ADVERTISEMENT

DJ JeffrieS Decommits from UK....

I like it.

But part of me also wants to giftwrap Wiseman and give Penny enough rope to hang himself. Expose that poser. Not saying it’s wise but I swear I kept almost making a post about that every time Wiseman—>Memphis was asserted, and now a big part of me wonders if that wouldn’t just be the best way to put an end to this.
Exactly. Just move on from Wiseman. His entire "body language" and attitude changed once Penny was hired, his mom wants him to be "a kid", her words, and have him as "close to home for as long as I can". Get Carey and let Carey eat him up.

James Wiseman is 7'-0" 210 lbs......210 !!!!!
Thats Marcus Lee strength.

Not heartbroken about Jeffries. But any hope I had for Wiseman is basically gone now. I always preferred Carey but I thought we had the best chance with Wiseman.
I thought that too but for at least three weeks too many people have been saying Wiseman to Memphis.

Bet you my house that we land 2 or 3 guys in this class ranked higher than DJ Jeffries. It's almost a guarantee. Won't be a huge deal.

Its not the talent that hurts, its ths impact on Wiseman thats sucks so bad. We can always get another player for Jeffries but none are as close to Wiseman as he is. Thats what stings here.

Its fine, here's the truth....
Kahlil Whitney is better and we are getting him. Wiseman is off the table, just focus on Carey, and Carey will eat him up. Actually, 2 players got the best of Wiseman this last month, he is not Anthony Davis guys. He good though. These 2 want to play for Penny and I understand that. Let them. Kentucky and Cal want players that can shoot and score.
Dontaie Allen and Kahlil, Scottie Lewis, Bryan Antoine and Keion Brooks, Matthew Hurt, Vernon Carey. any combination of these guys, plus Tyrese Maxey, and anchored by COLE ANTHONY!

Meanwhile, DJ Jeffries and James Wiseman will play in Memphis with no help and be home the 1st round of the tourney. Wiseman will go pro after a year, and DJ Jeffries is stuck in Memphis with no one. I honestly dont blame the kid, its fine. But, he obviously doesnt care much about winning basketball games, because he wont. UK will move on, he might as well just remove us from his list. And, after "talking with his family", they convinced him to open his recruitment, so in turn, I guarantee you he is permanently off of Kentucky's radar, as he should be. Good luck, have fun in Memphis.

They will be lucky to get in the Tourney.

Am I crazy for saying that Wiseman is overrated? If we land him then great but some of the other guys look to be as good or better than JW. I don’t think we land Wiseman, especially since DJ decommitted.

Don't think its a big surprise with all the Wiseman & Memphis talk. Cal will do better.

Big deal? Nah. HUGE deal!! The 2019 class has been predicated on wiseman as the crown jewel. That is now off the table. These 10-25 rated freshmen are not gonna cut it if cal continues OAD. He needs the class elites to have a shot at nattys.

Very bad for our program and very bad for cal no way to spin it. Lost out on the 2018 targets and losing out on the primary 2019 targets.

Wiseman is not off the table. Dont jump off a bridge just yet. This may have nothing to do with Wiseman and everything to do with Cal offering 2 other SFs in the glass (assuming Allen gets an offer this week). Whether theyre different players or not, they play the same position and Jeffries is not extremely versatile to play other positions. So, dont go throwing away Wiseman just yet. I think it sucks because havibg Jeffries was a definite plus with Wiseman but it doesnt mean that James is off the table for UK. I woyldnt be surprised to see him go to Memphis but ths same for UK. We just lost an advantage we had with James but we shouldn't give up on him.

Reactions: Dablueman
I think jefferies saw the writing on the wall. A guy from ky that plays the same position as him, and Whitney who more than likely will commit next week. Those two guys had a good chance at playing ahead of him. Sure jefferies could of played the four, but he would not of been nearly as effective in that spot. Plus you know cal isn’t done as it would of pushed jefferies back farther to Charles Matthews status. Guys come here because they want to play. Unless you’re from ky, you aren’t going to want to wait for your turn. He will go somewhere that we will never hear from him again. Memphis will be his likely destination. I’m not ready to say wiseman is guaranteed to Memphis yet, but it’s pretty damn close.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Let’s see how James feels when Penny finishes sub 500 this year !!

