm sure, in the end, it's best for everyone that he goes where he'll be happiest. When Jones changed his mind we all said he should follow his heart. Its hypocritical to sing a different tune now when the shoe is on the other foot.

Last, I like Penny and wish him nothing but success. However once a player commits, whether he signs a LOI or not, "class" coaches back off. Coach Cal took heat for continuing to talk to Jones, Hardaway should get some heat for having regular conversations with DJ. It might not break any rules, but it's still wrong. Reap what you sow.

End of the day, these are young men making big boy decisions with major repercussions on the rest of their lives. Cal tells them not to "sign their rights away" and this is an option available without a LOI. The young man apparently wasn't a Wildcat at heart after all. Better for all this happens now.

As Cal likes to say, "Next up"

[laughing] Effort?

Its fine, here's the truth....
Kahlil Whitney is better and we are getting him. Wiseman is off the table, just focus on Carey, and Carey will eat him up. Actually, 2 players got the best of Wiseman this last month, he is not Anthony Davis guys. He good though. These 2 want to play for Penny and I understand that. Let them. Kentucky and Cal want players that can shoot and score.
Dontaie Allen and Kahlil, Scottie Lewis, Bryan Antoine and Keion Brooks, Matthew Hurt, Vernon Carey. any combination of these guys, plus Tyrese Maxey, and anchored by COLE ANTHONY!

Meanwhile, DJ Jeffries and James Wiseman will play in Memphis with no help and be home the 1st round of the tourney. Wiseman will go pro after a year, and DJ Jeffries is stuck in Memphis with no one. I honestly dont blame the kid, its fine. But, he obviously doesnt care much about winning basketball games, because he wont. UK will move on, he might as well just remove us from his list. And, after "talking with his family", they convinced him to open his recruitment, so in turn, I guarantee you he is permanently off of Kentucky's radar, as he should be. Good luck, have fun in Memphis.
Let’s not kid ourselves, Wiseman is damn good and Cal wanted him badly. Jeffries is a big loss only from the standpoint of believing Wiseman wants to play at the the same school.

The good news is Duke is not going to land him now either.

Reactions: crpoore and Cats192
First off, D.J. Jeffries decommitting is not that big of a deal. He is a 4-star/low 5-star and would've been great here, but hes not a "must have" player.

Second, Penny Hardaway's connections in Memphis and the fact that he coached these kids is his golden ticket here. He still has to coach them and being a great recruiter and winning in the NCAA D1 are two very different things. Ask Josh Pastner how that went. I think Hardaway will ride a high for a couple of seasons and then once they see him as a coach and see if he can back up the talk and actually coach these kids to a winning record and an NCAA-T then we'll see if he can still recruit these 5-star guys in 3 or 4 years. Its easy to recruit top players with a ton of hype around you, but if you cant show them that you can get them ready for the NBA and succeed on the court, then eventually that hype fades and the kids start looking elsewhere.

Thats why guys like Coach Cal, Coah K, Roy WIlliams, Bill Self, etc. can recruit these top kids year in and year out. They prove it on the court with good seasons that get them high seeds in the NCAA-T and lots of national exposure.

Reactions: jace2012

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Hey Coach (Penny), why am I (player) not getting any clock in games? (Penny) I'm not sure, go ask Coach Sam or Coach Tony."

Memphis plays in a "big-time" "Half-Power" Brown-Out" conference.........

ADVERTISEMENT