ADVERTISEMENT

DJ JeffrieS Decommits from UK....

Not heartbroken about Jeffries. But any hope I had for Wiseman is basically gone now. I always preferred Carey but I thought we had the best chance with Wiseman.

Reactions: KentuckyCat420
Wiseman is probably becoming a long shot but you can't predict these players.

There is a reason we were going to offer Penny a staff spot. Yes he's unproven and no he probably won't win anything meaningful at Memphis but our pipeline just became way more difficult over this year and next. It will take a little while for Penny hype to settle in the area.

1355331549061.jpg
giphy.gif

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Also this is why some of us have said for years now that UK must adjust to the recruiting climate and Cal has done that. We have upperclassmen, shooters, slashers, rebounders, enforcers.......he's no longer just hanging his hat on the too 5 being good enough and guaranteed. With the OAD going away Cal is about to hit his stride the right way. By building a roster for college basketball

This bothers me zero.

I want kids that want to be Wildcats!! I trust in Cal to find those kids.

This dude has an inflated image of himself and seems to want to be coddled, he'll get that with Penny, he wouldn't with Cal. Cal has NUMEROUS 5 star kids WANTING to play here.

Paraphrasing Coach Rupp, if Wiseman isn't smart enough to see the benefits of playing for UK, we don't need him.:cool:

NEXT!!!

Well, given Cal is entering his 10th year, a it was bound to happen eventually. I don't like it because I think he could have really developed at UK.

No doubt lots of folks have been in his ear, especially since Penny got the job.

Gives Penny a lot of positive pub when he commits to him. The thing about Cal, he doesn't forget stuff like this, and I'd be shocked if he and his staff weren't kind of aware of this possibly happening.

Ultimately, Cal and UK will be fine recruiting wise. His spot actually opens UK up for more players who may have been looking elsewhere since he was committed there.

I'm not bummed at all. I didn't like him from the beginning and hated his OAD comments. He's not a pro, but he thinks he's one now. Memphis will continue to have issues just like they've had under Pastner. Penny can say whatever he wants right now, he has no record. He will mishandle the situation like they all do.

Jefferies is scared, he doesn't want to compete. Penny is promising everything out of the gate. Cal won't do that.
Penny is also a novelty. He’s a name that guys may want to listen to. Whether he can coach remains to be seen. I think he thinks college is going to be like AAU. A rude awakening is coming
I don’t think Penny has done anything that technically is against the rules. But...

Penny is also a novelty. He’s a name that guys may want to listen to. Whether he can coach remains to be seen. I think he thinks college is going to be like AAU. A rude awakening is coming
I don’t think Penny has done anything that technically is against the rules. But...
Agree. Big jump from Memphis high school scene to the national scene. His name in Memphis matters, but nowhere else right now.
These kids are buying into his hype, the results better match it or the new will wear off real quick.

To be honest, I didn't know his game and knew zero about him. I haven't watched any videos on Jeffries, which is unusual for me with would be recruits. Now I know why.

I'm gonna laugh when Cals answer is Wiseman.

The thing is, Cal hates Memphis. He hates the fans, the school, and the city. Don't let him fool you.

He will gut them from the front, because that's how meaningless they are.

I love it...

Reactions: morgousky
You know if Penny & staff are playing dirty with Wiseman then they definitely did with Jeffries.

Thing is Jeffries needed Cal/UK much worse than Cal/UK needed Jeffries. He's a borderline NBA prospect. Making the NIT under a frustrated AAU Memphis squad will not help him. Hate to lose him but like I said, he loses more in the end.

Smart money says we replace him with a higher ranked player.

This doesn't hurt UK at all just opens a scholarship up for a player that wants to be here and I gurantee you there are plenty that do.......

Reactions: UKvisitor
Big deal? Nah. HUGE deal!! The 2019 class has been predicated on wiseman as the crown jewel. That is now off the table. These 10-25 rated freshmen are not gonna cut it if cal continues OAD. He needs the class elites to have a shot at nattys.

Very bad for our program and very bad for cal no way to spin it. Lost out on the 2018 targets and losing out on the primary 2019 targets.

Big deal? Nah. HUGE deal!! The 2019 class has been predicated on wiseman as the crown jewel. That is now off the table. These 10-25 rated freshmen are not gonna cut it if cal continues OAD. He needs the class elites to have a shot at nattys.

Very bad for our program and very bad for cal no way to spin it. Lost out on the 2018 targets and losing out on the primary 2019 targets.

giphy.gif

PleasingOrdinaryAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif

tom-6.ashx

I'd keep recruiting Wiseman. Don't make it easy on Penny.
I like it.

But part of me also wants to giftwrap Wiseman and give Penny enough rope to hang himself. Expose that poser. Not saying it’s wise but I swear I kept almost making a post about that every time Wiseman—>Memphis was asserted, and now a big part of me wonders if that wouldn’t just be the best way to put an end to this.

Reactions: Tyblue22

Another snowflake.

I like it.

But part of me also wants to giftwrap Wiseman and give Penny enough rope to hang himself. Expose that poser. Not saying it’s wise but I swear I kept almost making a post about that every time Wiseman—>Memphis was asserted, and now a big part of me wonders if that wouldn’t just be the best way to put an end to this.

Keeping Wiseman away and letting Penny drown with a bunch of guys ranked in the 40s and below that he's sold on being hometown heroes and getting them drafted would be beautiful.

This actually might bring Cal's gloves off in the Wiseman battle. If Memphis is playing dirty and Cal was trying to be above the negative recruiting, that could change now.

Just because Jeffries backs out doesn't mean we still don't have a shot at Wiseman he's his own person. You're right at having a shot at National titles you have to have elite players and we still have a great shot at landing any of the following Carey, McDaniels, Hurt, and Anthony and all them are ranked in the top 6 in the country! That to me would classify as elite guys! We just got to give it time to play out and see where these guys end up and enjoy our 2018/2019 season and the guys we have right now and trust Cal on everything else!

Its fine, here's the truth....
Kahlil Whitney is better and we are getting him. Wiseman is off the table, just focus on Carey, and Carey will eat him up. Actually, 2 players got the best of Wiseman this last month, he is not Anthony Davis guys. He good though. These 2 want to play for Penny and I understand that. Let them. Kentucky and Cal want players that can shoot and score.
Dontaie Allen and Kahlil, Scottie Lewis, Bryan Antoine and Keion Brooks, Matthew Hurt, Vernon Carey. any combination of these guys, plus Tyrese Maxey, and anchored by COLE ANTHONY!

Meanwhile, DJ Jeffries and James Wiseman will play in Memphis with no help and be home the 1st round of the tourney. Wiseman will go pro after a year, and DJ Jeffries is stuck in Memphis with no one. I honestly dont blame the kid, its fine. But, he obviously doesnt care much about winning basketball games, because he wont. UK will move on, he might as well just remove us from his list. And, after "talking with his family", they convinced him to open his recruitment, so in turn, I guarantee you he is permanently off of Kentucky's radar, as he should be. Good luck, have fun in Memphis.

Why? Because a low 5 star wants to play for his daddy?

Because:
- Cal just had his first decommit
- Coach K seems to be scrambling in July (without Capel)
- UNC is suddenly looking strong on the recruiting trail
- Kansas has a dark cloud hanging over them
- Arizona isn't a threat for many 5-star recruits
- Memphis and Georgia are getting more love from recruits

It's just been a weird July.

ADVERTISEMENT