If he signs a LOI this fall, it won't matter.

Just a regular reminder that Letters of Intent are not worth signing. They deliver all the power to the schools and leave the recruits powerless if they change their minds later. Sign scholarship papers instead.

I believe this is a result of Calipari making earlier offers. The risk you take from both sides. Calipari would never pull a scholarship, but I have no doubt Cal would tell a commitment behind the scenes what his status is.

Reactions: struggler
Wow this is different. Anytime I hear the word decomitt I expect Stoops to have recruited him. This has to be the first legit decommit that Cal has had and it's clearly not good news on the Wiseman front. Still Cal is Cal and we won't miss a beat and it's good to see them going to Memphis where we won't hear of them until the draft.

Because:
- Cal just had his first decommit
- Coach K seems to be scrambling in July (without Capel)
- UNC is suddenly looking strong on the recruiting trail
- Kansas has a dark cloud hanging over them
- Arizona isn't a threat for many 5-star recruits
- Memphis and Georgia are getting more love from recruits

It's just been a weird July.

It’ll level out. Kids are just flirting right now. End of the day, Duke and uk will both sign 4-5 5 stars. Unc is in it for Bacot because duke won’t take him no matter how long he holds out and unc is in it for Anthony bc of some Knick teams 500 years ago. Nas is hiding from the feds. I don’t buy their ability to recruit pros on a consistent basis.

Do what? No way we quit on James. He knows where his bread is buttered. He will look at the wall of UK NBA big men and make the right decision to attend UK.
Word on the street is that he told Penny weeks ago he was coming to Memphis. Forget Wiseman. He’s overhyped IMO. Much rather have Carey but I don’t think we get him either.

As for Jeffries. Sucks to lose a player but as for the player himself I’m not disappointed. He thinks he’s a OAD player and he’s not. Would have probably transferred to Memphis after his first year anyway after seeing he couldn’t be a OAD.

Reactions: morgousky
I don't see Memphis getting their home and home they wanted now.

Dude, if you thought for a second that he would ever agree to a home and home with Penny you don't know too much. He doesn't have the balls to agree to that deal. I'm waiting for the day he finds out that he isn't getting Wiseman either. That will be a good, good day.

Oh wait, I forgot that he is the only one that can get the one and done players to the league. LMFAO!

Dude, if you thought for a second that he would ever agree to a home and home with Penny you don't know too much. He doesn't have the balls to agree to that deal. I'm waiting for the day he finds out that he isn't getting Wiseman either. That will be a good, good day.

Oh wait, I forgot that he is the only one that can get the one and done players to the league. LMFAO!

No, but he's the only one that can make Memphis State more than a grimy embarrassment run by pathetic leeches.

Keeping Wiseman away and letting Penny drown with a bunch of guys ranked in the 40s and below that he's sold on being hometown heroes and getting them drafted would be beautiful.

This actually might bring Cal's gloves off in the Wiseman battle. If Memphis is playing dirty and Cal was trying to be above the negative recruiting, that could change now.
That's what I think. Cal likes to do the " we don't negative recruit thing" and I believe him when he says that, but when you pull out a knife, he pulls out a gun.

If Penny does a good enough job at Memphis, in a few years UK may promote him to a grad assistant or perhaps a recruiting assistant to Cal.

When all the talk about Whitney hit the board I began to wonder about DJ. I asked on here months ago was he a superior talent in his own right or was he being recruited to help with Wiseman. Mostly tepid responses to that. Maybe Cal learned his lesson with trying to recruit an influencer like he did with Bamba.

SO this is not surprising at all to me regardless if he's Memphis bound or whatever. Not a biggie imho.

If Penny does a good enough job at Memphis, in a few years UK may promote him to a grad assistant or perhaps a recruiting assistant to Cal.
If we ended up taking 2 coaches from Memphis the melt will be glorious.

Penny and the players he gets are gonna learn real quick, college ain't high school.

You can't just out talent everyone. You gotta scheme and adapt. We shall see.

Kids hope all their lives to get an offer from UK and Jeffries decomits, I feel sorry for this kid when figures out what a huge mistake he’s made☹️☹️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT